Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC Price paradox

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi
    Occasionally I'm visiting KFC to eat something unhealthy :) but today I became stunned when ordered food. I wanted 6 pieces of chicken and 3 spicy wings thats all - kind lady told me that it will be cheaper to get chicken pieces in a meal with fries, fair enough I said but I don't want fries with it so how much would that be? The answer was "around 30 euro". I was shocked but said that I'll take it with fries instead if its really cheaper. How much did I pay? 12,50 euro.
    Question is where is the logic in selling less food over 100% dearer?
    6 pieces +3 spicy wings = ~30 euro
    6 pieces +3 spicy wings + 2x fries = 12,50 euro

Is there any extra explanation for this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

marious wrote: »
    Question is where is the logic in selling less food over 100% dearer?
    Because people will pay it, you almost did. This comes up all the time in the consumer issues forum, some people think shops have some sort of legal obligation to sell things in bulk cheaper. Family size tins of beans/peas/curry sauce etc are quite often more expensive than the standard size. I have been working out prices since I was a kid, far before shops had those price per kilo signs (which are often incorrect BTW, and I don't think they are covered by law).

In my local tesco a twin pack of coke is nearly always more expensive than 2x2L separately.

With KFC they might get the bargain hunters in the door with good meal deals, while others would go there regardless and just simply do not bother figuring out what is a good deal. I am always shocked when I see young people (presumably not flush with cash) who ignore the eurosaver menus in mcdonalds and BK.

~10 years back a mate of mine used to get a junior whopper, small chips & small coke and then would start scabbing chips off us. He would claim he "only wanted" this small amount, I kept telling him to get the meal, he would order them all separately, he never even copped on it was cheaper to get a standard whopper meal, and went mental when I pointed it out.

In my local chinese it used to be €6.30 for chicken balls & curry sauce, but €6.40 got you the same thing with a massive bag of chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rubadub wrote: »
    Because people will pay it, you almost did. This comes up all the time in the consumer issues forum, some people think shops have some sort of legal obligation to sell things in bulk cheaper. Family size tins of beans/peas/curry sauce etc are quite often more expensive than the standard size.
    In KFC, you are able to buy a big bucket of chicken pieces (14 pieces I think)+ fries and drink and side for less than 30 euro.It comes down to what sells in volume.
    Obviously lots of people buy 3 piece packs and they are priced accordingly, taking a family out to dinner would be ridiculously expensive and hence the bucket pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Are you sure the girl didn't say around 13 euro as chicken is 1.75 - 2.00 per piece and the hot wings are around 3 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

the more you eat the more you save :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jahalpin wrote: »
    Are you sure the girl didn't say around 13 euro as chicken is 1.75 - 2.00 per piece and the hot wings are around 3 euro
    this is almost defo what happened.
    There is no way it was 30 euro

The reason they do this imo, is so you buy the meal. If they priced it accuratly, people would often just buy the smaller bits, this way people think they are gettign a good deal by getting the meal. In reality, they are just giving you free chips, it costs them little as chips are as cheap as, well, chips. But the long term affect is more meals sold = more cash

• Advertisement
Advertisement