Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

piping a grant or firebird condensate boiler. help please!!

• 13-02-2010 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭

hi, ive been asked to change a boiler for a friend. he has a standard oil boiler sited in his back yard ,but its old , so he wants to buy a new one. nowadays, its condensate boilers that are fitted. im just wondering is it the same principal when fitting them. flow, return , safety valve and air vent??? obviously the condensate is there too. where is that supposed to be piped to? can it just be let out on the ground ? are there any other rules about flue or installing a condensate boiler etc. thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

tom thum wrote: »
    hi, ive been asked to change a boiler for a friend. he has a standard oil boiler sited in his back yard ,but its old , so he wants to buy a new one. nowadays, its condensate boilers that are fitted. im just wondering is it the same principal when fitting them. flow, return , safety valve and air vent??? obviously the condensate is there too. where is that supposed to be piped to? can it just be let out on the ground ? are there any other rules about flue or installing a condensate boiler etc. thanks lads.
    hi, firebird have a great range of condensating boilers , i think the outdoor one that you would want is called the enviromax systempac it comes with the pump and vessell already fitted which saves you time and work, safety valve and air vent and flow and return fitted as usual.
    the condensate pipe should be piped to a drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Firebird produce a lot of documents on there website about this.

however I would like to caution you that you are liable in the eyes of the law if this boiler catches fire and if your friend says s/he does not know who wired the boiler they may have problems with there insurence.

If i were a DIYER I would chance anything except boiler installiations... Seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

sullzz wrote: »
    hi, firebird have a great range of condensating boilers , i think the outdoor one that you would want is called the enviromax systempac it comes with the pump and vessell already fitted which saves you time and work, safety valve and air vent and flow and return fitted as usual.
    thank sullz, but if its an open vented system should there be a vessel in it?? and , also, is it a rule that the condensate has to go into a drain or is it just proper practice??? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

you are thinking of the combi version of that boiler, Pumps and vessels do not come with the system boiler.
    tom thum wrote: »
    thank sullz, but if its an open vented system should there be a vessel in it?? and , also, is it a rule that the condensate has to go into a drain or is it just proper practice??? thanks

You don't appear to have the basic knowledge needed for this job, why would your friend ask you to do it?

It is important that it is installad correctly and safely. Frost stat will have to be wired. There is a lot to know about it. Once it is installed it will need to be commissioned, unless you have a flue analyzer and oil pressure testing kit you won't be able to do it.

The condenstate is slightly acidic and will have to be ran to a plastic drain or a lime soak away would be used if no drain availible.

you are thinking of the combi version of that boiler, Pumps and vessels do not come with the system boiler.
    sorry Micky your actualy wrong the pump and vessell do come fitted in the systempac , all the info you need is on the firebird website .
    There is a big difference between a system boiler and a combi boiler (not too easy to get mixed up )

• Advertisement

sorry Micky your actualy wrong the pump and vessell do come fitted in the systempac , all the info you need is on the firebird website .
    There is a big difference between a system boiler and a combi boiler (not too easy to get mixed up )

a lot of modern gas boilers are system and combi combined you just pipe it accordingly. ;)

a lot of modern gas boilers are system and combi combined you just pipe it accordingly. ;)
    whats a combi boiler in your opinion joey

whats a combi boiler in your opinion joey

my opinion or fact? :)

Its the type of boiler that produces hot water on demand. Usually doing away with the need for hot water storage.

The baxi system the raven heat combi and the potterton combi are all combinations of boilers that allow themselves to be either systems or combi's but not both together. You make a detailed adjustment and black off the instant water panel

sorry joey , thought that you meant that most modern gas boilers bought now could be used as a combi boiler , didnt know you were reffering to certain models , you gave me a bit of a fright there , i knew you knew better than that. apologies.
    the boilers your talking about must cost an arm and a leg.

sorry joey , thought that you meant that most modern gas boilers bought now could be used as a combi boiler , didnt know you were reffering to certain models , you gave me a bit of a fright there , i knew you knew better than that. apologies.
    the boilers your talking about must cost an arm and a leg.

Nope not expensive. Just google baxi system 35/80 ie and look at the part where it explains how to channel direct hot water. This is an excellent tool because it means in a house with 2 professionals you can have direct hot water at 65 deg to the sink in the summer doing away with the need for heating from may onwards. Its actually what I am doing this summer. I only need to fit and wire a cylinder stat.

By current regulations it is forbidden to supply one of these boilers however they are legal to fit and commission(I can be corrected) and as the halo rep only told me last week " I wont insult you by telling you to change a 3 year old boiler"

These boilers were the bread and butter of varios companies over the last few years. i reckon i supplied the guts of 2000 alone and I was small time compared to Heatmerchants.

These boilers are no more that 7 years old so no way can I see anyone forking out 2500 for a modern version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As stated by other posters, I don't think this is something which can be done by a non professional. Closing thread before it adds any more danger to the situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement