Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 minced_alive

Cool I'll give that a go next time so and report back. Should I just do ipconfig /renew ?
    If your Win machine is directly connected to the cable modem, then yes. Otherwise do it on your wireless router instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Thu Apr 01 11:23:04 2010 73040100 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Time Not Established 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Thu Apr 01 00:51:21 2010 67020600 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
    Thu Apr 01 00:51:21 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Wed Mar 31 21:37:35 2010 67020600 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
    Wed Mar 31 21:37:35 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Time Not Established 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response
    received - T3 time-out
    Wed Mar 31 20:36:18 2010 67020600 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
    Wed Mar 31 20:36:18 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Wed Mar 31 00:31:39 2010 82000200 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Wed Mar 31 00:31:30 2010 67020600 Critical (3) DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
    Wed Mar 31 00:31:30 2010 82000400 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

About four or five times there in the last 24 hours. Joke of a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I had the DCC problem so I contacted tech support about it about 2 weeks ago. I explained the problem and told them im not too bothered about speeds as long as my connection is solid. They said they'd escalate it and someone would ring me about it. Almost immediately my connection stopped dropping and im yet to receive the call. As long as things continue as they are im happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If your Win machine is directly connected to the cable modem, then yes. Otherwise do it on your wireless router instead...

Its still happening :( How do I renew my IP through my router, there doesnt seem to be any option in the belkin settings to renew ip from modem? Is it possible to log into the modem, its a scientific atlanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

been having the same dropout problems in Terenure. Nearly always a couple of minutes after starting a large download.

This problem began EXACTLY the day after I upgraded from 20meg to 30meg on new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Makaveli 27

Just found this thread. It all makes sense know. I've been having dropped connection issues in Knocklyon for the past couple of weeks. It didnt help that my wireless router decided to give up after 24X7 non stop usage for the last 5 years. Got a new wireless router yesterday and it dropped the connection once since then. I never restart my modem, just restarting the router does the trick for me. Its quite annoying as I play games online a lot and getting kicked in the middle of a game is not fun :(

Im in firhouse and having the same problems. I use xbox live and most evenings the internet connection just drops out. This can last for hours, it says the console can contact the internet but not xbox live. It also says my ISP may be blocking access to xbox live??

Is there something wrong with Upc lately?? This has been going on for weeks, getting frustrated and considering changing provider altogether.
    Or does anyone know if there is a problem on UPCs end or is it just me?? or even a solution coming soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Having the same dropout problems in Galway the last few weeks. Nearly always a couple of minutes after starting a large download.

Having the same dropout problems in Galway the last few weeks. Nearly always a couple of minutes after starting a large download.

This seems to be the trigger. I've been online all morning without a dropout just surfing. If you start a download (in my case using a download manager to max out the connection) you get a few minutes before connection goes. Surely it can't be too difficult for UPC to figure out what the problem is :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

This is exactly what I'm getting lately.

Browsing pages is fine but once you download something it craps out. Page browsing remains fine so its not a lost connection completely, just to the download. The download simply stops.

It happens on all machines in the house plus the xbox if downloading a demo.

Discovered if you reboot your modem the problem goes away but a few days later its back.

Was wondering if UPC are doing some kind of extreme traffic shaping?

Its not been as bad in the last few days since i changed my DNS over to google - now either its a coincidence or it fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

My connection was dropping every 5 to 10 min yesterday evening, I'm in Marino.

I am not exaggerating!!!!!

I have to release/renew ip to get it back.

Spoke to support and said I'm going to cancel - they are sending out an engineer start of next week.

He suggested setting my IP to static... it made no difference.

If they don't fix it (which I don't think they will) - I have to cancel.

** I would advise anyone thinking of getting UPC to think again. **

Jesus Christ!!! it just went now while writting this message !!!!!

I'm SWITCHING to Magnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I had this issue for ages also and it was getting really annoying and I eventually decided to call support yesterday

A girl there had me configure remote access so she could look at the settings and alter them. She then made the changes and told me what she did

1. She went in to change the Firewall options and to untick IP Flood Detection & Firewall Protection. I had already disabled the Flood Detection after reading about issues with pings etc, so she knocked off the firewall also

2. She then changed my wireless to channel 11, rather than auto as she said that sometimes the other channels can interfere with other devices etc and advised that I should always choose 1, 6 or 11 manually if resetting it.

3. Finally she changed my SSID and then said she had changed my protection back to WEP from WPA!!!! Needless to say, I *totally* disagreed with her on this point and she said that they were told in training to change any WPA back to WEP!!! Long story short, I absolutely would not let her change it. She argued that if somebody wanted to hack me, they would do it ANYWAY, but my point was, I'd at least like to make it *more* difficult so somebody doesnt jump on my signal and use it to download torrents etc and put me in a position where I have to argue with UPC as I've exceeded my limit!! So, she changed it back, but told me if I called in with issues again, they could not support me as I did not take their advice and use WEP!?!?!?!

Anyway, after all of that, here I am 24 hours later where I would normally have dropped about 6-10 times, and it hasn't dropped once, so I don't know if the firewall disabling or the wireless channel did it, but give it a shot and post back here

joe2010 wrote: »
    My connection was dropping every 5 to 10 min yesterday evening, I'm in Marino.

I am not exaggerating!!!!!

I have to release/renew ip to get it back.

Spoke to support and said I'm going to cancel - they are sending out an engineer start of next week.

He suggested setting my IP to static... it made no difference.

If they don't fix it (which I don't think they will) - I have to cancel.

** I would advise anyone thinking of getting UPC to think again. **

Jesus Christ!!! it just went now while writting this message !!!!!

I'm SWITCHING to Magnet.

Exact same issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Hi lads,

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and posted on this thread a few pages back. It hasn't given me trouble in the last while but I'm not sure whether the following is a coincidence or a solution (I'm not very sharp on tech matters).

Firstly, my original problem was that it was cutting out every 5 or 10 mins (like the person from Marino). After many frustrating conversations with NTL, an engineer came out and changed the modem -- which worked.

My second problem, with the new modem, was that the wireless was cutting out after starting large downloads. In ubuntu, I disabled ipv6 and tried OpenDNS and all this other stuff, but strangely enough it was moving the wireless channel to number 4 that seemed to do the job. The downloads still cut out after a while, but instead of turning my wireless router off and on, now all I have to do is click 'pause' and 'resume' in my download manager and it starts up again. In fact, sometimes it even starts up again of its own accord -- it bottoms out to 0kb/sec for a few minutes and then picks itself back up to regular speeds.

As I said, I'm not sure if it's a solution or a coincidence, but between disabling ipv6 and changing the channel to 4 something happened that made life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

colferma wrote: »
    Firstly, my original problem was that it was cutting out every 5 or 10 mins (like the person from Marino). After many frustrating conversations with NTL, an engineer came out and changed the modem -- which worked.

Thanks colferma, I hope changing the modem does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I'm in Dublin 11 and I've been having the exact same problem for the past 4 weeks. I had the engineer out last Saturday and he said that my power levels were too low and that he'd raise it back up. I've a Scientific Atlanta modem, but a friend of mine has a Cisco modem and is only a few streets away and he's saying the same problem. When the connection is up, the bandwidth is perfect, I got 29.87Mb on a speedtest there on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

I'm in Dublin 9 and my Scientific Atlantic modem keeps rebooting (as my phone also uses this modem it's really annoying). Happening for about a week now.

All lights on the front go off and then the modem reconnects again. This happens several times a day and usually during periods when I'm using alot of bandwidth.

I've logged a call with uPC. Hope they get this sorted soon.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I had this issue for ages also and it was getting really annoying and I eventually decided to call support yesterday

A girl there had me configure remote access so she could look at the settings and alter them. She then made the changes and told me what she did

2. She then changed my wireless to channel 11, rather than auto as she said that sometimes the other channels can interfere with other devices etc and advised that I should always choose 1, 6 or 11 manually if resetting it.

3. Finally she changed my SSID and then said she had changed my protection back to WEP from WPA!!!! Needless to say, I *totally* disagreed with her on this point and she said that they were told in training to change any WPA back to WEP!!! Long story short, I absolutely would not let her change it. She argued that if somebody wanted to hack me, they would do it ANYWAY, but my point was, I'd at least like to make it *more* difficult so somebody doesnt jump on my signal and use it to download torrents etc and put me in a position where I have to argue with UPC as I've exceeded my limit!! So, she changed it back, but told me if I called in with issues again, they could not support me as I did not take their advice and use WEP!?!?!?!

