Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voting for the wrong people

• 13-02-2010 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Can someone please explain to me why I cannot question religion here without getting a certain reaction from regular posters?

Xluna I am highlighting your reply because I enjoy reading your posts.

"once in office a person should not be allowed to make laws based on obvious religious belief. "

Agreed. What about those people that have already passed such laws here in Ireland.

"You can only change the voters minds be debating and raising these issues. Views such as the OPs are counter productive,imo, and lead to accusations of militant atheism."

You cannot debate any longer. The religious are locked in some kind of Star Trek type time loop system, that no amount of logic or proof can free them from.

Surely the fact that if only one seventh of the planets population religion turned out to be true, the other 87% of the worlds population are wrong if enough to convince any rational person.

The lack of any historical biblical material is an added bonus on top.

Why is religion given any tolerance. Why do I get blamed if I offend someone who has a delusional belief. Why don't they get angry with the people who conned them.

Does anyone else here see a difference between scientology or Catholicism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The long and the short of it is that you don't respect the right of other people to hold silly beliefs, and you don't respect our right to respect the right of other people to hold silly beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭allisbleak

The long and the short of it is that you don't respect the right of other people to hold silly beliefs, and you don't respect our right to respect the right of other people to hold silly beliefs.

I do not have that problem.

Silly beliefs are silly beliefs.

I believe that people can believe what they want.

However if you tell them the truth about their religion and their bible, and they still want to believe then that it is an issue, and I cannot respect stupid people. They do not deserve respect.

I feel for the children of brainwashed people.

Religion has no place in Schools or government or business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

allisbleak wrote: »
    I do not have that problem.

Silly beliefs are silly beliefs.

I believe that people can believe what they want.

However if you tell them the truth about their religion and their bible, and they still want to believe then that it is an issue, and I cannot respect stupid people. They do not deserve respect.

I feel for the children of brainwashed people.

Religion has no place in Schools or government or business.

Being hysterical isn't going to get you anywhere. Try witty, cutting remarks instead of loud cries of "stupidity"; being religious doesn't automatically = stupid. Humans can compartmentailise their brain in remarkable ways, and just because someone believes something silly is no reason to hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭allisbleak

Being hysterical isn't going to get you anywhere. Try witty, cutting remarks instead of loud cries of "stupidity"; being religious doesn't automatically = stupid. Humans can compartmentailise their brain in remarkable ways, and just because someone believes something silly is no reason to hate them.

Sorry, where does the word hysterical or hate come from?

I am trying to have a logical adult discussion on an atheist forum.

being religious doesn't automatically = stupid.

Yes it does.

Believing the world is flat and 6,000 years old and ignoring ALL THE EVIDENCE, and that god is always watching you but he's a good god, that is delusional behaviour for weak willed minds.

There is no excuse for tolerating this behaviour anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

allisbleak wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why I cannot question religion here without getting a certain reaction from regular posters?
    You are not questioning religion. You are just trying to use this forum as a place to rant and insult religious people in general. People like our mothers, fathers, partners, friends etc.

If you have something of use to offer then start a thread. Otherwise take your angst elsewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement