Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

Same problem here in D12, it is driving me insane :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

same here in D15. bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

UPC just insisted on giving me my 4th new modem to 'fix' a connection issue. I don't know many times the same steps need to be completed before they finally admit the problem is not inside my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Just started having this problem in swords around 8pm and haven't re-established connection since (posting from my phone). Cisco ep2425 router with epc2425-e10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc software revision; tried a hard reset as advised above to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

same problem in d24 need to keep rebooting router ,
    i doubt its your cisco modem though as i got the old ambit modem as i am still on 20 mb package
    router is belkin changed wireless to ch 13 only one in area using that channell
    modem is ambit
    was thinking of upgrading to 30 mb and and getting wireless modem but if you guys having problems also guess there is no point:(

• Advertisement

Well I'm having the problem on my machines connected to the wired lan anyway

Just rang tech support there and they have an outage notification playing for my area with an estimated fix time of 3pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

For the last 10 years we've been hearing that the growth of the digital economy depends on the rollout of high-speed broadband, but the real problem is the failure of providers including UPC to deliver RELIABLE broadband at ANY speed. My broadband has gone down at least 3 times this year, thats three times more often than my electricity and three times more often than my water supply. Broadband has become almost as indispensable as these utilities yet it is nowhere near as reliable. I'm sure if I rang the ESB and said my electricity was gone off they wouldn't suggest I turn the lights off, wait 30 seconds and then turn them on again. If the water went off, I doubt if the water company would tell me to get a different cup and try the tap again. Broadband and UPC is like sorcery from the middle ages. Broadband is not witchcraft, its a service so please UPC take the mystery out of it and do your job!!!

I'm back up!

In fairness this is the first outage I've experienced since I joined UPC last year, but I was out for circa 17 hours and I've never had that with any other ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've never had problems but the connections has started to drop randomly a few times a day in the past week or two. I'm in the D6W area. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Yedya^

Got off the phone with UPC about 2 weeks ago,the slow speeds where due to maintence in upgrading lines to 30mb and over.

Shred wrote: »
    I'm back up!

In fairness this is the first outage I've experienced since I joined UPC last year, but I was out for circa 17 hours and I've never had that with any other ISP.
    Lucky,i should be back up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

It's free to upgrade from 10mb to 15mb(or the equivalent new package speed) right? Do you need to do anything? does a teh guy come out?

also, stupid question: how do you upgrade the router's firmware? Do i need to connect the router to my pc and upgrade that way? or through the router console online?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's free to upgrade from 10mb to 15mb(or the equivalent new package speed) right? Do you need to do anything? does a teh guy come out?

also, stupid question: how do you upgrade the router's firmware? Do i need to connect the router to my pc and upgrade that way? or through the router console online?:o

It is supposed to happen automatically but that does not appear to happen all the time. If you make contact and request the upgrade then you re-start a 12 month contract with them.

You have no control of UPC firmware on the router. It happens when it happens and is totally in their control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Since Thursday, it has been even more of a nightmare than usual! I play poker online but havent in weeks now cos i dont trust the connection. I dont wanna have €200 in a pot only to have my connection break as UPC arent gonna refund it!! Its getting absolutely stupid at this stage! Every single day i lose connection for at least an hour or so overall. Last time i rang them, it was a broken wire in the area which was fixed the next day. Me arse it was. I talked my folks into joining UPC as it has better speeds and of course Digital TV but if this doesnt change in the next day or so, ill be apologising to them and telling them to tear up the contract and tell UPC to go BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Broadband here really annoys me. Either you pay for a service that delivers the speed they promise but are constantly down, or pay for a service that give you 20% of the speed they promise and are down less. "Cowboys Ted, Theyre a bunch of cowboys!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Starmon

I would just like to chime in my problems with the hoards of apparent other users. I really wish I had read this before I switched to UPC. I got my new broadband installed yesterday (I'm in Limerick) and have had nothing but constant problems with it.

My boyfriends desktop works without a hitch but the wireless connecting my laptop is seriously getting on my nerves. It always says it is connected to the Internet (Local and Internet access with the little globe icon) but it rarely lets me browse. It cuts off for long periods of time, with only about an hour or so of actual decent usage inbetween. Sometimes, weirdly, I get partial Internet access. Such as, Google will work, but Twitter won't. Or Wikipedia will work, but Google won't.

Nothing fixes it, resetting the modem, restarting my laptop, tweaking with IPs and whatnot, nothing helps. It just works when it feels like it.

Starmon wrote: »
    I would just like to chime in my problems with the hoards of apparent other users. I really wish I had read this before I switched to UPC. I got my new broadband installed yesterday (I'm in Limerick) and have had nothing but constant problems with it.

My boyfriends desktop works without a hitch but the wireless connecting my laptop is seriously getting on my nerves. It always says it is connected to the Internet (Local and Internet access with the little globe icon) but it rarely lets me browse. It cuts off for long periods of time, with only about an hour or so of actual decent usage inbetween. Sometimes, weirdly, I get partial Internet access. Such as, Google will work, but Twitter won't. Or Wikipedia will work, but Google won't.

Nothing fixes it, resetting the modem, restarting my laptop, tweaking with IPs and whatnot, nothing helps. It just works when it feels like it.
    That could be caused if your using the wireless router UPC supplied as its known to have problems, connect your laptop via an ethernet cable and see if that fixes it, if so then buy a proper wireless router. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Starmon wrote: »

If your boyfriends desktop is connecting wirelessly, it may be a problem with your laptop, i.e firewall settings or your wireless card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Alwayson wrote: »
    UPC is run by the same people who made Twin Peaks. In other words, unfathomable. I live in D4 and my fixed line broadband started behaving erratically Weds 28th July. Technician came promptly on 29th, said it was an external fault not the modem, and it needed a second line put in to support me and other subscribers in the area. He this was being done that afternoon, or the next morning at latest. No sign of it being done next morning. Then I got a garbled voice message (made no attempt to ring me, the coward went straight to my voicemail) from NTL (thought they were called UPC now?) saying it would be fixed by Monday 9th August. Rang tech support and said I wasn't happy, they said there was nothing they could do but they would ring me Thursday (yesterday) with an update. Meanwhile Wednesday (day before yesterday) it started working fine again so I assumed they'd fixed it. Then got my update call yesterday as promised to say no progress, i.e. it hadn't been fixed, yet its working fine. Clearly I am now getting broadband from beyond the grave or another galaxy because according to UPC it isn't coming from them. As I said, incomprehensible to me the way these people operate.
    Are you using a wireless router?

Thanks but no, a cable comes through the wall into my modem and another cable comes from the modem to my laptop. Totally hardwired. This is a UPC problem external to my apartment. They have already been here and confirmed that. Its not just UPC that can't provide a decent service. My father is in Cork, has wireless broadband from O2 and that doesn't work properly either. The points I would like to make are:

a) broadband provision in this country is not an issue of speed its an issue of incompetence by the providers. I do not require massive speeds, I require reliability.
    b) if you use the standard service as I do - don't hack/modify/etc - it is the responsibility of the provider to provide the proper service
    b) its not up to the people on this forum to try and sort out each others problems - the provider is only getting off the hook by doing this

This has been going on for years in this country - when I was young, if the bus didn't come you didn't ring the bus company, (no mobiles or apps) you talked to the other people waiting at the bus stop and sorted out the problem yourselves i.e. got a taxi/walked/hitched. As a result the bus service didn't get any better. Broadband seems to operate on the same principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Yedya^

Im having problems still even tho they said it would stop @ week 32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

D15 - lots of dropping connections past week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Dropping connection several times a day every day since I got the damn thing. What a joke. 2-3 months and counting. I ring them constantly. No use.

Two weeks ago since I reported my UPC broadband not working properly.
    Guy came next day and checked my modem, said it was an external problem and it would be fixed next day.
    Another guy rang and said it would be fixed by yesterday.
    Rang today to be told it had been fixed yesterday.
    Another guy rings me today and says "I believe you have a problem with your broadband"
    He knew nothing about any of the events that had happened during the previous 2 weeks.
    They literally don't know their arse from their elbow. The service guys who roam around in vans seem to live in a completely different world to the tech support people you report your fault to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'm having that really annoying problem again where websites are loading perfectly fine and fast but any download of any file stops immediately after starting...

This happened a few months back and has been happening again for about 2 days.

Anyone else getting this, Galway

Its also affect some streaming video sites but not others.

Its almost like its being throttled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Solyad wrote: »

Anyone else getting this, Galway

Ya, for the last 4-5 months (Roscam)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Jez, thats pretty bad.

Left off the router for 2 mins there and now its back to normal... could be my old linksys, could be ntl.. who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Still having this problem in Raheny, Dublin 5. Ugh, cant stream anything reliably, play online etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Rutine; start jdownloader, connection drops after a short time (my phone dies too, soo need to make sure missus is not on it before i plan to start a download)....unplugg power modem..reconnect power..connection reastablish... download and connection will not drop again before i restart jdownloader later the same day or any day :(

Given up calling upc,ntl, chorus or what they call themself now. No time to hang around for a technician that will arrive sometime between 08 and 17 either.

On the 3rd modem though, still the same since feb-march.

I'm getting drops roughly every 2 hours-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

i know this is about UPC and drops, However I am with EIRCOM and suffering the same thing in Carrigaline. Today is the worst - dropping constantly and back up. Huge packet loss. ( No its not my router or line )

Is UPC piggy backing on Eircom exchanges I wonder?

Apparently Eircom are upgrading their exchanges for this Next Gen B/Band - some say this may be affecting all users.

Cheers
    Aidan

Advertisement