Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooliganism issues in LOI {Mod Note #1}

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CiaranC wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    What is this face supposed to imply? That you don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any chance of splitting off the Luasgate stuff into a separate thread so we can talk about Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours and all that?

Cheers.

stovelid wrote: »
    Any chance of splitting off the Luasgate stuff into a separate thread so we can talk about Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours and all that?

Cheers.
    But its to do with Shamrock Rovers and their terrible hooligan problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Cracking finish from bradser pity he doesn't contribute more often. On the Luas crap, its all done and dusted hopefully the flith involved all get life bans from both sets of club. One thing we all agree on is none of us want to see this crap, so lets talk about the footie.

On the Luas crap, its all done and dusted hopefully the flith involved all get life bans from both sets of club.
    Sorry what? What do you want Shels fans banned for? This isn't a Shels problem, its not even a LOI 1, this is a Rovers problem and their lovely rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CSF wrote: »
    Sorry what? What do you want Shels fans banned for? This isn't a Shels problem, its not even a LOI 1, this is a Rovers problem and their lovely rivals.
    Your questions have been addressed, stop trolling the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Well im sure the Gardai, Rovers and Shels will identify the culperts and give them life bans and a court apperance. I wasn't there and can't comment on who did what no more than you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

But its to do with Shamrock Rovers and their terrible hooligan problem.

Now you're just being ridiculous. How many were involved with the Luas incident? 5? 10? out of a crowd of 2500 or in percentage terms 0.4% of the total crowd. Terrible hooligan problem :rolleyes:

Now can you please take off your anti hoop glasses and look at things rationally instead of sounding like a tabloid journalist about to write a hatchet job. Rovers do not have a terrible hooligan problem just because a handful of scumbags buy themselves tickets to a match and cause a fight on the luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Now you're just being ridiculous. How many were involved with the Luas incident? 5? 10? out of a crowd of 2500 or in percentage terms 0.4% of the total crowd. Terrible hooligan problem :rolleyes:

Now can you please take off your anti hoop glasses and look at things rationally instead of sounding like a tabloid journalist about to write a hatchet job. Rovers do not have a terrible hooligan problem just because a handful of scumbags buy themselves tickets to a match and cause a fight on the luas.

Was about 20 I'd told at the Belgard stop and a few more at the Tallaght stop. Was loads more going around the Square afterwards too.

Just to point something out here, when the buses into town from Tolka after Shams matches and they were attacked, it was basically the same procedure on the forums complaining that Bohs and the guards didn't do anythng, and it being on Joe Duffy, Shams basically doing what the Shels fans are doing now, apart from this is a tad bit more serious as Shels fans were actually properly assualted.

• Advertisement

Was about 20 I'd told at the Belgard stop and a few more at the Tallaght stop. Was loads more going around the Square afterwards too.

Just to point something out here, when the buses into town from Tolka after Shams matches and they were attacked, it was basically the same procedure on the forums complaining that Bohs and the guards didn't do anythng, and it being on Joe Duffy, Shams basically doing what the Shels fans are doing now, apart from this is a tad bit more serious as Shels fans were actually properly assualted.
    I saw kids covered in blood coming into Tolka in 2008, after being attacked outside.

So was a complaint actually made to the Gardai over this?

I saw kids covered in blood coming into Tolka in 2008, after being attacked outside.

So was a complaint actually made to the Gardai over this?
    Yes and our club is appealing for more information on it.

The Luas incident made it into the indo this morning. It seems some Shels fans involved were not entirely innocent either....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-security-on-luas-as-football-thugs-ran-riot-2058042.html
    No security on Luas as football thugs ran riot

By Breda Heffernan

Thursday February 11 2010

THERE were no security guards on a Luas tram when warring football fans clashed last week.

The incident happened on the Red Line as supporters of Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne FC travelled home after a pre-season 'friendly' in Tallaght Stadium last Friday night.

Witnesses reported that a group of known Shelbourne fans, who have been banned from the team's home stadium, Tolka Park, began shouting abuse at Rovers supporters at the Belgard stop. A mass fight between the two groups ensued.

Gardai in Tallaght are investigating the incident and Luas operator Veolia Transport said it had handed over CCTV footage taken from the tram.

