Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - party wall with neighbour

Options
  • 13-02-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

live in a terraced house with a return at the rere. Building work has begun nest door which involves demolishing the neighbour's side of the party wall with my return, without any consultation with me in advance.

While I am unhappy about the nature and design of the extension, I am advised that it is within planning exemption limits etc. and probably I (reluctantly) have no option but to accept it. But I am very surprised that an immediate neighbour can demolish his side of a party wall with my property without any consultation.

Grateful for any advice on whether such demolition work on the other side of the party wall can be carried out without consulation.

With many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Minardi wrote: »
    live in a terraced house with a return at the rere. Building work has begun nest door which involves demolishing the neighbour's side of the party wall with my return, without any consultation with me in advance.

While I am unhappy about the nature and design of the extension, I am advised that it is within planning exemption limits etc. and probably I (reluctantly) have no option but to accept it. But I am very surprised that an immediate neighbour can demolish his side of a party wall with my property without any consultation.

Grateful for any advice on whether such demolition work on the other side of the party wall can be carried out without consulation.

With many thanks,

Dunno if the law has changed but 10 years ago when I was building an extension, I found that I couldn't touch the party wall without my neighbours consent. I could leave it be and build a new wall inside it if I liked but any use/alteration of the party wall required my neighbours consent (which I happily got - on both sides).

I'm not sure what you mean by "their side" of the party wall. In the terraced situation the party wall is the single wall between the two houses (however constructed) and the only way I can imagine them demolishing 'their side' is them somehow slicing the party wall down the middle (if it was made two bricks thick - for strength - then they'd be removing one layer of brick, on "their side" of the party wall). Such activity would certainly be prohibited, the very structural integrity of the wall being interfered with - leading to risk of cracking, shifting at worst, collapse.

Phone the planning office of your local town council and get advice/request interjection. Aside from that, it'd do to familiarise yourself with permitted development rules so as to keep an eye on the development generally as it evolves: if it extends beyond the permitted area, reduces the garden below max limits, places windows overlooking etc. you'd best tackle it then - again with the aid of the planning office.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to separate planning permission from your rights. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Planning/MakingaPlanningApplication/Houseextensionexemptions/

Assuming the house is over 20 years old, you are entitled to the support of your neighbours house.

If as you describe, they are taking away part of the party wall, that probably isn't on. However, if they are merely removing the adjacent walls, then thats OK, provided support is maintained.

Make sure the extension drains into their property.

You would be well advised to take dated photos of all the adjacent areas. Any concerns, talk to a solicitor.

Advertisement