Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IDE? (currently using X-Code)

Options
  • 13-02-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hello!
    Just wanted to ask the question what Open Source IDE are people using.

Student, working with Audio and Music related DSP etc. I'm using X-code, Code Blocks and DEV C++. Working in C and C++.

Anyway, my issues are this. I can't seem to get X-Code to build a .exe that will run on Windows, anything I compile on Code Blocks won't run on my Mac Terminal. And DEV C++ which I think I prefer of all three won't run on my home computer which is a Mac with OS 10.4. This is fine for the moment 'cause most of my projects will just cut and paste from IDE to IDE, but the stuff coming up soon is going to require that I work with a project as opposed to just a main() and some sub routines.

Elipse won't run on my current system, so what to do what to do.

Ideally I'd like to work on X-Code and be able to compile a .exe file. But I don't think that's possible??? And I seriously doubt if the project files would have and relationship that would be easily transfered from one to another.

Any suggestions, what are other's experiences of trying to work with these configurations to tools?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you trying to compile a windows exe file on a mac? Afaik Code Blocks should do it, if that doesnt work try using a windows command line program such as borland in wine and see how it goes

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Currently using:

Visual Studio 2008 but not so much any more. (see below)

IDLE which was okay on windows but I'm loving it on linux.

pydev on eclipse using it for GAE and Django stuff but I stick to IDLE for general python. It's a fantastic language. You see while I was C# for a long time I decided it was time to move away from microsoft and into something new. Python seemed a good choice, and it was. I'll just say that in no way do I feel that *Microsoft are Evil* or anything like that; TBH I consider that attitude either a) unexperienced or b) unprofessional (There are two types of people in the world ...). For me it was just time for a change and I had the opportunity to do so so I took it. In short I still think that .Net rocks but 7 years of it was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hearing good things about Python alright. I think I'll get to grips with C and C++ first though.

Seriously considering the move to a Windows or Linux rig. Been a Mac user since I sold my old Atari 1040. Mac seems to work well with it's own apps and stuff that's been traditionally done on Mac. But I'm running into all sorts of grief using the platform for coding, particularly on a PPC set-up.

I've got a big thesis project coming up and right now I'm not sure if it's me or the toys I'm using. A bit of both at the moment, I would like to be in a situation where if something wasn't working it was down to my inexperience rather than a computer compatability issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I love Visual Studio 2008.

Advertisement