Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

why does the dp in that stupid eglinton station always rise above 0c once the temp hits 2c but everywhere else stays negative.. i think there dp is broken... because i usually get snow with the positive dp... and so do they like last night they had a dp of 2c and they had snow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    why does the dp in that stupid eglinton station always rise above 0c once the temp hits 2c but everywhere else stays negative.. i think there dp is broken... because i usually get snow with the positive dp... and so do they like last night they had a dp of 2c and they had snow..

It can snow with a positive dp, although this is more likely to happen in high intensity preciptation events. Equally, it can rain with a negative dp.

It can snow with a positive dp, although this is more likely to happen in high intensity preciptation events. Equally, it can rain with a negative dp.

yes but why does that station always show a positive dp after goign above 1c!

yes but why does that station always show a positive dp after goign above 1c!

That, I cannot answer, except to say that it is just down to the conditions at the moment. The air is moist and chilly, but this is not an true Arctic airstream over Ireland at the moment; it is a bog standard Polar Maritime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking back over the last page or two I think I must live in a different country, where its sunny and quite pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

if only this was in a reliable time frame !h850t850eu.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Beefy showers showing up off west coast

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

WolfeIRE wrote: »

yes but that so called system looks empty i thought it was going to be a band of snow coming along with it giving us a few inches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Meh! they're too far north. The promised hail and thunder had better arrive here at some stage today or there'll be trouble:mad: There's only so much monotony I can take;)

The below chart shows the predicted precipitation for the island up to 2pm. It is measured in mm's

I would expect the South West to see some showers later this afternoon and evening. These will turn progressivly more wintry in nature as the day goes on and will give a covering of snow on high ground in Kerry and West Limerick. Showers of hail/sleet can be expected at lower levels. The showers will be locally heavy. Showers will be more isolated further up the west coast bu there will be the odd heavy shower.
    3hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement

The below chart shows the predicted precipitation for the island up to 2pm. It is measured in mm's

I would expect the South West to see some showers later this afternoon and evening. These will turn progressivly more wintry in nature as the day goes on and will give a covering of snow on high ground in Kerry and West Limerick. Showers of hail/sleet can be expected at lower levels. The showers will be locally heavy. Showers will be more isolated further up the west coast bu there will be the odd heavy shower.
    3hr-rain.gif

what do you expect out of tonight?

I think Met Eireann have called it fairly well in their latest update, issued in last few mins. Don;t forget Owen that the change in wind direction from NW to W to SW will not favour your part of the island for heavy precip. For the sake of your sanity I would take a break from boards for 24 hours.

Cold again tonight. Cloudy in parts of the west and southwest, with showers or longer spells of rain - turning heavy in places, and giving falls of snow on mountains (snowfall very unlikely at lower levels but not impossible). Dry over the rest of the country, apart perhaps from a few coastal wintry showers. Widespread frost, some fog patches. Lows + 1 to - 3 C generally, but + 1 to + 4 C in cloudier parts of the west and southwest and along some exposed coasts (mainly in the south and east).

I think Met Eireann have called it fairly well in their latest update, issued in last few mins. Don;t forget Owen that the change in wind direction from NW to W to SW will not favour your part of the island for heavy precip. For the sake of your sanity I would take a break from boards for 24 hours.

Cold again tonight. Cloudy in parts of the west and southwest, with showers or longer spells of rain - turning heavy in places, and giving falls of snow on mountains (snowfall very unlikely at lower levels but not impossible). Dry over the rest of the country, apart perhaps from a few coastal wintry showers. Widespread frost, some fog patches. Lows + 1 to - 3 C generally, but + 1 to + 4 C in cloudier parts of the west and southwest and along some exposed coasts (mainly in the south and east).

what happened to all the snow that was to come???

Clouded up a good deal here but nothing threatening looking as yet. I am with Fionagus on this, only so much of this abyss one can take. I can't remember the last time we actually had some proper weather. :confused:

Any Snow was always most likely going to affect the western half of the country. We have been saying this for the last week. You should look at the charts more closely as I think they are pretty clear.

Any Snow was always most likely going to affect the western half of the country. We have been saying this for the last week. You should look at the charts more closely as I think they are pretty clear.

yes bit the nw charts showed loads of lying snow up here and none down there

what happened to all the snow that was to come???

"all the snow that was to come" :confused:. There was no huge amount of snow promised in the first place Owenc. How many times must this be repeated? As I, Wolfie, BB, Su Campo and others have been saying over the last week, if you are expecting something special to happen under the current set up, then you will be very sadly disappointed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This snow watching is getting very boring and dragged out at this stage im afraid, last 2 months been looking at charts and not much came, If it comes it comes and if it doesnt then oh well....

"all the snow that was to come" :confused:. There was no huge amount of snow promised in the first place Owenc. How many times must this be repeated? As I, Wolfie, BB, Su Campo and others have been saying over the last week, if you are expecting something special to happen under the current set up, then you will be very sadly disappointed. :(

just because its 6c everywhere dosnt mean we are mild as its 2c here and that is suitable for snow not rain!!!

You're wasting your breath I fear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

just because its 6c everywhere dosnt mean we are mild as its 2c here and that is suitable for snow not rain!!!

smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

Fionagus wrote: »
    You're wasting your breath I fear :rolleyes:

they always downgrade the whole place to their area...

smiley-bangheadonwall.gif
    +1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if only it were so simple. anyway, it seems clear you should be getting snow. i bet wolfIre and paddy1 have robbed the snow from you. As i distinctly remember them saying there would a be a foot of snow where you are. also it was mentioned on many met eireann broadcasts that coleraine would have significant falls of snow while the rest of us got a wintry mix. if i was you i'd be bucking and looking for answers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

DE you are here.....> between%20a%20rock%20and%20a%20hard%20place%202.jpg

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on nedbor

Munster and south connaught in line for heaviest precipitation this evening and tonight. There could be some very heavy falls of snow on hills/mountains tonight. Some low level locations will also see a dumping, particularly, in Kerry, Clare, West Cork and Limerick. I must admit the track of this low system from the north down our west coast and then stalling is a new one for me. The weather may be boring for most but I am curious to see how this system will interact with marginal upper temps.

It WILL snow in parts of Munster and south Connaught this evening and tonight.

It most certainly will NOT snow in Coleraine tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on nedbor

Munster and south connaught in line for heaviest precipitation this evening and tonight. There could be some very heavy falls of snow on hills/mountains tonight. Some low level locations will also see a dumping, particularly, in Kerry, Clare, West Cork and Limerick. I must admit the track of this low system from the north down our west coast and then stalling is a new one for me. The weather may be boring for most but I am curious to see how this system will interact with marginal upper temps.

It WILL snow in parts of Munster and south Connaught this evening and tonight.

It most certainly will NOT snow in Coleraine tonight.

Will it snow in Eglinton though ????????????? :p

.if i was you i'd be bucking and looking for answers...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here are the METARs for Derry Eglington for the past 6 hours, with Temp/Dewpoint in bold....and rising all the time! :eek: (;))

EGAE 161250Z 19003KT 9999 FEW005 BKN006 08/07 Q0988
    EGAE 161220Z 19005KT 9999 FEW005 BKN006 06/06 Q0988
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 161150Z 21004KT 9999 SCT005 BKN008 05/05 Q0989[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 161120Z 23006KT 9999 SCT005 BKN010 BKN028 05/04 Q0989[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 161050Z 23007KT 9999 8000W SCT003 SCT028 04/03 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 161020Z 23005KT 9999 8000W SCT003 SCT028 03/02 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160950Z 25004KT 9999 FEW007 SCT028 02/01 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160920Z 24005KT 9999 FEW028 01/00 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160850Z 24002KT 9999 FEW020 00/M00 Q0989[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160820Z 24005KT 9999 FEW020 00/M00 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160750Z 24006KT 9999 FEW020 M00/M01 Q0988[/FONT]
    [FONT=Monospace,Courier]EGAE 160720Z 24005KT 9999 FEW020 00/M00 Q0988 2679//[/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Even by your own high standards that's a good one :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement