Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashier in bookies, roof fell on me today

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

So yeah, I work in a bookmakers in Dublin as a cashier. Roof behind the counter has been caving in for quite a while, they've known about this and done nothing about it at all. I've pointed it out to them myself and they chose to do nothing.

Today the roof finally came down, got hit on the head and shoulder with ceiling tiles, fairly painful. Shoulder's very sore. They made me fill out an incident report form.

What are my rights here?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I suppose your rights are to have any medical expenses paid for by the company.

What would you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Is there a cleaners next door/nearby? Take them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I suppose your rights are to have any medical expenses paid for by the company.

What would you like?

This company is a well known bookmaker chain and are an absolute shower to work for. I don't know, I just fully expect to be ****ed over by them and I was just looking for some general advice on incidents such as this in the workplace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

I agree that they should cover any medical expenses caused by the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

craggles wrote: »
    ceiling tiles,

what kind of tiles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Olduvai

craggles wrote: »
    So yeah, I work in a bookmakers in Dublin as a cashier. Roof behind the counter has been caving in for quite a while, they've known about this and done nothing about it at all. I've pointed it out to them myself and they chose to do nothing.

Today the roof finally came down, got hit on the head and shoulder with ceiling tiles, fairly painful. Shoulder's very sore. They made me fill out an incident report form.

What are my rights here?

On the caving roof issue, I'd definately contact the Health & Safety Authority if the ceiling has not been fixed or you believe the roof/ceiling/building is unsafe. The HSA will come out and inspect the workplace. There may also be fire safety issues and you should contact the fire officer in the local fire station who can come and inspect the building. Before doing these, bring your concerns to the attention of your manager in writing and keep a copy of all correspondences.

It was a good thing that you filled in the form. I would look for a copy of this form. If you are out sick due to this incident for more than 3 days, the employer will have to report the incident to the HSA for starters.

If you are unable to work due due to a related injury, you will be entitled to receive Occupational Injuries Benefit from the Dept. of Social and Family Affairs. You can recoup the costs of treatment for your condition under OIB "GP fees, medication and supplies, travel to and from treatment (car mileage, taxies, bus, parking, tolls), A&E and public in-patient charges, and private treatment in so far as it is prescribed and is not or has not been made available under the Health Acts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MrDap

What bookies was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

MrDap wrote: »
    What bookies was it?

What are the odds you find out.

Advertisement