Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

sombaht wrote: »
    Fairly straightforward.

1. Open up a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
    2, Click on ok if prompted for login/password details.
    3. Scroll down to Wireless heading
    4. Click on Basic and select a new channel from the Channel drop down box.
    5. Click on apply to save new settings.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Precisely. But is the modem going off line when it drops? Check the status lights on the front. I had a Netgear router and it used to lock up. Something to do with issuing of IP leases within the router itself. Even a reset wouldn't bring it back on. You would have to go into the admin page and click apply. This sorted it. But it was irritating.

I have a Linksys now. No disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've been with UPC for over 8 months now in south Dublin, I use a D-Link router and have never had a problem with wireless or connection dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Ziycon wrote: »
    I've been with UPC for over 8 months now in south Dublin, I use a D-Link router and have never had a problem with wireless or connection dropping.

What D-link is it?

Did you have to tell UPC that you were changing the modem? I thought you had to use the crap cisco one that they supplied......

We're having intermittent connection and were thinking of trying a different modem.

Skittle wrote: »
    Update on my previous post. Tonight the firmware for my Scientific Atlanta modem was updated! Those details I posted are the new firmware. It now says Cisco when you go to http://192.168.100.1/index.html. Also the page http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp page which gave you additional information including the log is now no longer accessible.

I haven't had a drop at all tonight. Not saying the two are connected...

I have a local copy of _aslvl.asp which I retrieved from my browser cache after the firmware upgrade. It actually still works with the new firmware with a slight modification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

DingDong wrote: »
    The firmware update fixes a problem with the dynamic channel change (DCC) function. When your modem changed channel(Load Balancing) it should of been happening seamlessly without the modem going offline but this wasn't the case.

I'm not at home to check my connection, but the DCC issue as described is what caused many users' disconnects (including mine), especially those occurring just after starting a big download.

I am cautiously optimistic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

disco girl wrote: »
    What D-link is it?

Did you have to tell UPC that you were changing the modem? I thought you had to use the crap cisco one that they supplied......

We're having intermittent connection and were thinking of trying a different modem.
    DIR-635, they never gave us a router even though we went for there highest package and it says you get a free one so I used the DIR-635 I had here and haven't had any problems.:D

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-635-RangeBooster-650-Router/dp/B000FH2W22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

disco girl wrote: »
    What D-link is it?

You have to use the UPC modem.
    As with all cable operaters, UPC need to restrict usage to their own equipment, otherwise they wouldn't be able to control the speeds that customers were getting.

You can however use external routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pbnet

Karsini wrote: »
    I have a local copy of _aslvl.asp which I retrieved from my browser cache after the firmware upgrade. It actually still works with the new firmware with a slight modification.

Could you please share the way to access the logs from the modem?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

It is backing dropping again. Already have had six drops in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Well - it seems like the dropping of connections is still ongoing. When the FW upgrade was rolled out it stopped dropping for a bit (however speeds were erratic) but have since manifested themselves again. As before it happens when you start a larger - normally multithreaded - download.

Does this happen elsewhere (I'm in Galway) ?

Otherwise speeds are OK .....

I cannot check the modem logs anymore as the old access way does no longer work - can anyone post how to get to the logs again ?

Cheers,
    Stone

PS. Oh yeah - have had a LOT of discussions with their Support who claim nothing is wrong and it must be my equipment - go figure :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

Connection went last night for the first time in 2 weeks in Dublin 9. I've also got the new firmware.

Started a Large Usenet download and the modem crapped out. Been solid all today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Stone wrote: »
    Well - it seems like the dropping of connections is still ongoing. When the FW upgrade was rolled out it stopped dropping for a bit (however speeds were erratic) but have since manifested themselves again. As before it happens when you start a larger - normally multithreaded - download.

Does this happen elsewhere (I'm in Galway) ?

Otherwise speeds are OK .....

I cannot check the modem logs anymore as the old access way does no longer work - can anyone post how to get to the logs again ?

Cheers,
    Stone

PS. Oh yeah - have had a LOT of discussions with their Support who claim nothing is wrong and it must be my equipment - go figure :confused:

I've dozens (perhaps 100+) calls to their support desk and I get the same attitude each time.....It's 'always' a problem in my house.

So far, they've replaced the modem 3 times, installed new cabling, drilled a hole in the bedroom wall to the outside box so the cabling is shorter, and I still have random disconnections throughout the day. But again, during my last call, I was again ONLY given the option of an engineer coming out to check the equipment/cables inside the house.

He arrived (on the correct day for once), and I told him everything had been replaced. He checked nothing, and just said he'd get another engineer to check the connections outside in the local area. More time off work, for what ended up being a 45 second visit with no resolution or hope.

I have some comfort in knowing so many others have problems with UPC...it makes me less paranoid. But I wish they would just get their act together and provide a stable service. When the service works, it's brilliant, but that's not very often.

P.S. They blocked access to the log file screen as too many customers where calling up to report all the errors in the log files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Kilters wrote: »
    Connection went last night for the first time in 2 weeks in Dublin 9. I've also got the new firmware.

Started a Large Usenet download and the modem crapped out. Been solid all today though.

Reading your reply to my post - especially the Usenet part - it came to me that this is also when the connection drops for myself (i.e. downloading via Usenet).
    I also download lots of ISO distributions via Heanet as well as using DL accelerators via Firefox - and the connection does not drop here - so it struck me that perhaps this has to do with which protocol I was using.

