Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection dropping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

aidanodr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

i know this is about UPC and drops, However I am with EIRCOM and suffering the same thing in Carrigaline. Today is the worst - dropping constantly and back up. Huge packet loss. ( No its not my router or line )

Is UPC piggy backing on Eircom exchanges I wonder?

Apparently Eircom are upgrading their exchanges for this Next Gen B/Band - some say this may be affecting all users.

Cheers
    Aidan

UPC is a cable network, has nothing to do with Eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Guys,

i know this is about UPC and drops, However I am with EIRCOM and suffering the same thing in Carrigaline. Today is the worst - dropping constantly and back up. Huge packet loss. ( No its not my router or line )

Is UPC piggy backing on Eircom exchanges I wonder?

Apparently Eircom are upgrading their exchanges for this Next Gen B/Band - some say this may be affecting all users.

Cheers
    Aidan

As stated above UPC and Eircom have no connection. You should check your line stats and particularly the SNR figure - if it is below 10 then that could be the cause. If you are using a wirless network then you should try and connect directly to the router to rule out wireless interfernece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

In my initial post I said: " No its not my router or line ". I know this, because I am in this business installing the net and the like. Alot of clients and others are having similar issues here in Carrigaline, Ringaskiddy and Ballincollig ( Co. Cork ).

Today is the worst for these dropouts so far. Just had a call from a client who has given up on net today and temporarily using Mobile Broadband for their business.

I asked about UPC ( I havent had much interface with UPC ) - maybe I should have been clearer. I know UPC has its own cable to the houses BUT somewhere back along are they connected via Eircom Exchanges. If so this maybe the source of the issue of UPC dropouts. I have people who have Vodafone and BT who are also experiencing these dropouts recently, just look at other threads here actually!

Cheers
    Aidan

Hi Guys,

In my initial post I said: " No its not my router or line ". I know this, because I am in this business installing the net and the like AND alot of my customers are having similar issues here in Carrigaline, Ringaskiddy and Ballincollig ( Co. Cork ).

Today is the worst for these dropouts so far. Just had a call from a customer who has given up on net today and temporarily using Mobile Broadband for their business.

I asked about UPC ( I havent had much interface with UPC ) - maybe I should have been clearer. I know UPC has its own cable to the houses BUT somewhere back along are they connected via Eircom Exchanges. If so this maybe the source of the issue of UPC dropouts. I have people who have Vodafone and BT who are also experiencing these dropouts recently, just look at other threads here actually!

Cheers
    Aidan

UPC's network is Fibre and Docsis network and is totally separate from Eircom's network, they are not only different networks they are different types of networks.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    UPC's network is Fibre and Docsis network and is totally separate from Eircom's network, they are not only different networks they are different types of networks.

Hey IrishTony,

Thanks for that education, appreciate it.

Was just wondering did everything eventually resolve to an Eircom BAS (Broadband Access Server) like Churchfield in Cork, which services the whole of Cork? Who are UPC using?

Docsis network is a telecommunications standard as opposed to an actual service?

Aidan

• Advertisement

Hey IrishTony,

Thanks for that education, appreciate it.

Was just wondering did everything eventually resolve to an Eircom BAS (Broadband Access Server) like Churchfield in Cork, which services the whole of Cork? Who are UPC using?

Docsis network is a telecommunications standard as opposed to an actual service?

Aidan

UPC own their own network in the major cities.
    DOCSIS stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification as in the standard used for Cable services

Are they using their own BAS / routing systems? Just curious, not questioning you or anyone else ..

Aidan

Are they using their own BAS / routing systems? Just curious, not questioning you or anyone else ..

Aidan

UPC's networks in the major cities are self contained, it's all theirs and nothing is shared. They do use the new national fibre network in some smaller areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

... I know UPC has its own cable to the houses BUT somewhere back along are they connected via Eircom Exchanges. If so this maybe the source of the issue of UPC dropouts. I have people who have Vodafone and BT who are also experiencing these dropouts recently, just look at other threads here actually!

Cheers
    Aidan

There's absolutely no connection WHATSOEVER between UPC's networks and eircom. UPC have their own fibre optic backbone network, their own local fibre distribution network and its own coaxial network for last mile connections to houses and as other posters have pointed out use a completely different technology to eircom.

UPC's network has its own international connections via fibre and ties into major hubs all over the world. It doesn't use eircom's networks for anything and certainly has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with eircom's local exchanges or DSL infrastructure.

In some areas, UPC may use fibre capacity it purchases on MAN networks, which really makes no difference.

UPC's phone service is provided using a VoIP type technology carried over their networks. Again, it has nothing to do with eircom's networks, exchanges or anything else.

800px-HFC_Network_Diagram.svg.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

The number of homes served by each optical node would be getting smaller and smaller as they roll out more fibre to the kerb i.e. an optical node might just serve 1 street or 1 housing estate.