No passengers or staff were hurt in the incident, which occurred at about 10.30pm.

However, terrified passengers on the packed tram said they were left "very exposed" due to a lack of security guards.

A spokesperson for Veolia defended security arrangements for the Luas and said the company worked closely with gardai and Shamrock Rovers. However, she confirmed that no security guards were on the tram.

John Byrne, spokesman for the Shamrock Rovers Supporters' Club, said his officials were working with the gardai, Luas and the FAI to try and identify the troublemakers.

He added that if they were found to be Rovers' fans, then they would be banned from Tallaght Stadium.

Shelbourne FC declined to comment.

- Breda Heffernan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

/goes to Shels thread to troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

It's good that CCTV footage was handed over to the Gardai. Hopefully, some of the culprits from both sides ( Shels troublemakers identified by two Club officials ) can be identified and dealt with. This was probably a pre-arranged meet between two sets of twats, similar to the Dorset Street cases.
    The indo statement above says that no passengers were injured.

The indo statement above says that no passengers were injured.

Not meaning to continue this either, but the original reports suggested all sorts: severe injuries, knives and whatnot.

As for people who ring into Joe Duffy for a whinge. He said something on his show yesterday about past incidents where 'Bohemians supporters were attacked in Hardwicke street', which I can only assume he's mixing up with the attacks on our buses down there. He then told everyone that Bohs supporters are 'no angels' for good measure. No qualification of this: just conjecture on daytime radio.

Basically: thinking that shows like this are good for your minute of propaganda is misguided. They'll misrepresent and blacken the name of any of our clubs to get listeners.

• Advertisement

As someone who was on that Luas, I can say very comfortably that the Independent article in question has to be 1 of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever seen and is based entirely in fantasy. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

As someone who was on that Luas, I can say very comfortably that the Independent article in question has to be 1 of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever seen and is based entirely in fantasy. They should be ashamed of themselves.

rovers fan?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    rovers fan?
    Shels. The implication that this was a fight between 2 sets of hoolies as opposed to an attack on innocent fans is a difficult 1 to take considering I was a few feet away from being 1 of the innocent fans attacked and left in a pool of blood. Why a newspaper would want to report on something they've absolutely no information on I just can't understand, I can only imagine its salt in the wounds for the people who were attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shels. The implication that this was a fight between 2 sets of hoolies as opposed to an attack on innocent fans is a difficult 1 to take considering I was a few feet away from being 1 of the innocent fans attacked and left in a pool of blood. Why a newspaper would want to report on something they've absolutely no information on I just can't understand, I can only imagine its salt in the wounds for the people who were attacked.

Oh i know your a shels fan :)

Your doing what you accused the rovers fans 8 pages or so ago of doing with the "head in the sand" jibes.

We all have a % of scum fans, rovers have more fans so they have more.....simples.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Your doing what you accused the rovers fans 8 pages or so ago of doing with the "head in the sand" jibes.
    How? I was there and know what happened. I was pretty close to being one of those people battered, and I'm certainly not a hoolie.

• Advertisement

The Luas incident made it into the indo this morning. It seems some Shels fans involved were not entirely innocent either....

Yes they were, the article is pure boll**ks.

Hopefully, some of the culprits from both sides ( Shels troublemakers identified by two Club officials ) can be identified and dealt with. This was probably a pre-arranged meet between two sets of twats, similar to the Dorset Street cases.

WTF????

It's set out straight on liveline yesterday, http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ third podcast down. "Brendan" was one of the lads attacked and is what happened unlike what the tripe that's being spread around. Also to point out, none of the three attacked parties have or have ever been barred from Tolka.

At least Rovers have come out and condemned it, hopefully it is followed up on and they're banned from LOI games anywhere and put on proper criminal charges for GBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Shamrock Rovers FC have condemned the attack. Club spokesman John Byrne said: "Since the move to Tallaght we've enjoyed fantastic success and were not going to tolerate anti-social behaviour.

"Our club is on the way up and we don't want to be associated with this kind of thuggery. If they are identified they will never get anywhere near the stadium again, they're history."

