Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Geography book do you use?

• 13-02-2010 5:58pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, as none of them seem to be particularly good (information seems to be all over the place etc.)

The book I use is Planet and People (Mentor books) http://www.mentorbooks.ie/book.aspx?contentid=100
    But I don't think it is great. Luckily we have a great teacher who makes up what the book is lacking with notes etc.

Which book do you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I have ECO, it's pure useless doesn't cover the course in near enough detail. For example a soil type in geoecology, potential 80 mark question in the exam that you're expect to write roughly three pages on. ECO gives the topic less than half a page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Today's World book 1 & 2. Its good for a geography book but I use revision books to save the hassle of bringing it home because they fill up a bit of space in my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Same as unknown13 (except I have book3 instead of 2), I don't use them outside of class really...I use sample answers my teacher photocopied for us and my revision book (Revisewise) for learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

short cuts to success for regional and physical and teachers notes for the rest! theres a book we sometimes use in class think its eco or something but i dont have it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies!

On a related note, does anybody know of the best Geography HL Revision book. I'd like one that is concise (i.e. contains SRP rather than waffle) but still has enough to be studied without heavy reliance on a text book as well. I'm doing the Geoecology Option and the Human Elective so I'd like if the Geography revision book contained these options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

We have Dynamic Human Geography.. even my teacher says its not great. We use loads of photocopied notes and stuff though. The book is grand for extra bits then..

Have ye done yer Fieldwork yet? how was it?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

cork*girl wrote: »
    Have ye done yer Fieldwork yet? how was it?!

We did it last year, but we are in the process of writing it up into the real booklet now. It was ok. It takes up a lot of time, but if you do it right it's easy marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

We used Today's World books 1 & 3, and our teacher also supplemented us with notes covering exam questions that were asked before, which was a great system. There's no way there's enough in those books to get an A1, or anything close.

We still haven't finished writing the fake one >_<.

I looked at less stress more success, I prefer revisewise. Didn't get to get a real good look at it but I like rw so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I still havn't done my field project yet, i'm doing it a week or two after the midterm. Book wise I have Today's World 1 and 2 but havn't used them since the start of fifth year, i'm still looking for a revision book because i don't think Less Stress More Success or Revise Wise are any good for Geography but might just be my me.

• Advertisement

DancingQueen, tell me if you find one, I'll get one of my friends to buy it and borrow it during free class :D

I get sample answers from e-xamit sometimes. The problem is they're really lazy people who copy and paste their sample answers for any questions that are remotely the same and some of the essay's structure and vocab are very difficult to understand or just plain incomprehensible(I usually re-write their essay with major structure and vocab change). Not bad if I use it as a rough template though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

H2student wrote: »
    DancingQueen, tell me if you find one, I'll get one of my friends to buy it and borrow it during free class :D

I get sample answers from e-xamit sometimes. The problem is they're really lazy people who copy and paste their sample answers for any questions that are remotely the same and some of the essay's structure and vocab are very difficult to understand or just plain incomprehensible(I usually re-write their essay with major structure and vocab change). Not bad if I use it as a rough template though.

Will do, I'm usually the person that gets her notes taken but i'm used to it! I'm taking the week off anything school related but i'll have a look after that.

I tried to use e-xamit but tend to use my teachers notes and little bits and pieces from my book instead but they have some great points on the website. There's no harm taking things from the website if you learn from it when you do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I did Geography two years ago. I found that none of the revision books had enough information to get 15 srps. They're fine if you're aiming for under that, but otherwise not an awful lot of use. I had Today's World, which was fairly good. But everything we did was heavily supplemented by notes from our teacher. I always found it good to try and learn more than was required for a 15srp answer, that way it was OK to forget a few because you'd still have enough. If you want more SRPs, google the topic- luckily it's not too hard to find information on Geography topics.

Make sure you all look at the marking scheme for the field trips on www.examinations.ie. I don't know how you'd get near full marks without looking at it- it's hard to get in exactly what it requires, but is worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Thanks for the replies!

On a related note, does anybody know of the best Geography HL Revision book. I'd like one that is concise (i.e. contains SRP rather than waffle) but still has enough to be studied without heavy reliance on a text book as well. I'm doing the Geoecology Option and the Human Elective so I'd like if the Geography revision book contained these options.

Exam Skills Geography is a very good and concise revision book.It gives sample essays for every question and breaks down the srp's in the essays very well and yes it covers geoecology and human elective.
    A must buy imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

DL Saint wrote: »
    Exam Skills Geography is a very good and concise revision book.It gives sample essays for every question and breaks down the srp's in the essays very well and yes it covers geoecology and human elective.
    A must buy imo.

Sounds good. It wasn't around in my day all those years ago:pac:. I had Revise Wise, Less Stress, and Shortcuts to the Success Map and Photograph Skills book. The Skills book was reasonable enough but I didn't find the other two great.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

dambarude wrote: »
    Sounds good. It wasn't around in my day all those years ago:pac:. I had Revise Wise, Less Stress, and Shortcuts to the Success Map and Photograph Skills book. The Skills book was reasonable enough but I didn't find the other two great.

Ye it wasn't around in my day either,which was last year,lol
    But I'm repeating this year and it has helped so much:D

Just bought it today, took a while to find it because all the revision books are placed in one specific corner in my local book store but Exam Skills Geography was placed behind the geography textbooks, guess they consider it as good as a textbook :P

I too would recommend it. (15 euros though >_<, spent too much money on books lately)

I'm consdering getting Exam Skills Geography, as it seems to be good, but it's written by the same author as my textbook, and the textbook isn't great!

But that doesn't necessarily mean anything!

It's best that you go to the bookstore and read it yourself.

The chemistry textbook - Chemistry Live isn't great either but the revision book by the same author is great so this might be better than the textbook.

An advantage it has over the other textbooks is that it's newer. From what I can see, the newer the better because it gives the author more time to look at what regularly comes up in the papers and prepare the students for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

Hey I do the human elective too. And whats great for that is the text book todays world. I have about 3 revision books. All of which I find terrible. If you're aiming for a low b/c grade they'll do. But they often leave you 2 or 3 srps less than what you need. Plus there's none that are recent enough to give current facts. Honestly I hate lugging those text books to and from school, but there's a reason I do, they're fantastic! Specially for the human elective!

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

I have the Exam Skills Geography book. It seems much better than the revise wise ones or any of the others.

Also seems better than the book itself, tbh I don't know why they don't just teach out of it and then refer back to the book rather than the other way around.

the biome questions sill confuses me though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

i thought this thread was new and i was like D: you dont even have your rough work done yet?! :L

In 5th we used plant and people for physical, then we used exam skills geography/another economic book for everything else... planet & people, goddamn that book is heavy :pac:

Advertisement