There is a separate serious on-going issue with severe congestion on eircom's DSL network in parts of suburban Cork at the moment which I suspect is due to lack of sufficient backhaul capacity on eircom's network. This should be addressed by the NGN "next generation broadband" upgrade. A lot of users are complaining of low speeds / no connectivity during peak hours i.e. after 5pm and at weekends.

If you're having problems on UPC broadband it is more likely due to interference or a weak signal. Have you any TVs or other devices connected to your cable line e.g. for watching RTE television or any extra cable sockets that you installed yourself?

If so, disconnect these and see if your line is more stable.

Otherwise, report the fault to UPC and ask them to send an engineer around to check the signal strength and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Yedya^

This is Bull****,i was told id be back up and running on week 32 on my old 20Mb connection yet im still stuck down here @ 2mb.Im still being charged for 20mb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Rutine; start jdownloader, connection drops after a short time (my phone dies too, soo need to make sure missus is not on it before i plan to start a download)....unplugg power modem..reconnect power..connection reastablish... download and connection will not drop again before i restart jdownloader later the same day or any day :(

Given up calling upc,ntl, chorus or what they call themself now. No time to hang around for a technician that will arrive sometime between 08 and 17 either.

On the 3rd modem though, still the same since feb-march.

Do a factory reset on your modem it will kick off the latest FW- Whats happening is the UPC modem is switching channels as you kick off a Download and its causeing it to lose connection. the New FW will fix this.....

Trust me since i did it a few weeks ago i've no issues.

Super line!!! 30mb in dundrum and no issues since that one

21981574.png

911206075.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Did the reset and nothing changed :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was getting LAN cable drops when a wireless device was connecting. Bought a linksys router to sort out the traffic instead. Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Ballinteer seems to be haunted by this constant disconnect issue. I know of 3 homes specifically having this issue. Whats worse is if it happens while playing online you have to reboot the whole console to get it to work because for some reason my PS3 Xbox and iPhone forget the wep everytime it happens. Its at the point where I have to have my code in my iPhone notes so I can paste it in ever time it happens. (twice and hour if I'm lucky) only with them about a month and this started happening last week.

Does the security code change if you reset to factory settings? Do I have to do anything else beside hit factory rest and let it do its thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Anyone having slowdown in Galway. Used to have the full 15Mbit (14.69 or so) for months. Last 2 days its down to 7Mbit on the 15mbit line. Also ping to Dublin used to be around 30ms or lower now its over 100ms.

Anyone having similar issues last 2 days or so?

shanemort wrote: »
    Do a factory reset on your modem it will kick off the latest FW- Whats happening is the UPC modem is switching channels as you kick off a Download and its causeing it to lose connection. the New FW will fix this.....

Trust me since i did it a few weeks ago i've no issues.

Super line!!! 30mb in dundrum and no issues since that one

21981574.png

911206075.png
    Does it download automaticly?

rh5555 wrote: »
    Anyone having slowdown in Galway. Used to have the full 15Mbit (14.69 or so) for months. Last 2 days its down to 7Mbit on the 15mbit line. Also ping to Dublin used to be around 30ms or lower now its over 100ms.

Anyone having similar issues last 2 days or so?
    Ive been having the same problem for a month now,appearently it should be fixed by week 34 which is in 2 weeks :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Dropping again every so often. Very unhelpful and slightly rude CS agent (didn't even want to hear what I had to say) basically told me I was crap out of luck as the connection came back up during my call. Didn't care what the logs said, or that it's been happening since I got it.

Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Connection was dropping intermittently over last two weeks, gone completely yesterday, and when it came back today our download speed had gone from 10->15 MB. So I'm putting the issues down to network build-out for high speeds. Pity UPC didn't let people know when they'd be affected though.
    I'm in Dublin 6W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got a text message from UPC yesterday telling me I've been upgraded from 10 to 15mb and to restart my modem. Did that and checked the speed. On 15mb now and haven't had any dropped connection yet so fingers crossed! I'm in Dublin 16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bertranddory

I have a similar issue. UPC is not helping here. I am in Belmayne, and they are selling this as the best solution for broadband. I am doing a speed check (I got a 15 MB connection), and it is between 3MB and 10 MB :-((( 10 MB being the faster. I have also nearly 30 ms (the least is 27ms) ping speed.
    I am really not happy with this, as there are times where the connection drops or really sloooooooooooooooooows down to a stop. Skype calls are a nightmare, as they keep on dropping. I know it is on my side, as people are saying this never happens to them.
    the only solution they offer is a technician to come (between 9:30 and 1:30) which is very inconvenient, and they come when? when nobody is using the Internet, as people are working! I had Magnet before (and their TV service is crap, this is why I switched, and not to talk about the phone), but now I am regretting my decision, as with a 5MB line, I had faster, better and more stable connection. I am recommending people not to switch, if they rely on Telephone and Broadband. Even the phone is bad, as I often have this very unsexy voice saying "Sorry, but we could not connect your call". Anyway, I am really angry with them, as they offer no solution, lie to people, and treat them as there are nobody (and not to talk about the system before you talk to somebody, with their misleading ads).