So can we move on then? Great

Maybe you can go discuss your own club now

WTF????

You're missing the point.

Of course that account is true. Those lads got slapped and that's awful. Hopefully CCTV will bring up IDs and subsequent action.

The point that we're making is that your caller, your club and anybody else are selectively ignoring the fact that there was definitely a meet between the two sides. Now, while that doesn't condone what happened (especially to the three callers) in any way, it makes the general moralizing and jibes about our support being the only one with an element look a little bit stupid and selective.

Now that the club have made a statement, can we please the fuck get back to discussing our pre-season? This has been done to death.

I bet that no premiership club thread on here would have been allowed to go off-topic as long as this one has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Don't worry Gavin, Shamrock Rovers commitment to wiping out hooliganism.

Lest we forget....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20060723/ai_n16667559/

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Don't worry Gavin, Shamrock Rovers commitment to wiping out hooliganism.

Lest we forget....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20060723/ai_n16667559/

Youse know all about club execs that throw digs around, in fairness.

That said, it's hard to complain though seeing as it was Roddy on the end of it that time. :)

are selectively ignoring the fact that there was definitely a meet between the two sides
    I don't know what you're basing this on. Do you think the meet was at the luas stop elsewhere? The Shels fans who were beaten up are definitely not hooligans of any kind. We were being singled out by the minute we arrived at the Luas stop. There was Rovers scum all over the place asking who was Shels fans, until they were moved on by the guards, unfortunately they only went to the next stop and got to do the exact thing they had planned. Attack innocent Shelbourne fans. I'm very lucky to not be 1 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I don't know what you're basing this on. Do you think the meet was at the luas stop elsewhere? The Shels fans who were beaten up are definitely not hooligans of any kind. We were being singled out by the minute we arrived at the Luas stop. There was Rovers scum all over the place asking who was Shels fans, until they were moved on by the guards, unfortunately they only went to the next stop and got to do the exact thing they had planned. Attack innocent Shelbourne fans. I'm very lucky to not be 1 of them.

ive been hearing that cos some shels fans were wearing designer gear associated with casual scene they were started on any truth in that?? if so quite sad that ye cant wear good clothes without getting a slap.

major bill wrote: »
    ive been hearing that cos some shels fans were wearing designer gear associated with casual scene they were started on any truth in that?? if so quite sad that ye cant wear good clothes without getting a slap.
    I don't think that was the case, but as you said, even if it was, it doesn't justify it. Having been on the luas itself, its all the worse to hear the people being accused of being more than innocent, as you just wonder 'what if that was me, would I be getting accused of going looking for it?'

• Advertisement

Ive heard what happened first hand. Shame a few innocents got caught up in it, but if you dont want trouble when you travel maybe you should look at your own ranks.

Tallaght is not Longford where you can throw your weight around like big hard lads.

Ive heard what happened first hand. Shame a few innocents got caught up in it, but if you dont want trouble when you travel maybe you should look at your own ranks.

Tallaght is not Longford where you can throw your weight around like big hard lads.
    Do enlighten as to what happened then, since you know better than someone who was there..

Do enlighten as to what happened then, since you know better than someone who was there..
    See that line below? Thats the one im drawing under this discussion. Poor darling innocent Shels fans will have to be content with the club officially condemning and offering to help the Gardai any way they can, saying theyll ban any fan identfied as being involved, repeated condemnations by our fans on here of this incident which was beyond our control, away from the ground and is a general public order issue, the likes of which happens every other day on the LUAS red line.

_________

Now seriously, stop trolling the thread. If you want to discuss this, start a new thread so we can all ignore it. Im putting you on my ignore list now, so dont bother replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They weren't looking for trouble. They were merely getting public transport home to the area where they live!

Sorry to disappoint Rovers apologists...

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Sorry to disappoint Rovers apologists...

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1418

Good to see Rovers, the FAI and the Gardai are working together on this and the incident has been reported officially. Can we leave it at that then?

I'm delighted for yis.

Now, be sure to let us know when you and the other wet-the-beds are OK about us having this thread back to discuss our team won't you?

Amazing how you lot react when the shoe is on the other foot.

Different story when your fans were being attacked around Dorset St.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I've a pain in my hole with this. What do you want?

