Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

My connection has been acting funny today. Will stop working for a few minutes at a time. But even when the connection drops, Windows7 doesn't report a loss in connection and the there's nothing out of the ordinary about the lights on the router and modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

after third tech visit im on a totally new router, rewired exposed cabling and a 7 day tech watch through my imac? imec number, can't remember what that number is called.

was slow already last night so not looking to good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

el dude wrote: »
    My connection has been acting funny today. Will stop working for a few minutes at a time. But even when the connection drops, Windows7 doesn't report a loss in connection and the there's nothing out of the ordinary about the lights on the router and modem.

That seems to be charachteristic of UPCs connection dropping. Mine does the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Changed to Google DNS last night and things have improved noticeably.

But it's still flakey as hell.

If I do a speedtest, upload and download speeds are still stonking. But websites still take ages to start loading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Should I set openDNS on both my router and comp? or just my router as we have two comps running off it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

grizzly wrote: »
    Should I set openDNS on both my router and comp? or just my router as we have two comps running off it?

If wired, then ur pc will do. If laptops then do it in your router!

Thanks, I'll try that.

I've been using openDNS and this has improved my page seeks greatly :).

Although when I check the IP updater it says using "OpenDNS? no". I've placing the DNS address in the router settings, but they ask for this only if I'm using a static IP. When as a standard UPC customer I'm guessing I'm dynamic. Do I need to configure anything else?

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know if it is possible to force an update on a 2203? I got a new modem recently but it's on the old Scientific Atlanta firmware and I have had "DCC aborted" dropouts. Or will I just have to wait until it updates itself?

Advertisement