Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've noticed that fix. Trouble is, my modem is a Scientific Atlanta. When the connection is up and running I have superb speeds in the main. Its just the unreliability that gets me. Thanks anyway.

+1

Scientific Atlanta here as well and my connection is dropping around once a day. Doesnt seem to be any pattern to it either like the way some people have been saying it only happens to them when they start a big download?
    Its been happening since March for me now and I still havent been bothered to ring UPC, I doubt they will do much besides replace the modem and charge me for the privilege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I rang them last Thursday and it turned out the problem was national. They fixed that pretty quickly. Given that this is happening on different models of modem and in different locations it must be a network issue.
    I'm also funemployed and online at home a lot therefore more likely to notice the connection dropping. I don't think this is affecting business consumers or we'd have heard about it in the media by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

my connection is not dropping it's just dropped all the time...

I upgraded from 5MB to 15MB 1st few days i was getting 15MB then all this week it's at this

843407165.png

I've a Scientific Atlanta router.... Anyone know what to do ?

NeVeR wrote: »
    my connection is not dropping it's just dropped all the time...

I upgraded from 5MB to 15MB 1st few days i was getting 15MB then all this week it's at this

843407165.png

I've a Scientific Atlanta router.... Anyone know what to do ?

I fixed my problem.. I had split my line to get TV in the bedroom.. When i disconnected it i got my net speed back

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I fixed my problem.. I had split my line to get TV in the bedroom.. When i disconnected it i got my net speed back

That shouldn't affect speeds. I have the TV and Internet split from the box in my room and all is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Devia wrote: »
    That shouldn't affect speeds. I have the TV and Internet split from the box in my room and all is fine.
    It can if not done correctly or if the signal is too weak for a split.

Devia wrote: »

well the min i removed the second room it came back to full speed and has not dropped since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

well the min i removed the second room it came back to full speed and has not dropped since.
    Most likely a bad splitter / connection as previously mentioned. I'm split 4 times before the modem. No issues. ( Until a total wipeout of services yesterday in parts oif D15 ) :rolleyes:

umm.. i'll have to look at it again.. i used a splitter that UPC left here.. I must have plugged in the wrong ins and outs etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

Are people still having this issue? I'm having the same symtoms since the weekend.(D22)

Modem connected straight to the PC and connection keeps dropping after a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

DJW7 wrote: »
    Are people still having this issue? I'm having the same symtoms since the weekend.(D22)

Modem connected straight to the PC and connection keeps dropping after a couple of minutes.

After 2 months of reliability my connection has started dropping again in Cork in the last week or so. Usually more so in the mornings (I work from home quite a bit and notice it). I rang a couple of times to enquire were there work/upgrades going on - the first time I got the usual "it's your wireless router" lark; second time I got through to someone who said they would check it out and call back - of course they never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I still have the issue intermittently, although it is much better since the software update on the modem. Strangely it appears to happen most now when watching HD videos on Youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yup...still intermittent connection drops here in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Touch wood, it seems to have stabilised here in Dublin 8. That said, I've upgraded my wireless card and upped the package from 20 to 30 Mb so that may have had an effect. However, no big usenet downloads have stalled in the last week or ten days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

My bb was offline for about 3 hours last night. The modem status just stayed on "Ranging Complete". Any clues as to what the problem was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have had the same problem in D14 since installation 3 months ago. Countless engineer visits and line tests both at first and second level support show the line dropping. They say it is fixed now but Im not confident. I knew signing up to a direct debit would work out well with UPC and it means they reduce the bill when you ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

My 30meg BB has been stable over the last month in Dublin 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the_law wrote: »
    Anyone whose UPC connection has started dropping regularly in the last 4 days (since around Wednesday for me), this is definitely a network issue.

I'm in Rathmines and started getting such faults when the new CMTS was installed on Wednesday to resolve the speeds issue.

I would very much appreciate anyone who has seen such problems start in the last few days to post here. In my experience the connection sometimes fails shortly after I commence a large download.

From looking at the Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS log (you can do this yourself, go to http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp and login with user admin and pass W2402 - then select access level 3 for ethernet, enter the password W2402 again (don't enter a username here) and submit... then return to main page and you can see all the tabs) I am getting a DCC error within seconds of my connection dropping.

DCC is a Dynamic Channel Change request, sent from the CMTS to your modem to request it to move to a different channel, as yours is getting too full. It makes for more efficient use of bandwidth and ideally only drops the connection for a few seconds. This is why I think I'm seeing it after starting large downloads - I'm filling up a channel and being transferred to a quieter one so as to not affect other customers. However, the process is not working smoothly.

For me, rebooting the (UPC supplied) SciA EPC2203 modem does not fix the issue. However, getting my router to renew its (public) IP does fix the problem every time. If you are directly connected to the modem by Ethernet (no routers or wireless malarky) an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew should fix it. If you don't know how to renew your router's public IP, turning it off and on again should do it too. Try this next time, being sure to leave your modem alone.

I've only been speculating the last few days, as I've considered that my equipment might be the fault. But if others are having the same problem (FloatingVoter, I'm in Rathmines and you're probably close) it is definitely a wider system issue.

Anyone who's had this the past few days (or increased frequency in the past four days) - please post the following:

-where you are (eg Ranelagh, Portobello, Crumlin if you can, not just D8)

-your modem/what UPC gave you - is it the Scientific Atlanta modem only, or the Cisco wireless router, or the Scientific Atlanta with a separate Netgear Wireless router

-your router that you supplied yourself, (if any)

-if you're on the Scientific Atlanta, please log into the modem as described above and see what's on the Log tab around the time of your disconnects

-what you were doing when it disconnected - did you just start a download?

-if you could fix the issue by leaving the SciA modem on and restarting your router.

For those feeling adventurous, try DOCSDIAG, run with the -vv option and see what your CMTS MAC address is. Put it in http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/ and see what the manufacturer's name is. Mine changed from Cisco to Casa when this problem started.

I'll be talking to a guy in UPC who knows his stuff and seems to actually care about providing a good service on Monday - if I can tell him straight off that there are multiple customers with an identical issue then he'll pass it to the right folks.

I have pretty much the exact issue with my scientific Atlanta modem. I have a Belkin wireles N router and at this stage it seems to be a minimum of once a day I have to reset the router to get my internet bck working. The internet connection light on the router goes from blue (working) to orange. By the time that changes and I ntoice I've no connection the lights are normal on the modem so I was assuming it was a router issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Back home after working abroad for a while and my scientific Atlanta modem droppes everytime i start jdownloader, have to unplug the power to it to get it going again, this has happened for the last 6 months now or so :(

Any updates or solutions in the last few months ?

Do you have TV with UPC, if so does it work? They once cut me off for a week after disconnecting the wrong house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

I had the exact same problem which was getting worse everytime i kicked a download off my connection would drop. It was the router changing channel, UPC hadnt a clue but eventually i got thougth to someone who knew his stuff.

They have released a FW update about a month ago to fix this but not all the routers will take it automaticly so you need to do a full reset to factory defaults on the Cable modem to force it to pull down the FW

Ever since that now its 1000% perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

UPC is run by the same people who made Twin Peaks. In other words, unfathomable. I live in D4 and my fixed line broadband started behaving erratically Weds 28th July. Technician came promptly on 29th, said it was an external fault not the modem, and it needed a second line put in to support me and other subscribers in the area. He this was being done that afternoon, or the next morning at latest. No sign of it being done next morning. Then I got a garbled voice message (made no attempt to ring me, the coward went straight to my voicemail) from NTL (thought they were called UPC now?) saying it would be fixed by Monday 9th August. Rang tech support and said I wasn't happy, they said there was nothing they could do but they would ring me Thursday (yesterday) with an update. Meanwhile Wednesday (day before yesterday) it started working fine again so I assumed they'd fixed it. Then got my update call yesterday as promised to say no progress, i.e. it hadn't been fixed, yet its working fine. Clearly I am now getting broadband from beyond the grave or another galaxy because according to UPC it isn't coming from them. As I said, incomprehensible to me the way these people operate.

shanemort, how did you do the factory reset ? I'ts not as easy as to press the reset button is it ?

Also I can't log in on the modem using the above user name and password :(

shanemort, how did you do the factory reset ? I'ts not as easy as to press the reset button is it ?

Also I can't log in on the modem using the above user name and password :(

Yep on the scientific atlanta modem press and hold in for a few seconds then just to be double sure i pulled the power out to give it a nice hard reboot.

It will boot and request a FW update from the network, Seemed to work for me and i was banging my head off the wall for a month or 2

An easy way to check the firmware on the Scientific Atlanta modems is to go to http://192.168.100.1/ - if there's a Cisco logo on that page then you're on the new firmware, if it's Scientific Atlanta then you're on the old one.

Karsini wrote: »
    An easy way to check the firmware on the Scientific Atlanta modems is to go to http://192.168.100.1/ - if there's a Cisco logo on that page then you're on the new firmware, if it's Scientific Atlanta then you're on the old one.

yep mine has the cisco logo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Constantly down last 2 days for me also in D14. Might try the factory reset and see if it helps.

Actually, what Firmware version does your say you have Shane? Mine is:

Firmware Name: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc

Dont think there would be much point in a factory reset if its the up to date version but ya never know i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Have this problem all this week (Raheny, D5). Connection cutting out. Even if I'm just watching tv I'll notice that the lights go out on the router beside my tv box.

Drops connection nearly once every hour.

My d/l speed is only 3.5mbs when it is supposed to be 10mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ck_303

Have this problem all this week (Raheny, D5). Connection cutting out. Even if I'm just watching tv I'll notice that the lights go out on the router beside my tv box.

Drops connection nearly once every hour.

My d/l speed is only 3.5mbs when it is supposed to be 10mbs.

Similar problems here in D3.

Getting seriously f**ked off with connection constantly dropping out.

What can be done??

• Advertisement

No joy with the reset, have the cisco logo so the new firmware is loaded.
    (Software Revision epc2203-E10-13-v202r1262-091209cs)

:mad:

Advertisement