Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

redsunset wrote: »
    I go away to dublin for the day and there's loads of prospect happening here.

Did you see jean 's forecast after 9 news,i liked very much

Looks like snow pushing inland tomorrow night but not sure yet.had giant snow flakes over half of southern country

yeah i had hope for more definite predictions in respect of precipitation. rte seem to pay little interest in gfs.

what do the chart reader think? seems to be very hard to nail down. i can't see how it will snow here if showers aren't even of snow in donegal this evening. is there colder air to arrive or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Latest NAE again has my house buried

10022006_1818.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Very light drizzle here for now. Maybe if I go to bed early something will happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

gah you got me all excited for the weekend. i dont see something major happening at all though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Seen a few isolated snowflakes wisping around while out for a walk a couple of hours ago. Doesn't feel that cold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Snow line in the South of the country is 600mtrs with scattered snow up to an inch in places.

Tactical wrote: »
    Snow line in the South of the country is 600mtrs with scattered snow up to an inch in places.

600 mtres ?????????????????????

Ya got that one wrong.

950hpa forecast at -1 over my head

No, I mean 600mtrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Do you mean 600mtrs from the coast? It would surely be snowing at 600ft never mind 600mtrs?

Well all I know is that at 600mtrs altitude I was in the snow with up to an inch in places.

Temp hovered around 0deg C all day.

• Advertisement

Yep roughly 600 i understand that.

I seem to have been between posts sorry.

Have two windows open and typed wrong info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ummm Looking like our feature tomorrow wants to move on a south track, what we want is good developments to our west tomorrow, the deeper it is the further north it goes and heavier the snow.

Looking good for the south though, and southeast Mids especially.

The outlooks remains incredibly uncertain with regard to the positioning of these low pressure cells etc.

Over all outlook is staying bitterly cold but turning unsettled and stormy later in the period with periods of heavy snow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

can't say i'm surprised these features usually take a more southerly track in the end. i'm beginning to doubt the reliabilty of yr.no as it's now showing snow for me on friday, as well as tuesday and wednesday of next week. it also is showing an easterly wind by next friday.

it's just too good to be true and no doubt will have changed again tomorrow

redsunset wrote: »
    Yep roughly 600 i understand that.

I seem to have been between posts sorry.

Have two windows open and typed wrong info

No worries :) I should have made my first post a bit clearer and included better information.

Ummm Looking like our feature tomorrow wants to move on a south track, what we want is good developments to our west tomorrow, the deeper it is the further north it goes and heavier the snow.

Looking good for the south though, and southeast Mids especially.

The outlooks remains incredibly uncertain with regard to the positioning of these low pressure cells etc.

Over all outlook is staying bitterly cold but turning unsettled and stormy later in the period with periods of heavy snow at times.

whatever about those of us lower down, it's going to be nasty for people living on high ground in the south over the next four or five days

Dewpoints seem fine.

10022006_1818.gif

Ah there's probabaly no use commenting on these charts until at least 24 hr timeframe but good to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I haven't been following the thread as closely in last day, so i am just wondering, where is this cold pool of air coming from? whats is its source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

For Saturday's system we need to look to the Faroes this evening, as the small 992hPa baroclinic system there tonight will be the one that regenerates itself to our west early Saturday, crossing the country later in the day.

18_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

It's associated with a westward-moving upper shortwave trough, which will swing southwest and southwards around the main thermal trough over the next 36 hours, lying to our west Saturday morning. Increased PVA leads to moderate to strong upward motion as it moves eastwards, looking like giving precipitation to some of the country (difficult to pinpoint exactly where at this stage as tiny changes in the meantime will have a large effect come Saturday).

48_6.gif

With 850hPa conditions showing the same marginality of the last few days, there should be snow above around 200m at the leading edge, rising to around 350m as the warmer temperatures behind arrive (the precipitation should occur within the 90% 700hPa RH area below). So I don't see a massive snow event for low areas, but there is a decent chance of widespread snow covering on higher ground.

10022018_1818.gif

10022018_1818.gif

10022018_1818.gif

But with the high unpredictability of the setup at the moment, the finer details of this are likely to change slightly over the next 24hrs.

snowing here now and sticking.

Amazing. The most negative poster on Boards.IE Weather suddenly comes up with this. :pac: So there is snow in Mayo tonight. Didn't see that coming.

• Advertisement

Where's that?

EDIT: OK, it's Mayo! What altitude?

2320Z

DONEGAL AIRPORT - Light sleet +1/+1
    KERRY AIRPORT - Light snow +2/0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    2320Z

DONEGAL AIRPORT - Light sleet +1/+1
    KERRY AIRPORT - Light snow +2/0

There was actually a covering of snow in north county Dublin, just literally a few miles from me this morning, about half a cm be it but im told it looked nice!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Where's that?

EDIT: OK, it's Mayo! What altitude?

68 metres above sea level. it has stopped now but it's still cloudy all over.

Amazing. The most negative poster on Boards.IE Weather suddenly comes up with this. :pac: So there is snow in Mayo tonight. Didn't see that coming.

haha :D

it just shows my negativity paid off:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still clear skies here, had the odd shower of snow/sleet earlier but it doesnt look like we're getting anything worth talking about tonight.

Judging by those charts above it doesnt look good for the weekend either, Donegal seems to be the only county in the whole country that wont be getting any precipitation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Harps wrote: »
    Judging by those charts above it doesnt look good for the weekend either, Donegal seems to be the only county in the whole country that wont be getting any precipitation!

That makes a change:p

Looking at the charts I am unable to call it for the next few days. Every run throws out different scenarios. Su Campu summed up very well in his last post regarding developments north of us. Subtle changes over the next 24 hours will dictate the weekend weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Haha... just heard a huge gust of wind and opened the curtains... tis snowing very heavily here at sea level, big whiteys, and starting to stick on the cars even though everything is very wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sure its not just ur dandruff again nacho? :pac: :P

• Advertisement

BBC website interpretation of the NAE maps above:

Saturday 00hrs:

105586.jpg

06hrs Saturday:
    105587.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement