Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on dry-lining insulation

• 13-02-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm currently in the process of constructing a new build house. I'm looking for advice on dry-lining the house. I have left a 120 mls gap in the cavity walls and am filling it with 80mls rigid high density insulation. I was thinking of dry-lining the inside of the exterior walls with 38mls (25 of insulation and 12 of plaster board). Should I go for 50mls of dry-lining insulation (38mls insulation and 12 plasterbosrd)? Would I gain anything from it? Would the cost justify me doing it? I would appreciate any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

My engineer has recommended this route to me, I dont have the U values to hand for comparison, but the dry lining should offer a bit more insulation. I got the impression that in my case I needed it to hit the A3 rating.

It however adds a new mind boggling dimension to your insulation, thermal mass. Basically, blockwork will absorb some heat and re emit it, hopefully with your cavity insulation stopping it from being emitted outside (Think of the sun shining in the windows during the day and the warm blocks releasing heat during the evenings). If you dry line you`ll be adding a thermally resistive layer to your wall, so they will absorb and release less heat.

I`m not too sure if its even worth getting your knickers in a twist about it in Ireland, but I think it basically boils down if you want a room to heat up quickly & to hold warm air(Dry lining) or to retain heat, its probably advantageous with underfloor heating, and possibly during the summer where the thermal mass would help regulate temperatures.

You`ll find plenty of arguments for and against it, but thats the joy of self building !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Generally speaking its better to have all the insulation in one layer, but as there is a small heat loss through wall ties and gaps in the main layer, then the 38mm would be of some use. Before going to 50mm think about diminishing returns and also loss of floor area, imo not worth it.

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Read the forum charter before you return

Advertisement