Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screed on timber first floor

• 13-02-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Finally got the planning sorted and gearing up to get started shortly. Going timber frame, looking at putting a screed on the first floor.

Has anyone here got this in their house or know anyone with it, is it worthwhile?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was involved with one timber frame build where there was a screed poured for underfloor heating on the first floor.
    The timber frame company need to be informed of this obviusly so that they will factor in the loadings from the screed plus the extra height required.
    Turned out very well from a heating & soundproofing point f view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

thanks mickdw,

we have all the design end sorted alright glad to hear it works well cos it costs a nice few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lynchysparks

its well worth the effort great for underfloor heating and sound if the right screed is use you can get a lovely smooth and level finished all in one go i have worked on over 20 houses with pumped in screeded floors and there a class finish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jamurphmes

Hi, just reading your comments about first floor screeds. I am going to do the same just in a solid block house. I plan to put 25mm insulation boards on top of the flooring boards, then the underfloor heating and then 65mm screed.
    What is the best type of flooring boards to use? A friend of mine used shuttering ply and attached underfloor heating directly to the ply and then screed. He had expanding foam already between joists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

For this application a "flo" screed is best not least because you can get the thickness down to 40mm .

Less weight on the structure
    Faster to heat up

This is one of many types available
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WOAPU2PiQc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

jamurphmes wrote: »
    Hi, just reading your comments about first floor screeds. I am going to do the same just in a solid block house. I plan to put 25mm insulation boards on top of the flooring boards, then the underfloor heating and then 65mm screed.
    What is the best type of flooring boards to use? A friend of mine used shuttering ply and attached underfloor heating directly to the ply and then screed. He had expanding foam already between joists.

It sounds like you have a timber first floor construction.

Make sure you take on board Mickdw's comments about floor loading because adding significant extra dead weight to a timber first floor construction may require you to increase the specification of the supporting joists.

The width may be okay, but typically they may need to be of greater depth and possibly more closely spaced with more bracing.

You should get a competent engineer to check the span/load/joist calculations and sign off on the joist specification allowing not only for the weight of screed but also for the water in the pipes etc.

Raising up the FFL by so much together with the increased joist depth will require you to check the compliance of your window sill heights, doors/frames and stairs and landing/room threshold details.

This where at design stage it pays to have an extra 150-300mm head height to play with on the ground floor over and above the normal 2400mm, even if you weren't after extra height for effect and were trying to minimise costs.

FWIW

ONQ.

Advertisement