Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Wireless-N Gigabit Router with External Hard Disk & Printer Sharing ...

Options
  • 13-02-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a Wireless-N Gigabit Router with External Hard Disk & Printer Sharing capability. Searched Netgear website, and couldnt find any thing that matches my criteria. Netgear WNDR3700 has USB storage sharing capability but does not act as print server.

Any Suggestions?

If I use a "USB to Ethernet adapter" and connect the USB printer to the router would it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks.Seems to be a good one from the specs. Hav to read some reviews abt it before making a decision...

How to share a printer on it? Would computer on the network detect a USB printer if I connect it using the "USB to Ethernet adapter"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I bought the 610 several months ago as I previously always had linksys routers but my god this router was absolutley hopeless, got rid of it within 2 weeks.

It used to crash a minimum of three times a day.
    The transfer rate between a PC and the USB disk over a lan cable was diabolical.
    Overheating was another huge problem with it and aparently I wasn't the only one with these messed up issues tons of people had the same problems.

Now I ditched the whole idea of attaching a disk to a router as they all have the same issues performance problems, and I went with a old crap pc loaded it full of 500GB disks, installed a 10/100/1000 Nic in it and installed freenas on it.

Print server just bought the el cheapo " Linksys USB Print Server " from komplet does the job and works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ITguru wrote: »
    How to share a printer on it? Would computer on the network detect a USB printer if I connect it using the "USB to Ethernet adapter"?
    Short answer is no.

Solution is a gigabit storage router, and a printer with inbuilt network print server.

As a matter of interest what does IT stand for in ITguru?

Advertisement