Please help if you are from my area to either put pressure on UPC to improve and deliver to what they sell or to get them to compensate us. I am running a Home Business, and 15 MB should be great, if when you are talking to clients for 30 minutes on skype, you did not have to redial 8 times (just happened to me now!)

Please note everything they are saying to you too, as they log what they want in their system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bertranddory

No I have done this, I will try this later. I have a Mac with a firewall, so it should be OK. Thanks for the tip.
    Still, i have been checking my connection, and it is max to 10MB, and lower sometimes, meaning that they are charging me for a service they are not offering.
    Thanks again, I will try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1y2ttk.png

Absolute muck tonight, that's a 10 minute graph above, the red is packet loss.
    Haven't hat problems with UPC for a while till tonight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I am at my end with UPC I think.
    I got it installed on 10/07, and the line is perfect during the day
    but during the evenings, the connectioned just goes offline & terrible packet loss
    Like my speedtest would show me getting full 15meg down, but my upload would be like 0.01mb which is causing me terrible problems.
    had 2 engineer visits, first lad said whoever set it up had the cables the wrong way around(I knew this wasn't the problem) tested and said it was grand.
    the 2nd visit the lad came out & tested the speeds and said he couldn't see any problems, why would there be any problerms its 10am on a sat morning.
    the tech guys were helpful, I rang them a few times and they said there is deffo a problem on the line, they could not ping/ get any response from the modem, even though it was online. they also said my power level was extreemly low, this is causing the problems, like its the upload speed that is causing all the problems for me, its out of sync, but the guys on the road just come out an say they can't find any problems. the problem needs to be active when they call out.. so are they going to plan to do evening calls?! I'm peed off now, like this since 6:30, browsing is painful
    22410954.png

*edit been trying to do a speedtest on upc.ie/nl & speedtest.net and I just get an error when it tries to do the upload speedtest

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Can anyone confirm that this connection is setup right too please..
    2sac8z6.jpg

**edit no suprise now, connection is perfect.. only 5 hours late, everyone must of went to bed, and this is the problem why my connection is so weak is because more people are going online & my connection isn't strong enough..
    22413266.png

919709067.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    1y2ttk.png

Absolute muck tonight, that's a 10 minute graph above, the red is packet loss.
    Haven't hat problems with UPC for a while till tonight.
    is that multiping?

its a great tool. :)

anyway, assuming it is, what are you pinging to?

i assume you're on a wired connection and that your modem is actually getting disconnected from the net, not just your pc getting disconnected from your modem?

assuming it's the former, you might want to add a few hosts to multiping to see where it's falling over.

you'll want to add a ping for another device on your LAN firstly, assuming you have something else internally that you can ping.
    then your own external IP address which you can get either from your router or by going here: http://www.whatsmyip.org/
    your gateway address (your IP address minus the last no., but with 1 on the end so x.x.x.1)
    then something active on the UPC network like their DNS servers, so 89.101.160.4 and 89.101.160.5
    and lastly, a couple of external addresses like www.rte.ie and www.google.com or similar.

what we're doing is looking for the point that your connection is dropping. whether it's the modem disconnecting you from your LAN, or disconnecting itself from the net or somewhere in between.

once you know the source of the problem we can work on the solution.

if its something on your side the chances are pretty good that someone here can get you working properly and if you can prove its something on the UPC side, chances are that they can and once you can show them that it's definitely something happening outside of your house, they are usually pretty good at sorting things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Are people still experiencing this?

UPC techy came out y/day and said my constant disconnecting was due to the recent firmware update. The encryption for the cisco router was reverting back to the factory setting or sumit which was causing the disconnects.

He 'fixed' it and set up a new password for my ssid but after a few hours it started disconnecting again. Started once I began playing my ps3 interestingly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Having had no trouble at with their 10MB package for a year I was recently moved onto the 15MB as a free upgrade. The last few days Xbox live has been laggy, to the point of unplayability. My D/L, U/L and ping stats are fine when tested from the laptop, but on Xbox live my connection rates as 1 or 2 bars out of 4.

I'm not noticing anything untoward when browsing or downloading...so it seems to be an issue with the Xbox specifically...any ideas? I'm using a Wireless Router..it isn;t really convenient to hook it up direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bmcdunphy

To anyone experiencing wireless drops between the modem and laptop/PC, i.e. signal on the modem is fine, I had this problem for a week. Changed wifi channels numerous time, made no difference. Eventually tech support told me change encryption in the modem settings. Can post precise details if anyone is interested, but it did the trick for whatever reason. Wireless is solid as a rock now and getting a constant 15MBs which is what I’m paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

please post, my cisco reverted back to factory settings on its own last week and wireless has been poor since....thanks

Advertisement