For my News reader I use an SSL connection and port 563 (which uses the NNTPS protocol). My Usenet provider offers to use port 443 as well which uses the HTTPS protocol (which is standard stuff).

And behold - I changed to port 443 (HTTPS protocol) and presto, no disconnect :p
    I don't know if this is a coincidence or what - perhaps others could verify ?

The same should work for non-SSL communications - instead of port 119 (NTTP protocol) port 8080 (HTTP protocol) could be used .... that is if your Usenet providers allow for this.

Just a thought .... hope it turns out true :D

//Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

Stone wrote: »
    Reading your reply to my post - especially the Usenet part - it came to me that this is also when the connection drops for myself (i.e. downloading via Usenet).
    I also download lots of ISO distributions via Heanet as well as using DL accelerators via Firefox - and the connection does not drop here - so it struck me that perhaps this has to do with which protocol I was using.

For my News reader I use an SSL connection and port 563 (which uses the NNTPS protocol). My Usenet provider offers to use port 443 as well which uses the HTTPS protocol (which is standard stuff).

And behold - I changed to port 443 (HTTPS protocol) and presto, no disconnect :p
    I don't know if this is a coincidence or what - perhaps others could verify ?

The same should work for non-SSL communications - instead of port 119 (NTTP protocol) port 8080 (HTTP protocol) could be used .... that is if your Usenet providers allow for this.

Just a thought .... hope it turns out true :D

//Stone

Thanks Stone,

I'll try that if the connection starts dropping again. It's been fairly stable so far today although I'm only getting 2/3 of the speed I'm paying for (30meg)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hi guys,I am thinking of getting UPC broadband, I am based in Cork City...Am I mad to go ahead with this or is this just a select few individuals who seem to be affected...Also, did turning off the firewall on the router, and changing the channel to 11 fix the issue for anyone??Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

I could be wrong, but I think all these problems that people are having is because UPC are currently upgrading a lot of their lines so that they can launch their 100MB broadband this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CloseUp

For the last four days, my 20 Mbs connection has been cutting out at various times of the day. I'm on wireless and connecting into the modem seems to fix the problem. Trouble is both my computers go at the same time (they're independent of each other so its not malware) and both can log into the router. I'm wondering do I have a faulty router, a crap internet connection or is this just UPC messing with the line ? I'm in Dublin 8.

My connection has been droppin every day at least 5 times a day for the last 2 months since i upgraded from 20 to 30mb .. i have been on the phone to 2nd line support about 5 times and regular support 30 times and they still haven't solved the prob.. my connection was fine until the free upgrade, so am a little pissed , seen as they made us sign a new 12month contract. I am giving them yet another week to resolve the issue or I will be leaving with a bang:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nickyharris

I'm in Ballinteer and the broadband is dropping off every few moments for the past couple of weeks. When it is working it's going at a snails pace. I'm not a techy so will need serious idiot proof help with this. Perhaps it's time to sit on the phone for an hour and try to get a hold of the NTL people? I'm assuming from the posts above that I'm not the only one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Dropouts still happening me.

Still, all the time, a minute or 2 into a download...:mad:

- question though - while the pc loses its connection and won't connect to email or internet or anything, when I turn on a nearby internet radio it works :confused:

I only get the pc back with a reboot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Karsini wrote: »

What was the slight modifcations you had to make to access the log panel can you enlighten us thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

does anyone have a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

No solution yet from upc, lasted for 4-5 months now (Galway), worst bit is the phone also goes down for the few minutes the connection is down.

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    What was the slight modifcations you had to make to access the log panel can you enlighten us thanks

The postdata goes to goform/_aslvl. This just needs to be changed to http://192.168.100.1/goform/_aslvl to account for the fact you're running it locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm in tymon north and i just got the 15 MB line..... And it's dropping all the time... cangt even post a speed test cos the upload wont work !!!

I was on a 10MB line and it was fine.

If you ring UPC do you get a discount cos they are not supplying the service they said they would >? cant even play Playstation online :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My connection has dropped twice today already. The phone goes each time as well. I started this thread on the 13 February....there are marriages that don't last as long as UPC take to fix a problem.:rolleyes:

The area around the Roselawn Shopping centre in D15 is getting a major upgrade next tuesday.

I hope this finally solves the random connection drops in this area that have been ongoing for many months.

A UPC technician says it's due to high contention on the line, but I don't see how that would cause the connection to drop every single day between 9:30am and 10am like clockwork.
    Of course, another UPC technician says there is random times where there are 40-50% errors on the line and he didn't know the cause.
    And the other technician who says the power was too high.
    And the other one who says it's my modem even though it's been replaced 3 times.

They don't actually seem to know, but if they lay though all new fibre cables and upgrade the exchanges, they might accidentely fix the issue.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

my internet has been at 1mb for the past 3 days... I've rebooted the modem many times... so much for 15MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Hi all not sure if these problems are related but i was having problems too and the fix on this page seems to be doing the trick.. I was losing net access about a minute after i started large downloads..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've noticed that fix. Trouble is, my modem is a Scientific Atlanta. When the connection is up and running I have superb speeds in the main. Its just the unreliability that gets me. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that fix. Trouble is, my modem is a Scientific Atlanta. When the connection is up and running I have superb speeds in the main. Its just the unreliability that gets me. Thanks anyway.

Same...it's about as stable as a mental patient on acid.

Advertisement