Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best replacement for eircom landline phone

• 13-02-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hello

I got a call from upc saying that i could get their broadband but not their voip phone service. At the moment we pay about 25 euro a week i think for the landline irregardless of usage-would we be better off getting a mobile to act as the 'landline' of the house? or can you get special phone that use a constant connection to skype?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hello

I got a call from upc saying that i could get their broadband but not their voip phone service. At the moment we pay about 25 euro a week i think for the landline irregardless of usage-would we be better off getting a mobile to act as the 'landline' of the house? or can you get special phone that use a constant connection to skype?

What is stopping you from using a third party for your voip such as Freespeech or Blueface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jonnreeds

With special adapters (ATA) a regular phone might do the trick but not 100%. It is recommended to get a softphone installed on your PC as a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jonnreeds wrote: »
    With special adapters (ATA) a regular phone might do the trick but not 100%. It is recommended to get a softphone installed on your PC as a replacement.

Old thread, so hardly a need for this post. But just to correct you, an ATA will be far better than a soft phone. The computer will have to be on for a soft phone to work, and your regular house phone can't be used with it. Using an ATA, you don't need the computer on, and you can use your existing phone or DECT cordless phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement