If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy new home surround system

Options
  • 13-02-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,

I've been looking to buy a new surround system for the past couple of months having been impressed with a friends setup and disappointed with my own tv at higher sound. Looking for some recommendations and costings.

Current setup:
    720p 37" Philips LCD - also in need of upgrade, but not now
    Sony Blu-Ray player
    Sky HD

I saw an Onkyo TX-SR577 7.1 Home Theatre Receiver with Jamo A402 HSC5 Design Speakerset for circa €500 before Christmas which I thought would fit my needs. Living room size is 6.5m * 4.5m.

Any recommendations? Also, in terms of wiring the rear speakers, are speaker cables the only solution and how visible would these typically be in getting to the back of a room?

Thanks,
    Rbrt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Robert.

There are lots of options here and budget is always the deciding factor.

The most popular amps at the moment are the Onkyo and the Denon's.

The 507, 577, 1610 and 1910 are our biggest sellers at the moment.

There are loads of options on speakers.

If you can let me know a rough budget, I'll send you a few options.

Cheers

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 rbrt

Budget would be €300-€500 for the setup, thanks for the assistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Rbrt.

I would suggest that the best system you could go for, within the upper end of your budget would be the Onkyo 507 and the Onkyo SKSHT528 speaker package.

This is a high definition audio receiver and a great little speaker package that work really well together.

The speaker package comes with speaker cable and you will need to budget for a subwoofer cable (starting at £9.99) and a couple of HDMI cables (starting at £14.99).

You can go for the likes of the Jamo A102 pack, but it will blow the budget.

Take a look at these and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.