Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo is doing it wrong.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Shadow78 wrote: »
    T_Runner with an increase in the economy would mean more jobs and the more jobs would mean more people. stats showing a poor increase in population would be an indicator that there is something amiss in sligo. be it the economy in sligo hasnt grown to the same extent as elsewhere or is it a case that people think sligo is not a nice place to live in

Please read the thread. There are 13,500 jobs in Sligo town. 5,500 are filled by people within the borough the rest are filled by people within the cachment eg from newly built up suburbs like Strandhill.

The only town with more people employed than Sligo is Dundalk with barely more. There was not a jobs issue through the boom and there is no population issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Please read the thread. There are 13,500 jobs in Sligo town. 5,500 are filled by people within the borough the rest are filled by people within the cachment eg from newly built up suburbs like Strandhill.
    Which proves diddly squat. For all we know Sligo had 13,500 in 1979 so unless you can show the rate of change in jobs for sligo compared to other towns stop harping on about them.

Its like having a discussions on problems gowing apples and someone coming along and saying "look at all these oranges they prove your ideas on apples are wrong"

dardevle wrote: »
    this seems to be a game of some sort to you..... bit of a competitive spirit in all areas of life for you then, and here was me thinking i was taking part in a discussion, all the while you were arguing.

What is that supposed to mean? Look whos getting personal now.

Which proves diddly squat. For all we know Sligo had 13,500 in 1979 so unless you can show the rate of change in jobs for sligo compared to other towns stop harping on about them.

Its like having a discussions on problems gowing apples and someone coming along and saying "look at all these oranges they prove your ideas on apples are wrong"

I dont have to demonstarte the rate of change you do.

If you are making a claim that the amount of jobs has fallen in Sligo compared to other towns in the last number of years then PROVE it.
    I make no such claim.

It does looks extremely unlikely that this is the case given the figures above.

There was not a jobs issue through the boom and there is no population issue.
    So your just going to make statements with no proof behind them to disprove other peoples theories and when questioned on it turn it around and demand that they prove you wrong when you cant even put any info on why your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

T runner wrote: »
    What is that supposed to mean? Look whos getting personal now.

the reference was to your user name- runner-race- competition:cool:

as for making it personal, you did that from the get go, with the confrontational tone of your posting for the last 7 pages..you began with a put down of the op and have continued in trying to win your argument in this discussion, by flip flopping and backtracking when it suited your needs...... who new somebody could take a supposed positive line on a subject and beat it to death with negativity!!

this discussion, began by someone drawing a not improbable correlation between the lack of growth of population, to the poor performance of the town over the past few years...you don't (or refuse) to see this, so you set about trying to shout down any and all contributors, who differ in opinion to you, so you can win your argument, and guess what-even if you had a positive spin on things in the beginning(which i haves doubts about at this point) you have long since lost it with the bully boy tactics.
    you have now reduced it to a push me- shove you schoolyard dance(you prove it--no you prove it)... and all the while the fact remains that as an indicator of past performance, the lack of population growth shows that Sligo has being doing something wrong for many years, this is my opinion as a resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

T runner wrote: »

If you are making a claim that the amount of jobs has fallen in Sligo compared to other towns in the last number of years then PROVE it.
    I make no such claim.

It does looks extremely unlikely that this is the case given the figures above.

(A) Your argument makes no reference to the quality of jobs either. If job levels were sustained as per national average (as per your argument) but yet incomes are falling... then that means that the wage per job is falling behind national averages (BMW region less than 70% of national average). The dog in the street knows that Sligo has lost alot of quality jobs/manufacturing industry in recent years, and we are left with alot of minimum wage type jobs in hotel/retail/bar/fast food sectors.

(B) There is no need to be so rude with people.

So your just going to make statements with no proof behind them to disprove other peoples theories and when questioned on it turn it around and demand that they prove you wrong when you cant even put any info on why your right.

Stop misrepresenting me. I have given proof that the CoC didnt have population increase as an aim. I have quoted their mission statement from their website.
    Their mission statement cited growth in business in the town. Read the thread.

Someone claimed that the low population in Sligo town correlated to a low economic actvity. I supplied a referenced government report which stated that Sligo has more people working in it than any other town in Ireland bar Dundalk (more than drogheda and Bray each with populations in the 35,000 mark).
    Sligo has more working in it per capita than any towm bar Castlebar.
    Almost 9000 of Sligos workers come in from outside the town which explains the population issue: Sligo has a large cachment area.

Do you support the theory in the OP that CoCs aim was population increase in Sligo borough and that the cencsus figures from 2006 proves it?

Or are you putting forward a different argument? If so what is it and do you have any evidence to back it up?

Youre doing a lot of waffling there to be honest. Put your cards on the table

Their mission statement cited growth in business in the town
    if you increase business you get more jobs
    if you have more jobs you need more people
    if you have more people your poulation goes up
    Sligo has performed badly on its population growth compared to other towns
    So following the sequence back and low and behold it reflects poorly on Sligos CoC

dardevle wrote: »
    this discussion, began by someone drawing a not improbable correlation between the lack of growth of population, to the poor performance of the town over the past few years

That is completely false.This is actually the quote from the First page of the thread from the person who started it which shows he/she's take on your population/performance correlation:

For me population growth is not the be all and end all, in fact I can probably do without it at all. My point is the various bodies who have the stated aim of "helping Sligo grow" have failed miserably in their aims ,and they would have been better off at least in the case of the CoC of doing nothing at all for the last 30 years.

You are now even misrepresenting the Original poster. (hands over your ears, humming?). The original point was that the CoC failed by their own stated aims. Ofcourse the CoCs mission statement does not cite population growth as an aim and nowhere has this been cited as an aim.

you don't (or refuse) to see this,

You seem to be the one refusing to see things. It is quite clear you dont even understand that the Original posters argument was.
    so you set about trying to shout down any and all contributors, who differ in opinion to you,

Giving substantiated evidence to back my argument does not constitute shouting down.
    you have now reduced it to a push me- shove you schoolyard dance(you prove it--no you prove it)

I would have said that having evidence to back up your argument would be a good thing. Ofcourse if you have no evidence you can always come out with something like the above.....

• Advertisement

if you increase business you get more jobs
    if you have more jobs you need more people
    if you have more people your poulation goes up
    Sligo has performed badly on its population growth compared to other towns
    So following the sequence back and low and behold it reflects poorly on Sligos CoC

Once again the majority of workers who work in Sligo town do not live in Sligo town. They live in suburbs like Strandhill in the cachment area of Sligo town.
    The population of the Sligo-Strandhill Sligo-Drumcliff areas alone is 32,000. This would not count Ballisodare, Cooloney and the southern cachment.
    CoC have NOT cited population growth as an aim.
    I have to repeat this because you are not addressing it:

Sligo is the second largest employer of any town (more than Drogheda, Bray, Tralee etc) The largest employer Dundalk has only 100 more people employed in the town even though 15,000 people more live there. Sligo out performs almost every town in Ireland here.

Sligo has problems. But to address them we must accurately identify them.
    I dont think the OP accurately identified a problem. The OP may not like the CoC. I dont like them either: In France CoCs actually provide social facilities, sports facilities and more. Here they just take and take more and then cover their arses.

But firing wild shots at them based on some misunderstood aim and some population stats that doesnt even refer to areas where the majority of Sligo workers actually live, is just spreading negativity. There is more than enough of that around, unfortunately and it doesnt solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

For the moment this thread has completely run it's course. It seems to have become a battle between a few of you about who's arguing what point and that you must prove it, that's not what this thread was about.

I'm temporarily locking it so the current issues can blow over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement