Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar (but slightly different) with my UPC connection. Besides the fact that it's far slower than it ought to be, the wireless connection seems to drop for a few seconds once or twice an hour. I get a little yellow exclamation mark by my wireless symbol in my windows task bar, then after a few seconds it reconnects and I'm back online.

This is massively frustrating, especially when streaming audio or video, since it essentially kills the link and forces me to refresh. I've tried changing wifi channels but to no avail. What can I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

bbor005 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm having a similar (but slightly different) with my UPC connection. Besides the fact that it's far slower than it ought to be, the wireless connection seems to drop for a few seconds once or twice an hour. I get a little yellow exclamation mark by my wireless symbol in my windows task bar, then after a few seconds it reconnects and I'm back online.

This is massively frustrating, especially when streaming audio or video, since it essentially kills the link and forces me to refresh. I've tried changing wifi channels but to no avail. What can I do?

Have you checked what channels other networks in area are using? If not use inSSIDer to see what is around and what channels they are on and change to a channel not being used by other networks

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

bbor005 wrote: »
    The wireless connection seems to drop for a few seconds once or twice an hour.

Read my post above.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

hey,

so i had the tech out on friday and wouldn't you know it the line tested great, he did replace some wire? apparently and the connection was great for the weekend.. today we are back to the same! getting very annoying.

55614804.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Have tech here tomorrow,,any tips on what to ask him to check regards to the drops after starting downloading ?

Ta

They would actually not send a tech out as they said my line was tested ok,, so had to say tv box was broken too .. ffs. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

hey,

so i had the tech out on friday and wouldn't you know it the line tested great, he did replace some wire? apparently and the connection was great for the weekend.. today we are back to the same! getting very annoying.

55614804.png

Are you the only one using the connection? I saw similar results this weekend, but it turned out my bro had left a torrent seeding with no upload cap. Presumably holding up TCP ACKs.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what happens if you test it after power cycling the modem, is it still the same or does it improve?

yeah i tried reboots etc disabled cisco firewalls and my brother hasn't been on it for a few days. 2nd tech visit this friday, the guy i was speakin to was actually fairly good, he did advise that they have massive work going on all over the place for their new packages and that is most likely effectin loads of people.

won't even bother postin new speeds, he was shocked at my upload and ping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm having weird problems with my UPC 15mb connection. I am using a Mac in the Maynooth area and access the net via a Cisco N router wirelessly.

I've attached a screenshot of what I get when I try to access Rte.ie and searches are extremely slow. That said my speedtest.net results are good.

Is it me or UPC?

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/970831781.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]970831781.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Again, slow connection times tonight to websites (wired and wireless) despite the results below.

970847821.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

How can the connection be slow if the speeds and ping are good?? Is this an acknowledged issue with UPC? I haven't had problems with them in ages but maybe they work they are doing is impacting on the service.

Should I contact them for support and or would changing to OpenDNS help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

Me too in Rathfarnham, first time really it's been slow since installed last Xmas.

Boards.ie page took about 45 secs to load - I guess it's down to upgrades ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

same here in The Coombe area. Thought it was just me.

I do know they are getting ready to test the 100mb connections before the roll out soon! I'm guessing that's having a knock on effect! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

so much for the free upgrade speeds!

never had a problem before.

Initial speedtest was 1.24 Mbs download and 0.01 Mbs upload
    Ping 1460ms

2nd try - error msg while testing upload
    3rd try - latency error

now I cant even load the speedtest.net webpage :mad:
    (hence why I cant post pic)

Is there any official word from UPC?
    (im in the D16 area)

hey all,

im back again, after two tech visits and a couple of calls we still have an issue.. at the moment on a 25mb line im getting 24mb DL 104kbps UL! and my ping is over 1800ms..

they have told me the issue has been identified on the line external to my apartment and have given me assurances that it will be fixed by the weekend..

Im happy with the way they are handling my case but am slightly worried that other people with the exact same connection who got the same free upgrade are posting similar speeds and issues.. well only time will tell so i'll check back in when its "fixed" as it took me about five minutes to load this page.. bring back dial up lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Haha you won't guess what happened as soon as I tried to open this thread! UPC dropped connection! Now that is comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

My connection is very slow tonight - 2.5Mbps, should be 15....

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

been having simular issues the last month(Dublin 11), browsing is poxy slow, cant log onto some websites but downloads have not been affected. No problems so far tonight.

Yeah my dl has always been ok, just the upload which is at nearly nothing at this stage. Tomorrow is supposedly the big fix day.. Better be I'm sick of browsing on my phone

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yeah my dl has always been ok, just the upload which is at nearly nothing at this stage. Tomorrow is supposedly the big fix day.. Better be I'm sick of browsing on my phone

Got ntl in the app 3 months ago I've had the same problems too. zero upload during peak hours. makes webpages ages to load, usually get an error when doing the upload speedtest.
    had 3 engineer visits, say theres no problem but yet when i ring the helpline they tell me theres a massive problem? right now I can't really view webpages that good, but yet I've downloaded 75gig the last 24 hours, download is perfect the upload just ****s everything up :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Try using OpenDNS or the google DNS servers and see does that help? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Na I never bothered trying open dns or anything, as the problem does not happen until 7pm & goes away after 11pm..
    The last engineer visit was good now, he did say the other engineers were lazy as they didn't look into it, he said there is a good few upc connections all connected & its a bit outdated the connection box?
    he called me back later that day after reviewing my modem ip from the last week and had confirmed with me that contention is definitely is a problem on it, and that there is also a noise issue, its still not been fixed though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I'm on 30/3M in Cork a few wks now and I'm having a few dropped connections and slow browsing too. It's def modem or UPC related cause my pc is clean and My connection to the net wired.
    My speedtests are good but browsing can crawl at night. I don't think contention is a huge problem in my area cause there's not a huge amount of people on UPC where I am.

I haven't reported anything yet cause I want to make sure there's a problem first.

I might try opendns or google dns and see if that improves things. UPC might be using a transparent proxy server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

982692478.png

and to Amsterdam I get...

982694572.png

Thats on a wireless 30 Mb/s connection in Dublin 8 (off Cork Street). The actual connection seems steady enough (just dropping once or twice every 20 hours or so :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm on 30/3M in Cork a few wks now and I'm having a few dropped connections and slow browsing too. It's def modem or UPC related cause my pc is clean and My connection to the net wired.
    My speedtests are good but browsing can crawl at night. I don't think contention is a huge problem in my area cause there's not a huge amount of people on UPC where I am.

I haven't reported anything yet cause I want to make sure there's a problem first.

I might try opendns or google dns and see if that improves things. UPC might be using a transparent proxy server.

i'm using 30/3 in Cork but haven't been suffering any dropped connections. I am using OpenDNS but even before I switched over to it I wasn't having any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'd agree with the few who mentioned changing the DNS servers. I've changed mine to the Google one's and browsing is noticeably faster.

I'd agree with the few who mentioned changing the DNS servers. I've changed mine to the Google one's and browsing is noticeably faster.

Regardless of whether it improves your browsing speed, something like OpenDNS is a no-brainer tbh with the options it gives you for filtering sites (esp known spam/botnet/spyware sites etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

How do I do this opendns or google dns thing?
    Is it just a case of putting in their dns servers into my modem?

Can that be done with the Cisco? Mine seems to be locked out.

You can change it in the settings on your computer and that'll be enough. There are instructions on how to do this on the OpenDNS site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If you have the UPC cisco modem, the DNS setting is in the "Setup" -> "Basic Settings" -> "Network Configuration" page.

Advertisement