Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer announced finish nightpack where I am working. Need help!

Options
  • 13-02-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello peeps, I am working in ireland together 25 months(2 jobs).

Second job is my current. I work nightpack only!(10PM until 2, 3 or 4AM - as managers need store to be packed). My problem is:

1 week ago we had the meeting with person from Human Resources and she said that they received a letter from HQ in Dublin. That letter was about Nightpack - finish in our store.
    Payrate I have now is 11.85e/hour and work 23 months there with average amount of 18-20h/week!.
    Now they call each of us nightpackers to sign a new contract(daily, evening, weekends shifts for 9.45e/hour with the same amount of hours/week).

Now what I need to know: Do I need to give them a Resignation letter????
    The point of my problem: I won't no longer work in there so I said them that I don't sign a new contract(9.45e/hour). On my previous contract wasn't date of work ending date. They closing nightshif and they asked me if i sign new daily contract. I repeat I won't work with them.

Please I need to know If i must give them resignation letter or if it is their business!. My last nightshift is on 21.2.10.

Urgent.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
    Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

macokovac wrote: »
    Hello peeps, I am working in ireland together 25 months(2 jobs).

Second job is my current. I work nightpack only!(10PM until 2, 3 or 4AM - as managers need store to be packed). My problem is:

1 week ago we had the meeting with person from Human Resources and she said that they received a letter from HQ in Dublin. That letter was about Nightpack - finish in our store.
    Payrate I have now is 11.85e/hour and work 23 months there with average amount of 18-20h/week!.
    Now they call each of us nightpackers to sign a new contract(daily, evening, weekends shifts for 9.45e/hour with the same amount of hours/week).
    sounds reasonably
    Now what I need to know: Do I need to give them a Resignation letter????
    if your contract says so - then you do have to give an official letter
    The point of my problem: I won't no longer work in there so I said them that I don't sign a new contract(9.45e/hour). On my previous contract wasn't date of work ending date. They closing nightshif and they asked me if i sign new daily contract. I repeat I won't work with them.
    as previously mentioned, if you work with a company longer than a certain time then you are supposed to provide the letter of resignation within given time limit (tell me if I'm wrong but 2 weeks in this case, of course if your current contract is not saying anything different)

Please I need to know If i must give them resignation letter or if it is their business!. My last nightshift is on 21.2.10.

Dear OP, see my previous comments. There's one other thing that comes to my mind: usually when there's a substantial change in a terms of your contract you are being given an appendix (or it might be a new contract saying that the previous is/will be terminated). In that case you are given at least 30days to reconsider and if you don't want the job - just don't sign it.

If the new details of your employment have been given to you less than 30 days in advance, then you might seek advice with Citizen Inf. as I think they cannot legally do that.

(just out of curosity - what nationality are you? sen me a private message if you like)

that should be it,
    Marek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 macokovac

I dont know when they exactly announced it but it was in feb before 6.feb for sure... so lets say they announced it 3.2. and nightpack closure is stated on 21.2. so there is less than month.

I don't know if I get what u wrote here but seems like you pointing me to give them my notice or resignation letter(whatever).

Other Q:
    I was working yesterday and asked every person who leave(who wouldn't sign a new contract) and nobody was asked for this!!... SO I don't understand why she(HR manager) asked only me to write resignation letter?

Where is the point?
    Isn't it like they want save some money on me?
    And other thing: As I stated above in 1st post, 21.2.10 it will be 23 months I am in this job and I applied 8 months ago for jobseeker allowance. Means I am bringing every wednesday lil doclets with worked hours to social welfare. That means my earnings is in average 190-220e - I am still waiting for decision from social welfare, I have an interview with social W inspector on 26.2.10 so hope they will accept it..

And what about social welfare: One more time repeat that I don't resign myself from nightpack, That is business of the store where I work so I just won't sign a new contract(ticket to the hell). ANd very funny thing at the end: If I will give them resignation letter, that means I am maybe not able to get that jobseeker allowance/ in future jobseeker benefit because they tell me that I left myself from ''any'' job and now want them to feed my mouth.

This is everything I would to wrote here,.
    If there is more ppl with my problem plz post it here.

THX a lot

Regards
    M. K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

they are asking for a resignation letter so that you cannot go back to them in a few months time and say you were fired. they probably wnat you to state that you cannot work the hours they are alternatively offering you.

as for your houly rate as a night pack you get at leat time and a half for working unsocial hours.

they are asking for a resignation letter so that you cannot go back to them in a few months time and say you were fired. they probably wnat you to state that you cannot work the hours they are alternatively offering you.

as for your houly rate as a night pack you get at leat time and a half for working unsocial hours.

Ok then Why only I was asked to give them resign letter? there is 5 ppl who leave and they shouldn't do that?
    hmm strange for me. Anyway I think I will not give them this letter. I have contract on nightpack and payrate 11.85 so if they cannot give me these, That is not my problem. So no reason to give them resign letter right or not???

thanks in advice

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As regards the social welfare you will lose your entitlement to it if you refuse to accept the new terms of your contract and instead tender your resignation.

It's quite reasonable that you would receive a lower rate for day time hours as night pack workers are generally paid higher rates as a sort of compensation for working unsociable hours.

My advice would be to sign the new contract and carry on working for your employer, you can continue to look for alternative employment and give your resignation when you secure something more suitable.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies. I decided to stay there - signed new contract.

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

socialwel wrote: »
    As regards the social welfare you will lose your entitlement to it if you refuse to accept the new terms of your contract and instead tender your resignation.

It's quite reasonable that you would receive a lower rate for day time hours as night pack workers are generally paid higher rates as a sort of compensation for working unsociable hours.

My advice would be to sign the new contract and carry on working for your employer, you can continue to look for alternative employment and give your resignation when you secure something more suitable.

this information is misleading. he can lose the entitlements but only up to 9weeks in total: (source)
    Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days in order to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means, you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:

* Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    * Lost your job through misconduct
    * Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    [...]

Advertisement