Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorillaz

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard their new album Plastic Beach yet and if so what are their first impressions of it?

I got my hands on a promo copy and I have to say I am fairly disappointed after one listen. It all sounds very samey-samey and lacks direction IMO. My main gripe is that Gorillaz produced this album themselves and this could have been their main down fall. Their last two albums (which were mainly produced by Dan The Automator and Danger Mouse respectively) where instant classics and I think maybe Damon Albarn & Co. bit off abit more then they could chew this time around.

I will give it a few more spins though and hopefully it will grow on me because I am a big fan of their other work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what would you say is the best song on the new album ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

the song of theirs on the radio at the moment is utter garbage. How annoying can a vocal be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

yea the new song was surprisingly downbeat for a gorrilaz single i can only imagine the song they have with snoop dogg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

eeek! must check this out, not liking your opinions so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Yup, new single isnt the best. Its a bit of a grower though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Tbh, my expectations for this album have not been very high. Their first album was their best imo. Second album, whilst solid, was far more chart oriented and had less of an alternative hip hop sound.

I still won't judge it until I hear it though but I'm not cracking up with anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

magma69 wrote: »
    Tbh, my expectations for this album have not been very high. Their first album was their best imo. Second album, whilst solid, was far more chart oriented and had less of an alternative hip hop sound.

I still won't judge it until I hear it though but I'm not cracking up with anticipation.
    apparently its going to be one of the albums of the year by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Fake Locke wrote: »
    apparently its going to be one of the albums of the year by all accounts.

I tend not to listen to music magazine hype. I don't know how many "one of the best albums of the year" turned out to be completely underwhelming. NME are fantastic at hyping up mediocrity.

I could be wrong but I'm not going to shit myself with excitement just yet.

magma69 wrote: »
    I tend not to listen to music magazine hype. I don't know how many "one of the best albums of the year" turned out to be completely underwhelming. NME are fantastic at hyping up mediocrity.

I could be wrong but I'm not going to shit myself with excitement just yet.
    Seems to be a very ambitious project all the same. Bobby Womack, De La Soul and countless others involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeebus, I'm well impressed with the new single - can't stop listening to it!

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Jeebus, I'm well impressed with the new single - can't stop listening to it!
    Up for single of the month on another thread Dudess if you want to give it your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

As far as I know there was a fake copy of the album going around most trackers, maybe you heard this one?

I'm just saying that because I want this album to be great :|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm happy to say that this album is a grower! I was disappointed after my first listen because of the albums over all pop sound where as the other albums had a more alternative hip-hop vibe off them (which I am a big fan off btw), but in saying that some of the tracks are really good, especially the ones that feature the brass ensemble & orchestra.

Overall the positive reviews are truly warranted and I will be getting this album when it gets released in a few weeks (the "this is the property of record company" announcement because very grating after a while).
    As far as I know there was a fake copy of the album going around most trackers, maybe you heard this one?

The one doing the rounds is an instrumental of Gorillaz "D-sides" album with Stylo thrown in to make it look authentic so it's definitely not that.

Also how come this thread was moved Dudess?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I have to say Stylo is one of the best songs i have heard in a long while. Beutiful track. Love Albarn's languid vocal style. Lyrics are quality and Bobby Womack gives a Shara Nelson unfinished symathy style vocal. Excellent. Love the beats.
    It also has the line "sing yourself out of depression / rise above all recession / if i know your heart / electric is the love"

Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

ricero wrote: »
    what would you say is the best song on the new album ?

Sorry only saw this now. I think the best song on the album is "White Flag". It starts off with The Lebanese National Orchestra for Oriental Arabic Music playing a nice flute and bongo led "arabian nights" type piece then bursts into life with London grime artists Bashy & Kano intertwining rhymes over a typical Gorillaz upbeat alternative hip-hop style beat (lots of bleeps and glitches with what sounds like a children's toy piano playing on a loop)...........then ends how it starts with the Orchestra playing out but with the hip-hop beat mixed in this time. Nice track :)

BTW the De La Soul track is terrible this time around......., it's about fastfood for breakfast, I always skip it when it comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

This is one epic video. Starring Bruce Willis no less. Check it out its awsome:D

Advertisement