Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Have you tried ringing them to see what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

I am in Beaumont, Dublin 9 and had 4 outages that I noticed since 24 Feb (when I signed up). One was over 2h.

Btw their Cisco wireless modems suck, it would drop off the wireless from time to time completely so you can only use the cable ports, then I'd have to reboot the modem so I can get to it over wireless. Even if it doesn't do that it regularly drops 3-5% of packets and I'm not using any of the proprietary 108Mbps/turbo speed options.

PS. I asked for the reason for these service outages earlier today and they said that they would investigate and call me... although somehow I feel that they don't really need to investigate anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Ref: xxxxxx
    Dear xxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for your email.
    If you are still experiencing problems with your internet, please advise, and I will log your fault with our Broadband team, who will contact you regarding this issue.
    Also, please carry out the following checks:
    Is the basic cable TV working?
    Are all cables in securely? There are 3 going into the modem check all of them at both ends. (The leads are: the Catv connection, the power connection and either USB or Ethernet connection)
    Please reboot your modem as follows:
    - Shut down the PC (restart will not do)
    - Power off the modem (either unplug at the mains or remove the Power lead from the modem itself)
    - Remove the cable connecting the PC (or router)to the modem (USB or Ethernet)
    - Wait 30 Seconds
    - Power back on the modem and wait until the SYNC and RDY lights are on SOLID - Flashing is no good
    - As soon as the SYNC and RDY lights are SOLID, reconnect the cable between the modem and the PC / router
    - Power on the PC
    - Check to see if you can access the internet.

If this does not work, please advise whether the SYNC and RDY lights are flashing or not, as I may need to book you a service call.

Motorola Modem Reboot:
    Please reboot your modem as follows:Check that all connections at rear of modem are securely in place
    Unplug the cable modem power cord from the AC wall socket.
    Power down your PC.
    Plug the cable modem power cord back into the AC wall socket.
    Power up your PC
    After power up tests have completed check that the modem is NOT in standby. If the Standby Light is On, Press standby button one. Standby Light should now be off
    Please advise if any of the following are correct:
    If this light remains ON.
    If Power Light is off.
    If Receive Light is off or flashing.
    If Send Light is off or flashing.
    If Activity light is off check that the USB or Ethernet cable is fully connected to the modem. Please advise if it is and light remains off

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie
    Kind regards,
    Stephen
    Chorus ntl Customer Support Team
    Chorus ntl, proud winner of the best Internet Service Provider 2008, has introduced a new Premium PC Support line to assist customers with a wide range of computer issues. For more information, please visit: www.upc.ie/customersupport -> q&a section -> What type of technical support is available.

--Original Message--
    To: broadbandsupport@upc.ie
    Subject: Connection keeps dropping
    Account number,
    Hi, my connection the the internet keeps dropping and reconnecting on 2 pc's and 1 xbox in the house, we have a netgear wireless router wich you installed, and has been happening over the past few days, we have'nt changed anything or set up new connections, can you help with this problem?
    Also the network is a open network with no wep code, can you tell me how to set this up?
    UPC Communications Ireland Limited
    (Trading as Chorus and NTL)
    Registered Number in Ireland: 435668
    Registered Address:
    East Point Business Park,
    Building P2, Clontarf,
    Dublin 3, Ireland

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the attention of the addressee(s) only and are or may be confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system. If you are not the addressee, any review, retransmission, disclosure, copying or other use of this email and any attachments is prohibited. Statements and opinions expressed in this email may not represent those of the company and any representations or commitments in this email are subject to contract

Any of this work for use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eh on behalf of UPC support:rolleyes: can I suggest to you that you put wpa on your wireless network if you have not done so already?

Usually its http://192.168.0.1 Or 1.1 to access the basic admin page - you may then have to enter a user name and password - usually its admin and password respectively.

You can then access the various settings - make sure and use wpa and enter a password - save your settings and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

right here goes, hopefully i will stay connected long enough to post my experience.

i have been having dropped connections very frequently on upc cisco wireless, its a 10 meg connection in sandyford. i have had the technician out twice in the past month, had the splitter box replaced wiring checked and on the second visit, had a new router off them. im narrowing down my solutions to being 1) faulty wiring into the house from the outside, or 2) network issues, as a result of reading this thread i am of the opinion its the latter.