Anyway, after all of that, here I am 24 hours later where I would normally have dropped about 6-10 times, and it hasn't dropped once, so I don't know if the firewall disabling or the wireless channel did it, but give it a shot and post back here

Getting advice like that is worrying to say the least.
    Skittle wrote: »
    I had the engineer out last Saturday and he said that my power levels were too low and that he'd raise it back up.

More rubbish.

When can UPC realise that nearly everyone here has explained the problem arises when commencing a large download? In my case after I requested a speed increase from the 20meg to 30meg.

Just in case anyone is interested, here are my current power levels as reported by my modem:

Receive Power Level
    -2.2 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    36.4 dBmV

Boot Revision
    2.1.6lR7

Software File Name and Revisions
    Software Revision
    epc2203-E10-13-v202r1262-091209cs

The engineer said that my transmit power level was too close to the 35dBmV threshold and that it should be around 50dBmV.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

Just back from another loooong outage here (Kilmacud D South) after a week or so of hiccups. Strange thing, after pinging, turns out I was hitting google via OpenDNS. Thought the cisco 2425 wouldn't let you use OpenDNS? All previous attempts the cisco would throw a sulk & revert to NTL's 89.101 etc. Damned house phone was down also to cap things off.

I should add, when I was briefly on OpenDNS it flew along ;-)

Update on my previous post. Tonight the firmware for my Scientific Atlanta modem was updated! Those details I posted are the new firmware. It now says Cisco when you go to http://192.168.100.1/index.html. Also the page http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp page which gave you additional information including the log is now no longer accessible.

I haven't had a drop at all tonight. Not saying the two are connected...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

The firmware update fixes a problem with the dynamic channel change (DCC) function. When your modem changed channel(Load Balancing) it should of been happening seamlessly without the modem going offline but this wasn't the case.

Is this the fix we've all been waiting for? Problem is now I can't see the error log... So we won't know what the issue is in future.

Is it possible to update the firmware on the scientific atlanta modems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Is it possible to update the firmware on the scientific atlanta modems?
    Its should of been updated automatically by UPC

DingDong wrote: »
    Its should of been updated automatically by UPC

Over the air? I must check it later and see what its on now.
    Nearly every morning when I come down to my PC my the wireless router internet light is flashing meaning I need to restart it to re-acquire the internet connection. Happens during the day as well, basically all the green lights on the scientific atlanta modem start flashing together, it sort of looks like the modem is rebooting. It takes about a minute or 2 and then the connection comes back but I still have to restart my router to get the internet connection back. The very odd time the internet will go altogether for about an hour or two. Its strange because I've had UPC/NTL internet for about 5 years now and I've never had any problems up until about mid March of this year. I even replaced my wireless router thinking my old one was causing the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimmy_j

I get frequently disconnected from the Internet.
    While the signal icon shows connected, I always get a "Try Again" message in Firefox or a " "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"in IE.
    It happens very randomly but happens few times in an hour and every hour.
    I have 2 Laptops (One runs on Vista and the other on Windows 7). I have seen this problem on both the Laptops. I use Mozilla and IE, both report a problem with connection.
    Any help??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimmy_j

jimmy_j wrote: »
    I get frequently disconnected from the Internet.
    While the signal icon shows connected, I always get a "Try Again" message in Firefox or a " "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"in IE.
    It happens very randomly but happens few times in an hour and every hour.
    I have 2 Laptops (One runs on Vista and the other on Windows 7). I have seen this problem on both the Laptops. I use Mozilla and IE, both report a problem with connection.
    Any help??

Forgot to mention I have a Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb in Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

iv been having this same issue. Also with UPC.

As an experiment and on advice from other threads i unchecked ip flooding and the firewall options along with changing the wireless channel to 11.

Will repost to see did this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

Just noticed that my Firmware has been updated since Monday (I've the basic non-wireless cable modem).

I've had no discernible connection drop-outs since then. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

did anybody else's UPC go down for about 25 minutes today at around 12:30pm?

Advertisement