All this "You started it by whinging about us. No, you started it. No, you did" ****e. Grow up.

Both clubs, the Gardai, the FAI and the LUAS are all working together to investigate the reported and well publicised incident. So I'll ask again, what more do you want?

Wrong, we accepted there it was nothing to do with Bohs as a club but was a Garda public order issue. Despite them being our biggest rivals we didn't go around labeling all Bohs fans as hooligans and scum or that Bohemian FC had a head in the sand attitude towards it like Shels fans have done on here and elsewhere over the last week.

Here is the thread from our forum when we were attacked on our way to and from Tolka on a regular basis. Notice how it's the Garda inaction we were complaining about rather than blaming all Bohs fans or Bohs as a club.

http://www.srfcultrasforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3763

SRFC as usual went quietly about their business liasing with the Gardai to ensure there was a police presence at that location when there was a match on. No hysterics, no labeling all bohs fans as hooligans, just an effort to ensure that it didn't happen again. Same as now with the Luas incident, liasing with the Gardai and Shels to make sure something like this doesn't happen again and trying to identify those involved and banning them. Despite being told this a week ago Shels fans here and elsewhere are still trotting out the ususal lines "rovers fans are scum" "rovers have a massive hooligan problem" "what would you expect with a hooligan on the board" etc. Not a word about why there wasn't security on the Luas, not a thing about why the Gardai didn't feel the need to sufficiently police the area when there was a match on with two big Dublin rivals. Seriously what more do you want SRFC to do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wrong, we accepted there it was nothing to do with Bohs as a club but was a Garda public order issue. Despite them being our biggest rivals we didn't go around labeling all Bohs fans as hooligans and scum or that Bohemian FC had a head in the sand attitude towards it like Shels fans have done on here and elsewhere over the last week.

Here is the thread from our forum when we were attacked on our way to and from Tolka on a regular basis. Notice how it's the Garda inaction we were complaining about rather than blaming all Bohs fans or Bohs as a club.

http://www.srfcultrasforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3763

And if the Shels fans or anyone else would like to find a tape of the Joe Duffy show that they are fond of from then, they'll find Jonathan Roche saying that those lads and hence incidents had absolutely nothing to do with Bohs when asked about that.

And he was right.

It is the hypocrisy of Shamrock Rovers FC that sticks.

They say they will bar people involved in hooliganism from their club yet they refused to accept the resignation of one of their own officials covicted in a court of law for a football related incident.

It is the hypocrisy of Shamrock Rovers FC that sticks.

They say they will bar people involved in hooliganism from their club yet they refused to accept the resignation of one of their own officials covicted in a court of law for a football related incident.

There you go again. Same old same old. Didn't even attempt to address any of the points I made earlier but then again I didn't expect anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There you go again. Same old same old. Didn't even attempt to address any of the points I made earlier but then again I didn't expect anything else.

Seriously, I wouldn't bother. There's very few people who are actually interested is talking about the issues at hand and how to resolve them and instead just looking for a chance to have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This thread is a one stop shop for all the tabloid and Indo journos now.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Des wrote: »
    This thread is a one stop shop for all the tabloid and Indo journos now.

Nice one.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Shels and innocent are not 2 words that go together :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

The final sentence in the Shels statement is the important one.
    It's good that witness statements have been made. It gives the Gardai ( and then obviously Rovers ) a chance to act on this. For too long, these type of incidents have gone unreported which means that nothing can be done. Hopefully, the witness statement of CSF, who got a close look at the culprits both at the game and on the Luas, will be of benefit.

Hopefully, the witness statement of CSF, who got a close look at the culprits both at the game and on the Luas, will be of benefit.
    Is that sarcasm or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Lock this thread please :(

Sad how some people are so obsessed with having a constant go at other clubs, they provide perfect fodder (time and time again) for enemies of the league: be they barstoolers and journalists. Place is turning into foot.ie with supporters ready to throw as much dirt as possible regardless of the collateral damage.

Do you see the supporters of EPL clubs here creating train-wreck threads because a couple of their supporters got a dig in Manchester or Liverpool or city centre?

• Advertisement
Advertisement