Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drycleaner ruined my coat!

Options
  • 13-02-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I gave my winter coat in to a local drycleaners to be cleaned. She rang my husband the following day to say that the drycleaning fluid had turned the collar of my coat black. The coat is champagne coloured!

She offered to "turn" the collar thus hiding the black staining - but it would appear that the drycleaning fluid splashed cos there a few black splash marks on the shoulders and sleeve of the coat.

Anyway, she sent the coat back to the retailer who contacted the manufacturer. The retailer rang the other day to say tis an old coat (1997) and offered €50. My husband said he'd talk to me and phone her back.

To be honest, I find the offer of €50 a bit insulting - the coat cost over €200 at the time. They are about €400 now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

Cabaal wrote: »
    The coat is gone up in price dispite prices going down for everything else?

Prices have dropped lower than they were 13 years ago? That's news to me.

If the coat is still being made I would ask that they replace it.

Edit: Why did the dry cleaner send the coat back to the retailer? and why would the retailer be offering you money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They must replace the coat with a similar one or the same regardless of the age of the coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Alice1

The coat is a "name" and when I checked their website, I see that the coat is now 340 - sterling. I think that is about 400 euro?

Drycleaner lady said she followed the manufacturer's instructions regarding cleaning. She contacted the manufacturer who said talk to the retailer.

I don't really think that I'll get a decent coat for €50 anywhere.

Foggy_lad, thanks for that - I do hope you are right.

That's very very odd. If you have been getting the coat cleaned for the last 13 years it would be strange for the cleaning fluid to suddenly ruin your coat. Someone is telling you fibs here I'd say.

I'd ensure that they replace it, if the coat is still being made I can see no excuse for them not to do so.

Yes, I think it rather odd too. I have got the coat cleaned loads of times and never had any problems. The lady in the drycleaners said she used "Perc" which is (she says) the usual drycleaning fluid. The coat labe has a "P" inside a circle - which she says indicates that "Perc" can be used.

The coat is a "mac" type coat and the manufacturer says (according to retailer) that the rubber in the mac degenerates over time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm amazed the manufacturer is making the exact same coat 13 years later tbh.

Perhaps not the exact same coat - but certainly the same materials (they only do three types in ladies coats). Now I am referring to the colour as champagne - close as I can describe it. The manufacturer website describes the colour as "stone" and it doesn't look quite the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I always thought that Dry Cleaners aren't libel for ruining your clothes. Drop them in at your own risk, etc... don't they have those signs everywhere?

Alice1 wrote: »
    Perhaps not the exact same coat

Well if it's not the same coat then the price they're selling it for doesn't really matter.

If you total your car your insurance company doesn't pay out what the car cost new, it pays out the value of the car at the time of the crash.

IMO you can't reasonably expect them to pay a €400 to replace a 13 year old coat.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youve had 13 years of wear from your coat. If it was a 13yo car a garage had damaged, you wouldnt expect a new one, would you? I think its unfair to demand the value of a new coat. You could always ask them to up their offer, but to the full cost of a new coat for one that you have worn for so many years? A bit much if you ask me.

But thats just a personal opinion, not a legal one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

lads comparing the coat to a car is a tad on the ridiculous side. As above if has been dry cleaned many times before somebody has flucked up

racso1975 wrote: »
    lads comparing the coat to a car is a tad on the ridiculous side. As above if has been dry cleaned many times before somebody has flucked up
    It's a pretty clear and simple analogy, no one is denying someone fúcked up. If someone crashed into you 97 Punto would you expect them to buy you a 2010 Punto? Of course not, because it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They must replace the coat with a similar one or the same regardless of the age of the coat.

Please dont go by that advice, they would only laugh at you.

No, of course I don't expect the value of a new coat - I agree that would be unreasonable.

However, the coat I gave to the drycleaner was in perfect condition - the coat she showed to me after the drycleaning process is unwearable (is that a real word?) So while I do not expect the value of a new coat I do expect a bit more than €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I do expect a bit more than €50.
    Like what, out of interest?

No, of course I don't expect the value of a new coat - I agree that would be unreasonable.

However, the coat I gave to the drycleaner was in perfect condition - the coat she showed to me after the drycleaning process is unwearable (is that a real word?) So while I do not expect the value of a new coat I do expect a bit more than €50.
    Then decide on the figure you would be happy with and suggest that to the drycleaner. Then you either get that amount, negotiate somewhere in between, or take them to the small claims court and see what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think when you leave an item into a drycleaner it is at your own risk.