my connection is dropping some days probably 20 times, and its off for an hour or so at a time, then its back and might work fine for a day or so. i have spent more time on the phone to ntl about this issue than i care to recollect, i just get the same old spiel and its getting really frustrating. the technician who was out yesterday who gave me the new router thingy said it had to be a faulty router but this constant dropping happens since i switched it on at 7 pm this evenin, its driving me nuts! Im not doing any downloads as such, just some online gaming on my ps3 and when i open a message received or something (equivalent to a sms) its dropping. i just didnt have the heart to call ntl again this evening about it. my boss is going to think im taking the michael if i ask him for a third day off to be here when a technician calls. i feel like im being left with little else choice but to look to alternative provider :( well that and the fact that they have tried to sell me homephone every time i ring to complain about the dropped connection!!! grrr !

i dont know how to do that error log thing that was on previous posts so sorry if thats a crucial bit of info! anyone else having this problem that has called customer service to report it? im interested to know if anyone else has similar experience to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I got told to call some premium number when I asked about this. Some third party who deals with telling you how to switch on and off your modem at a premium rate....

Don't worry though UPC will refund you when they discover its actually their fault. **** this. I'll just have constantly watch over my downloads... To anyone who is thinking of switching to UPC don't. Their as bad as they are good.

They also tried to sell me their phone service, I got UPC 2 weeks ago and I've got that "offer" maybe 4-5 times already. I wish there was a checkbox do not offer phone to this customer anymore in their CRM.

Yah, and all that restarting thing when upstream is blinking is totally insane.

I used mobile broadband before UPC and hesitated to cancel my internet during the 7 day period but now I regret that.

It's best to stick with DSL, that's the most reliable technology. The problem with internet over coaxial cables is that the underlaying infrastructure is very prone to outages, anything happens from your home to where the coaxial cable ends and you're left w/o internet. With cable TV you only need the downlink which is far more reliable and that's the reason it's OK for cable TV but not for internet, most outages would be from lost uplink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

mtsachev wrote: »
    They also tried to sell me their phone service, I got UPC 2 weeks ago and I've got that "offer" maybe 4-5 times already. I wish there was a checkbox do not offer phone to this customer anymore in their CRM.

Yah, and all that restarting thing when upstream is blinking is totally insane.

I used mobile broadband before UPC and hesitated to cancel my internet during the 7 day period but now I regret that.

It's best to stick with DSL, that's the most reliable technology. The problem with internet over coaxial cables is that the underlaying infrastructure is very prone to outages, anything happens from your home to where the coaxial cable ends and you're left w/o internet. With cable TV you only need the downlink which is far more reliable and that's the reason it's OK for cable TV but not for internet, most outages would be from lost uplink.

I'd disagree with you about the reliability of cable. I've been with UPC for about 2 years now and have only had one other problem besides this. Its about on par with the DSL service I used to get off Eircom before it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I got told to call some premium number when I asked about this. Some third party who deals with telling you how to switch on and off your modem at a premium rate....

Don't worry though UPC will refund you when they discover its actually their fault. **** this. I'll just have constantly watch over my downloads... To anyone who is thinking of switching to UPC don't. Their as bad as they are good.

Its absolutely disgraceful that they are referring people to that premium number:mad: I'd love to know how many 'innocents' get referred to that number every day.

Its a disgrace. They're not interested in helping you unless you call that number. Surely that's not legal. I'm paying for a service which I'm not getting.

• Advertisement

Oh, forgot to mention. They were supposed to investigate why there are so many issues with my service and call me back. And they did yesterday morning but I couldn't hear anything when I answered the phone, looked up the phone number in Google and it said UPC customer care. No call afterwards. That's what "customer care" is supposed to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

No issues in Dublin 24... Im on UPC.. Using the old voip modem and a neatgear wireless router..

Im on 10 mbps and its been grand ever since i got it.. Was downloading movies last night in record time..

So it doesnt seem to affect all areas.. But i will keep a closer eye on it tonight and see it anything comes up!

There was an outage last evening from about 6:15 to 7:45. I got a call from them today and they confirmed that there was a major outage in Drumcondra, Beaumont, and Raheny, said that it was just a one time thing and should not happen again... starts to sound familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

the_law you are right, exact same thing has been happening to me after large downloads speeds of 3mb/s or more, I presumed my modem couldn't handle the speed and the connection dropped.

The way I get the connection back is a /release /renew in cmd promt, annoying to say the least, might bite the bullet and ring them tomorrow about it and suggest others do too, to try get this fixed.

Im in Dublin 24, using a Scientific Atlanta epc2203

Its still happening to me. I have also now seen it happen in both the Coolock and Raheny area. Both times I checked the logs of the Scientific Atlanta modem and the same set of errors are there.

