Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber seal gasket for outside Pipe conection

• 13-02-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Can anybody direct me to a shop or site where you can buy all sort of shape/size/ rubber seal gaskets used to seal pipe connections. I have a bad leak at outside pipe along the wall, I hope picture is clear.

I did try shops like Woodies, B&Q and a smaller local store and aparently it is a older model and they did not have it.

Thanks to anybody trying to help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

any plumbers providers. You need to know the diameter of the pipe thats going into it. it looks like 1.1/2". You also need to shove the gasket into that hole its in. It should not be out that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi

You could try repairing it with silicone, try the all weather type, but joey is right, the rubber seal is sticking out too far.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the smaller waste pipe coming in from the side long enough?

It looks like it might be too short, that's why the seal isn't pushed home in the correct place, its trying to act as a make shift coupler. I would guess the pipe is only shoved in about 1" into the seal, up to where the crack in it is.

If the pipe isn't long enough, it only needs to be lengthened by about an inch or so, you could cut it and cement in an inline coupler that will give it the extra length that it needs. There's no real pressure on the seal, so would be unlikely to leak assuming the pipe is cut correctly.

As others have said if only the seal is the problem, cover it in silicone and pushing it home properly should do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Is the smaller waste pipe coming in from the side long enough?

It looks like it might be too short, that's why the seal isn't pushed home in the correct place, its trying to act as a make shift coupler. I would guess the pipe is only shoved in about 1" into the seal, up to where the crack in it is.

If the pipe isn't long enough, it only needs to be lengthened by about an inch or so, you could cut it and cement in an inline coupler that will give it the extra length that it needs. There's no real pressure on the seal, so would be unlikely to leak assuming the pipe is cut correctly.

As others have said if only the seal is the problem, cover it in silicone and pushing it home properly should do the job.

If its coming from a

Basin 1.1/4"
    Bath/Shower 1.1/2"

As most basins are put next to the toilet(Generally) and the toilet is off to the right of the picture this is most likely a shower/bath which is 1.1/2" ;)

But joking aside yes its a possability that the pipe is to short but more likely it moved poped out and joe public never noticed. All would be noticed when the bung is changed and as you say if its so short a coupler will do fine with a new bung.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aka7

Thanks guys for your replies.

You are all right, the pipe does not reach as fas as it should but replacing the seal seem to me the best option if i can find them. Both rubber seals need to be changed as they broke in 2. Thanks to Joey the lips, I now know they are 2 different sizes as they seemd the same to me.

Tried a couple of Plumbing providers (Euro and another one) around Walkinstown and they do not have this model (WAVIN) or one that could suit. Was advised to try a place called Dublin Providers in Kilmainham. Will try again next Saturday, only day when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

There is compression type sockets that might fit the wavin pipe.
    You could then cut the pipe and add a longer piece to make the difference.
    This type of fitting doesn't look the best exposed ,but it's a multi-fit connection ,so makes it easy to join pipe sizes.

R0206071-01.jpg

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0205961

Advertisement