IMO, and being realistic I think the drycleaner has made a fair offer for your thirteen year old coat.

I think the car analogy is a good description in this instance.

Amdublin, the drycleaner hasn't made any offer:confused:

So who offered the fifty you mention in your first post.. Im confused. Surely the manufacturer or retailer has no responsibility here?

Amdublin, the drycleaner hasn't made any offer:confused:

Who offered the €50??

The retailer?! Why are you dealing with the retailer?? I'm confussed!!!! :confused:

Anyway, whoever offered the €50, imo that is a fair offer for a thirteen(!) year old coat.

Realistically, what more can you be looking for?

Why not bring it to the Small Claims court and see what the would they consider a fair offer?

• Advertisement

The coat is a "name" and when I checked their website, I see that the coat is now 340 - sterling. I think that is about 400 euro?

Drycleaner lady said she followed the manufacturer's instructions regarding cleaning. She contacted the manufacturer who said talk to the retailer.

I don't really think that I'll get a decent coat for €50 anywhere.

Foggy_lad, thanks for that - I do hope you are right.
    used to work in a cleaners and what has most likely happened is your coat was cleaned in the wrong chemicals or was possibly cleaned in dirty cleaning fluids(after cleaning the fluid is distilled to remove the dirt from the clothes) or may have just been scorched in the drying process, while i worked at this there was complaints daily and the "boss" was at the small claims court almost weekly as some of the coats jackets etc were worth €400+.

just to add the retailer has nothing to do with this as you are dealing with the cleaners who you paid to provide a service which they messed up! and they can put "at owners risk" on their tickets or on big signs in the shop all they like but in reality they have a duty of care and the only time "at owners risk" works is when they get the owner of the garment to sign a waiver before cleaning an item!

op they will have to replace your garment or provide enough cash for you to obtain a reasonable replacement.

op they will have to replace your garment or provide enough cash for you to obtain a reasonable replacement.

Thanks for your informed reply foggy.

So, now I guess what Alice and the drycleaner need to decide is what is a reasonable replacement for a thirteen year old coat.

I've said it already but imo €50 sounds reasonable to me....

amdublin wrote: »
    Thanks for your informed reply foggy.

So, now I guess what Alice and the drycleaner need to decide is what is a reasonable replacement for a thirteen year old coat.

I've said it already but imo €50 sounds reasonable to me....
    the age of the coat dosn't really come into it! she had a coat and now she has a ruined coat because of the dry cleaners and now she has to stop them taking her to the cleaners:)

The drycleaner contacted the manufacturer to ascertain why the coat fabric reacted in that way to the drycleaning fluid. From what I can gather, the manufacturer referred her to the retailer. (That style of coat was originally made in 1997 - I don't have it for 13 years though!)

I'm not sure why the retailer is involved at all. I would have thought that my "contract" was with the drycleaner. The drycleaner said she had to ascertain if there was a fault in the manufacture of the coat cos if there was, she could not be regarded as liable for any damage. My DH is of the opinion that the retailer in question are the main agents in this country for the manufacturer (UK).

He is to ring the retailer tomorrow and will know more then.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Just a couple of points.

The drycleaner wouldn't be liable if the manufacturer had mislabeled the care lable. As in they used percethylene because the care label said to, but it wasn't actually suitable.
    That';s why she would have gotten in touch with the manufacturer. standard procedure where there's a bit of doubt over what went wrong.

That's its turned black does suggest dirty perc or another chemical that reacted badly with the cloth.

Anyway, good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I often got call from dry cleaners as a retailer, for a range of queries such as discoloured buttons, shrunken lining / garment etc.

Often I owned the same item and mine would have dry cleaned perfectly well. It seams hit and miss, next question usually was, can you send the dry cleaners a quote for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Who'd be a dry cleaner? Seems like a thankless profession as you don't know what will happen when you start cleaning something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wyndham wrote: »
    Who'd be a dry cleaner? Seems like a thankless profession as you don't know what will happen when you start cleaning something.

Sounds risky alright,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

the age of the coat dosn't really come into it! she had a coat and now she has a ruined coat because of the dry cleaners and now she has to stop them taking her to the cleaners:)

The age of the coat is important.
    She had a 13 year old coat before, now she has a ruined 13 year old coat.
    All she is entitled to is another 13 year old coat, not a new one.

Advertisement