Clearly its a fault with my hardware :rolleyes: why can't they just accept its a fault on their side and fix it.

Etnies report back if you have any luck with your phone call. I got fobbed off to the external premium number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I live out in swords and I have had this issue for a while, even before the 30Mb upgrades, same errors as shown from the scientific atlanta in this thread.

Logging onto the netgear and releasing and refreshing the IP sorts it. Definitely more likely to happen in I kick off a usenet dl, so I agree with the mention of switching channels above.

When not downloading mine drops maybe once or twice a day, its mildly irritating, but would really feck me off if it occurred more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 minced_alive

All,

I have same problem since ~ 10 Feb. UPC tech people seem to be incompetent/incapable to understand what the problem is. Download sucks at times, have random routing problems, BB is unreliable. I'm literally pulling my hairs out of pure despair as the only thing UPC folks seem to be capable of is to sound like a broken record - problem isn't on our side - everything is working fine, call paid OS support,...

Had about 3 techs calling in, transmission crew at least twice to no avail. One tech didn't show up at all and I got the blaim. Modem still drops (intermittently) out. I use about 5 different PCs, 3 operating systems and have recently upgraded firmware on my Linksys WRT610N so wireless isn't the issue.

Here excerpt from my SA EPC2203 modem:

Tue Mar 23 09:37:50 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Tue Mar 23 09:11:16 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Tue Mar 23 09:11:07 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Tue Mar 23 09:09:57 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Tue Mar 23 09:09:36 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Tue Mar 23 09:09:06 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Tue Mar 23 01:54:47 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Tue Mar 23 01:54:42 2010 68000200 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response
    Tue Mar 23 01:54:36 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Tue Mar 23 01:54:26 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Tue Mar 23 01:54:15 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Tue Mar 23 01:53:35 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Tue Mar 23 01:44:50 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Tue Mar 23 01:44:41 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Tue Mar 23 01:44:21 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Tue Mar 23 01:44:12 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Tue Mar 23 01:43:32 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Mon Mar 22 20:19:22 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Mon Mar 22 20:19:08 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Mar 22 20:18:16 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Mon Mar 22 20:17:15 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Mon Mar 22 20:16:56 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Mon Mar 22 20:16:11 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Mon Mar 22 20:15:08 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Mon Mar 22 20:15:03 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Mon Mar 22 20:14:33 2010 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Mon Mar 22 19:43:58 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Mon Mar 22 19:43:49 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Mar 22 19:43:40 2010 67020600 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
    Mon Mar 22 19:43:39 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Mon Mar 22 18:05:50 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Mon Mar 22 18:05:42 2010 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

Found one interesting forum though:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21085-42-cable-internet-connection-constantly-timing

looks like it is problem between headend and the tap, definitely UPC internal network problem.

I'm thinking of logging a case with ComReg or terminating contract with UPC as apparently nobody cares...

Any ideas?

I had an interesting issue today, while everything was working upstream and downstream both started blinking rapidly at the same time while online stayed on. Was a 10-15 min outage and I guess the network issue was resolved while I was on hold and doing the regular modem + computer restart procedure.

On the good side they said my account was flagged for a "special" home phone offer and I told them to unflag me. Hope it helps.

I have magnet DSL scheduled for activation on 10 Apr and I'll cancel my UPC broadband afterwards. I'm OK with paying for an overlapping month of service but the 100 euro cancellation fee sounds like a rip off to me considering their service quality.

I have magnet DSL scheduled for activation on 10 Apr and I'll cancel my UPC broadband afterwards. I'm OK with paying for an overlapping month of service but the 100 euro cancellation fee sounds like a rip off to me considering their service quality.

I'm looking into Smart right now and will consider Magnet as well. I'm not aware of any 'cancellation' fee as I'm not on any offer... Will probably keep TV services though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I'm looking into Smart right now and will consider Magnet as well. I'm not aware of any 'cancellation' fee as I'm not on any offer... Will probably keep TV services though...

If you cancel before your 12 months contract is up you have to pay a €100 cancellation fee, if you are however longer than 12 months you have to give 30 days notice only.

• Advertisement

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    If you cancel before your 12 months contract is up you have to pay a €100 cancellation fee, if you are however longer than 12 months you have to give 30 days notice only.

Didn't opt for any contract or binding period though... I'm with UPC well over 12 months and never had such problems in the area I live...

It's disgraceful to be treated like a piece of sh*t, it hurts as I'm skilled enough to outsmart every tech in UPC I spoke with so far...

UPC people can't even keep their promises. They don't call you back when they say they will, their complaints dept. is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Didn't opt for any contract or binding period though... I'm with UPC well over 12 months and never had such problems in the area I live...

