Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay plan-reasons for 1916 failure?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me an essay plan-just main point for each paragraph-for the essay "what were the reasons the 1916 Rising was a failure"?

Comments

• Failure of the Aud & MacNeill calling off the Rising
    • Only 1519 rebels took to the streets/ 12000 British by the Thursday
    • Not enough weaponry
    • Rebels thought British would not use heavy artillery in the city, but they used 18 pound guns and the Helga gunboat, which the rebels couldn't fight against.
    You could also mention the blood sacrifice ideal held by the leaders, meaning they didn't care so much about winning, but about martyring themselves to inspire others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

• Failure of the Aud & MacNeill calling off the Rising
    • Only 1519 rebels took to the streets/ 12000 British by the Thursday
    • Not enough weaponry
    • Rebels thought British would not use heavy artillery in the city, but they used 18 pound guns and the Helga gunboat, which the rebels couldn't fight against.
    You could also mention the blood sacrifice ideal held by the leaders, meaning they didn't care so much about winning, but about martyring themselves to inspire others.
    Thanks. I was thinking Roger Casement's failure go get an Irish Brigade as well. I'd like another 2-3 paragraphs though:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MacNeill calling off the Rising
    I'd make a lot more of this ... disagreement within the volunteers, conflicting orders, communication breakdown ... there's a lot there and it's pretty pivotal.

This post (from an old argument :D) might help, few other useful comments in that thread too (but beware of those who are blindsided by jingoism! ;))
    I would agree pretty much, but the emphasis is a bit wrong I think ... by the time the Rising started, the leaders already had a fair idea it was futile, but went ahead anyway in the hope their gesture would inspire others.

That's not to say that this was their ideal scenario ... I have no doubt that they would have preferred to be going in with a real hope of winning, I don't think they were that anxious to die! :)

Owen, I would add:
    ... the failure to press home the attack on Dublin Castle (read up on it)
    ... lack of leaders with real military training / experience

I'd make a lot more of this ... disagreement within the volunteers, conflicting orders, communication breakdown ... there's a lot there and it's pretty pivotal.

This post (from an old argument :D) might help, few other useful comments in that thread too (but beware of those who are blindsided by jingoism! ;))

I would agree pretty much, but the emphasis is a bit wrong I think ... by the time the Rising started, the leaders already had a fair idea it was futile, but went ahead anyway in the hope their gesture would inspire others.

That's not to say that this was their ideal scenario ... I have no doubt that they would have preferred to be going in with a real hope of winning, I don't think they were that anxious to die! :)

Owen, I would add:
    ... the failure to press home the attack on Dublin Castle (read up on it)
    ... lack of leaders with real military training / experience
    Thanking you:D From your post in the link; do you think I could condense a few of the locations and contrast it with guerilla warfare. Like, how they should have fought? Not sure if I'd get away with that:P

theowen wrote: »
    Thanking you:D From your post in the link; do you think I could condense a few of the locations and contrast it with guerilla warfare. Like, how they should have fought? Not sure if I'd get away with that:P
    I wouldn't get too into it, you might just over-complicate your life.

That said, a comment that given their lack of numbers / weapons etc. an open assault was unlikely to succeed given the resources which the British could ultimately call upon, and that the Irish had much more success with guerilla tactics a few years later ... that sounds safe enough, perhaps?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too into it, you might just over-complicate your life.

That said, a comment that given their lack of numbers / weapons etc. an open assault was unlikely to succeed given the resources which the British could ultimately call upon, and that the Irish had much more success with guerilla tactics a few years later ... that sounds safe enough, perhaps?
    I could have wrote an essay on the preparations for it and/or reasons for failure, and then the Q was it a military failure pops up. Arg:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    I could have wrote an essay on the preparations for it and/or reasons for failure, and then the Q was it a military failure pops up. Arg:rolleyes:
    On the mocks?

Why was that a problem?

Just a matter of adjusting your emphasis slightly, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gera

Dont call him surely

Advertisement