Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spare barrel - to apply or not

Options
  • 13-02-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

history
    i have a rifle with two barrels both same calibre under the old system i had to have a permit for both, and pay the 38e yearly, even do one permit stated 'spare barrel'.

Under the change over from the old to the new, i have been sent the standard extension letters, so the system believe these are two firearms.

my first mistake, i completed and lodged an FCA1 form and noted specifically it was a spare barrel type application.
    my application has been process and approved, but for a firearm and the system now wants 80e.

my delimma -
    if i did not complete the FCA1 form for the spare barrel, the system would have though i was in possession of an unlicenced firearm after March 2010.
    i applied under the FCA1 for a spare barrel but i now believe i should not have done this...
    should i now apply under the FCA2 form to cancel the newly granted permit for a spare barrel - stating it is not required? (page 39 of commissioners guidelines)
    (i will then as such have walked through the system, for old to new and annul the new....)
    confused, aaaahhh, i am

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It should be easy enough to sort. Go to your local station and speak to your FO. Fill out an FCA2 and cancel the 2nd license for the spare barrel. Once you have the license for the "original" barrel and rifle you cannot be accused of having an unlicensed firearm as if you were stopped and had a license for the rifle and produced the second barrel, as you said yourself, once it is off the same caliber you need not have a license.

Go to your station and explain to your FO what you are doing and why. I would say he will say the same thing as i've just said (assuming he knows his stuff). You know yourself that you don't need the second license so why pay for it.

Let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

I have a sako quad rifle with a .22lr barrel. i also purchased a .22 wmr barrel for the rifle. under the old system i had a cert for the rifle and a second cert for the 'spare barrel'. When it came to re applying under the new system i applied for a cert for the rifle and listed the spare barrel on the application form as according to the Commissioners guidelines the spare barrel is covered by the rifle cert so long as its the same caliber. FO at the local station agreed and processed my application. i got grant letter in the post and there was no mention of the spare barrel on the letter. i rang local station and spoke to the supers clerk. he told me not to bring grant letter to post office and he would get back to me. after a month i rang back and i was told that the it section in garda hq can not figure out how to include details of spare barrel on the new licence. he told me basically that the gardai are stumped as to how to sort out the problem. in the meantime i am left with an unlicenced firearm:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Are .22LR and .22 WMR the same calibre though ? That would be like saying .22LR and .220 Swift are the same just becuse both have ".22" in their name :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

Are .22LR and .22 WMR the same calibre though ? That would be like saying .22LR and .220 Swift are the same just becuse both have ".22" in their name :eek:

thats a very valid point bunny, but my point is that the fo accecpted that the .22wmr barrel was the same caliber as the .22lr. the application was processed with the barrel listed as .22, as was the rifle, therefore it should be covered by the licence for the rifle. The Gardai agreed with that, but they are unable to add the details of the barrel to the new format licence. all they can suggest is that i get the serial number on the spare barrel changed to match the rifle.

The "system" is a joke.

The switch barrel concept should be one the DOJ embraces as all you can make at any one time is one rifle even though you could have more barrels.

I think it is a brilliant system and would love to buy a rifle capable of switching barrels however the only reason I won't is they want a licence for every barrel at €80 each :rolleyes:

Previously, on the old system a garda could write the serial number of the spare barrel on the licence and stamp it and you were sorted if he wanted to. The new licence can't be written on and the software is so advanced they can't amend what/how it prints either despite it probably costing the taxpayers a fortune :rolleyes:

I reckon you were lucky previously but the new system is gonna catch you for €80 for the extra barrel as under the law any part of a firearm, in this case a barrel, is considered a firearm in it's own right,or some such crap ?

This was meant to be sorted in the latest shake-up but as with everything else it was not and the system is still as useless as it ever was :rolleyes:

In the army if it has a serial number it exists if it doesn't it doesn't :)

The Quad as far as I can remeber has a serial number on each barrel and on the action. Are these serial numbers all the same on your items ?

A friend had a quad and the number on the barrel didn't match the action and I can't remember which number was on his licence :)

Has the FPU made a decision on the quad and extra barrels ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wasn't it part of the commissioner's guidelines that a spare barrel of the same calibre wouldn't require a separate licence, but would be covered by the original licence for the firearm?

Wasn't it part of the commissioner's guidelines that a spare barrel of the same calibre wouldn't require a separate licence, but would be covered by the original licence for the firearm?

Yes, but is .22LR and .22 WMR the "same" calibre as I asked above in post #4 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes, but is .22LR and .22 WMR the "same" calibre as I asked above in post #4 :p

In my opinion, no. In the view of the guards and how they distinguish (or don't) between the two on licences, I've no idea. Reckon a call to the FPU is in order. In my view, it'd be if you had multiple .308 Win barrels for instance.

In my opinion, no.

I agree :D But our opinion doesn't count :)
    In the view of the guards and how they distinguish (or don't) between the two on licences, I've no idea.

Neither do most of them :rolleyes: That's why the O/P is in the current situation :(
    Reckon a call to the FPU is in order.

I kinda suggested that at the end of post #6 .......... please keep up :P
    In my view, it'd be if you had multiple .308 Win barrels for instance.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

i have three serial numbers - on the action of the quad, barrel one and barrel two

rightly or wrongly i put the serial number of the action on the granted 0.22lr licence.
    and the number of barrel two on the spare barrel application.

this afternoon, i wrote a three page letter to my FO and cc same to the Super, so hopefully things going well i should get sorted and set down a marker to help other spare barrrel owners (quads or otherwise)

i'll post the outcome for all to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I heard of someone getting a quad with both .22 barrels on the same cert, pretty sure it was on this forum.

Advertisement