It's disgraceful to be treated like a piece of sh*t, it hurts as I'm skilled enough to outsmart every tech in UPC I spoke with so far...

UPC people can't even keep their promises. They don't call you back when they say they will, their complaints dept. is laughable.

If you're over 12 months no problem, but you do not opt for a contract, it is an initial 12 month contract for all. If you upgrade services etc as well it can include a new contract.

From what I've read here on the board smart went down in service quality after being purchased by digiweb. No personal experience with any, it's just that by looking through posts by other people I got the impression that magnet have the highest customer satisfaction level and service quality.

What's very important too the magnet techs here on the board look decent unlike almost anyone I've talked to from UPC support.

From what I've read here on the board smart went down in service quality after being purchased by digiweb. No personal experience with any, it's just that by looking through posts by other people I got the impression that magnet have the highest customer satisfaction level and service quality.

What's very important too the magnet techs here on the board look decent unlike almost anyone I've talked to from UPC support.

Thanks, it's good to know. Will probably look into ComReg thing first though and see what do they have to say.

I wouldn't mind to have the service as it is right now, but for fraction of its original price. I'm paying for 20Mb and getting 4Mb out of it at times. All I need UPC to admit their amateurism and reimburse me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I also signed up to UPC and it was installed yesterday
    30 meg line.....Got 16 when it was put in
    Guy said he'd get an engineer to "tweak it at the node" as its not uncommon to get lower than its supposed to be. Said it would be fine by last night.

It wasn't!

Then yesterday, over the period of about 6 hours, I dropped connection about 6 or 7 times. I assumed this was down to the "tweaking at the node" and just reset the modem each time. Got up this morning and its gone again. Did another reset. Have lost it 9 times since!!! Started to search Google and found lots of threads here with same issue.

My 30 meg was 9 this morning. Went to 19 a while ago and then back to 12.

The wife has just came in and thrown the TV remote at me! Screaming for me to contact Sky again! TV was plugged in all day and 3 times when she went to use it, the box had no display, no lights, nothing....Rang UPC and they told us to unplug it for 20 seconds and plug back in. Sure enough, that sorted it, but it had to be done twice again after that. The other issue is, if she goes up 2 or 3 channels, it sometimes won't budge, then flies up, then jumps back, then opens menus etc!!!!!

Is this what UPC call a "service"????

And to think I couldn't wait to get rid of Sky and Eircom!!!

Anyway, can anybody help me out please?
    I am thinking I could plug my Eircom Netopia router into an Ethernet port of the Cisco EPC2425 and use the Netopia to provide the wireless? Am I clutching at straws here or can that be done? If so, what do I need to alter in the settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Mad_Mike wrote: »

The other issue is, if she goes up 2 or 3 channels, it sometimes won't budge, then flies up, then jumps back, then opens menus etc!!!!!

Mike, as a matter of interest is your TV a philips LCD, OR, is the problem worse when the TV is just turned on but abates after it's been on a while, say 20 mins.

I and others had this issue with the DVR box from UPC and it was caused by IR leakage. The fix involved putting some tape over the IR receiver on the UPC box.

Mike, in my case TV problem was probably caused by wrongly installed splitter (discovered after 15 months of flawless service), but strangely enough, it started at same time as BB/phone problem.

As of BB, this is the reason why I don't want to go for 30Mb as of yet. Hate the idea of 12 mth contract.

Are you really sure that wireless is the problem? I bet it is the T3/DHCP problem. I'm lucky to have my own wireless router...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hi there,

My problems started yesterday, the internet just slowed down and it's worse than a 56K modem now, everything is crawling.

I left it over night but this morning, it's still the same... UPC's service dropped by a lot in recent times.

EDIT: Turned off my router, connected my modem directly, and the speeds were great again... maybe was the router's fault after all or a coincidence.

EDIT: Wrong! It IS UPC, just connected directly again and the same problem..... slow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Minced Alive - did they give you a new modem? I had similar issues and a new modem (the Cisco modem/router - disabled) fixed the issues. I also use the Linksys Wrt610N as my router and have had no issues since. UPC are doing un-announced work on their cable network and this I think is what pi***s people off. So tv, broadband etc will be effected no matter what we do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Ardmore3 wrote: »
    UPC are doing un-announced work on their cable network and this I think is what pi***s people off.

That would be my guess, since "the problems" start at night and end in the morning.... usually, as long as they keep fixing and improving the network in the end though, I'm fine with that.

Advertisement