Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The main markers i use for potential snowfall are dewpoints, 850hpa temps and 850-1000hpa thicknesses.

No denying the marginality of the week but with 850-1000hpa thicknesses flirting towards 129-130, 850hpas around -5c and some -1c - 2c dewpoints. I would expect with decent precip wintry precip and snow to reach low levels rather regularly.

I agree, but surface dewpoints are much more difficult to forecast than 850s this far out, so whilst your method is bang on for the very short term, in my opinion it's better to look at upper from 24hrs out

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

I find it hard to understand the negativity in here with charts like this: just 2 and 3 days away respectively.

During any other winter we'd be ramping up!
    how good are the charts?, could you please explain more for beginners ? :D

I find it hard to understand the negativity in here with charts like this: just 2 and 3 days away respectively.

During any other winter we'd be ramping up!

But those charts show lowest 500-1000 dams of around 532dm over Ireland....pretty marginal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    But those charts show lowest 500-1000 dams of around 532dm over Ireland....pretty marginal in my opinion.

Must of read some incorrect charts methinks.

At 48 hours thicknesses at 500-1000 dams are sub 528 across the country and dropping fast as the northeasterlies drags in.

10021718_1518.gif

While at 72 hours Ireland is in a bitter flow with sub 522 dam right across the country.

10021818_1518.gif

Must of read some incorrect charts methinks.

At 48 hours thicknesses at 500-1000 dams are sub 528 across the country and dropping fast as the northeasterlies drags in.

While at 72 hours Ireland is in a bitter flow with sub 522 dam right across the country.

Hmmm, I was only calculating them from your previous charts, but ok maybe I over estimated them. :o I still say it's marginal though! :P

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

What's the London area looking like in all of this? I'm due to fly into Heathrow at about 1pm on Thursday and back to Dublin at 5pm Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I'd tend to agree very much with Su Campu on this one. We have, during this week, a conversion from an RPM airflow to a PM airflow, followed possibly by an RPM airflow once again. This is exactly what was indicated when I posted the outlook earlier yesterday & I can see no major changes since then. There is still a low risk of a Northeasterly airflow towards Day 5 - Day 7 & this is indicated on tonight's ECMWF 12Z Evolution.

Without posting all of the charts, I've reviewed the 12Z ECMWF Guidance & in brief summary, there appears to be a period of quite sustained precipitation over Eastern areas within the next 72 Hours. However, 850mb temperatures do not support this as being snowfall, only at much higher elevations.

The much colder Polar Maritime airflow only really kicks in after the the Eastward movement of the original Polar Trough - that will mainfest itself in the form of a shallow low.

Without a doubt there will be snow at times over high ground in the coming week, but there is no signal for widespread lowland snowfall on any occasion. There will be some surprises, but generally conditions are modelled as becoming much drier by the time that somewhat deeper cold kicks in.

In addition, this is modified cold air. At this time of the year, if we are after sustained lying snow, nothing less than 850mb temperatures of -8 from a due Northerly/Northeasterly/Easterly direction will suffice, with the exception of a very sharp direct Polar Maritime trending Polar Northwesterly airflow.

It will be a wintry week ahead, with rain, sleet and snow for many at times. At the moment I would be more concerned about the risk from ice formation on surfaces after rain/sleet/snow. Frosts could also become increasingly severe from midweek onwards.

If we can shift the largescale pattern some 300 - 500 miles Southwards, then I might get quite excited at the prospects.

Gerry Murphy's forecast at 9.30PM summed up the overall pattern very well.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

some nice flakes here I am expecting some accumulation:D
    Update: nahh its too wet ):

Same here, East Donegal, 200 ft. asl.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

heavy hail here folllowed by 3-4 mins of sleet/hail. 450-500ftASL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

K-9 wrote: »
    Same here, East Donegal, 200 ft. asl.

well that looks really heavy there... about 0c here so if it comes maybe itll guve us a covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    heavy hail here folllowed by 3-4 mins of sleet/hail. 450-500ftASL

What's all this I hear about hail, sleet and snow :eek:

A fella disappears for a few weeks and imagine his excitement when he see's this thread :D

Fingers crossed and here's hoping :)

some -8 uppers (850hpa) over ireland on thursday.

10021818_1518.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

perhaps there won't be widespread snowfall at lower levels, but i suspect there will be snow accumulating in parts of the north from wednesday night onwards before the showers die out later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

some -8 uppers (850hpa) over ireland on thursday.

Wolfe, your sig really makes it difficultto take your forecast seriously!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Freezing cats and dogs out there again, since december its nearly been frost every night bar one week :D

perhaps there won't be widespread snowfall at lower levels, but i suspect there will be snow accumulating in parts of the north from wednesday night onwards before the showers die out later in the week.

well on the hill behind me theres a couple of cm but if we had another couple of showers last night id say we woulve got that too... mt cranium says snow is coming tonight so we are bound to get something out of that.. so there is a trough system coming tonight how much could we expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Woke this morning to a couple of CM's lying. Came from nowhere like.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Woke this morning to a couple of CM's lying. Came from nowhere like.

hmmm i wonder how so many people away downn south are getting snow..:rolleyes:

3 impressive anvils over north Limerick.

if that thing dosnt stop twisting no one will get snow but if it does everyone will likely get loads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

-0.8/-1.7
    foggy but dry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

owenc wrote: »
    if that thing dosnt stop twisting no one will get snow but if it does everyone will likely get loads..

what thing? sometimes i wonder if we share the same planet never mind island.

what thing? sometimes i wonder if we share the same planet never mind island.

im not here to take english lessons..

Heavy snow shower about 20 mins ago. Was starting to lodge but the shower was shortlived. It has settled on higher ground around me.

I am 450ft asl

Just drove to town, snowline is about 400ft here.

Heavy snow shower about 20 mins ago. Was starting to lodge but the shower was shortlived. It has settled on higher ground around me.

I am 450ft asl

showers further north which have been enlarging all morning and are still enlarging... wouldve gave a good covering id say but since the sun is out the frost is melted already even though its -1.5c! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I am 450ft asl

any update on the charts wolfe? looking good that snow is falling already even if it is on higher ground. am i right in saying that the colder air has yet to arrive down south yet?

any update on the charts wolfe? looking good that snow is falling already even if it is on higher ground. am i right in saying that the colder air has yet to arrive down south yet?

Hi Munster

The colder air does not sweep down over us until tomorrow morning or early afternoon. However, that does not mean there will not be further wintry precipiation throughout the country. What it means is that the snowline will continue to drop to lower levels. At my location the snow is settling above 500-600ft. Come Wed night/Thursday morn lower levels will be at risk of seeing snow. This has been made more likely by the fact that the latest GFS has upgraded matters, by showing a more direct feed of cold air from arctic regions.

Again, it looks as if the western half of the country will bear the brunt of precip, along with the north ulster coast.

h850t850eu.png

Lads,

The below link (TAKES 30-60 SECS TO LOAD)
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760
    tracks the low system excellently over the past 24 hrs. It is a feisty little bugger.

This shows the past 2 hours
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

light dusting of snow here this morning in north longford. light prolonged shower early this morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement