Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campus internet and my laptop!

• 13-02-2010 5:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whenever im using my laptop on campus the internet is ridiculously slow. Its never a problem when im using my laptop anywhere else, and its never a problem for my friends when they use theirs on campus! Anyone got any ideas what settings i might need to change to solve this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Bring it into the IT fellas in Daedalus and they'll probably be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Whenever im using my laptop on campus the internet is ridiculously slow. Its never a problem when im using my laptop anywhere else, and its never a problem for my friends when they use theirs on campus! Anyone got any ideas what settings i might need to change to solve this?

Thanks
    where on campus are you using it? I knwo in the arts block,around lunch time its either really slow or can't connect at all for me[damn arts students and their use of my internet]

whereas in science it's almost always working away fine

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Yes in the Arts Building it doesn't always work for me either.

Also does the network block streaming from websites or something because I have had my laptop plus 3 different PCs not load the same stream despite it working on my laptop at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Kournikova wrote: »
    Yes in the Arts Building it doesn't always work for me either.

Also does the network block streaming from websites or something because I have had my laptop plus 3 different PCs not load the same stream despite it working on my laptop at the weekend.

Certain websites (mostly anything to do with illegal file sharing) are blocked on the UCD network.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Well its just the official Olympic website, I was trying to watch the live streams, which doesn't work on my laptop, the on campus PCs I tried or my friends laptop. Although it worked fine on my laptop on Sunday when I was home for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

basically anything outside of http,html and java based ports are closed in the ucd proxy,there are exceptions but the rule of thumbe being youtube is about the limit of streaming in UCD

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There are no sites blocked in UCD as far as I'm aware. However, sites that use a Java downloader applet will not necessarily work.

Advertisement