Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor is getting 'No Signal' after I tried to change Screen Resolution

• 13-02-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

OK, so basically the situation is, I was trying to connect a second monitor (a Samsung TV) to my computer (Packard Bell). I connected it and changed the TV settings to PC. Then I thought I was supposed to change the screen resolution to the maximum, so I did. The screen then went black and I couldn't do anything. I turned off the computer and turned it back on again. If I start it in 'safe mode', it works, but if I start it normally, it goes black and again I can't do anything.

I tried changing the screen resolution in safe mode, but that seemed to make no difference.
    Any ideas what's wrong?
    Thanks

Second problem if that can be solved. Before all that, I had connected the second monitor. What I wanted, was to have two monitors, with the second monitor just being an extension of the first one. However, what I got, was the screen just being identical on both monitors. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Celtickiller

get it into safe mode on startup, press F8 normally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Useful post above me is useful!

Which OS are you using?
    On XP, when you press F8 at startup there should be an "enable VGA mode" which will boot into windows at the lowest possible res. Think the option is there with Vista/Win7 as well, but it's called low resolution video mode.

Once you've managed to boot into that, you should be able to select the correct resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

safe mode wasn't making a difference. I clicked f8 and went into the low resolution mode, that worked and I was able to change the resolution while in that mode. Thanks

Still struggling with the second part, any idea how to make the second monitor an extension to the first monitor, not just an identical screen. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

JBR wrote: »
    Still struggling with the second part, any idea how to make the second monitor an extension to the first monitor, not just an identical screen. Thanks

You could try a useful device like the TRITON device or similar.
    Info here: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=14&p=TRI-UV50&d=Tritton-TRIUV50-SEE2-Xpress-USB-2.0-to-VGA-Video-Adapter-%28TRIUV50%29&c=USB%20Supplies&sku=836121330395
    14730k.gif

I have one myself for one of my systems.
    The other easy way to solve your problem is to install another graphics card on any available appropriate slot.

Advertisement