Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem ?

• 13-02-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Maybe someone can offer some help ?

The overflow from the central heating storage tank in the loft has started constantly running. I checked the ballcock and although it seemed fine to be on the safe side I replaced it with a new one but it is still overflowing :(

Basically water comes from the well to the ballcock and fills the tank. Tank then supplies water to the central heating system, pipe going down with a stopcock in the hotpress. Then there is the pipe going back up for the vent, this flows back into the storage tank. Then there is the overflow.

I can't workout how water is pushing itself upwards or how it doesn't run out :confused:

Please help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 meandliam

hi the coil is gone in your hot water cylinder. you need to replace the cylinder.
    Code Red wrote: »
    Maybe someone can offer some help ?

The overflow from the central heating storage tank in the loft has started constantly running. I checked the ballcock and although it seemed fine to be on the safe side I replaced it with a new one but it is still overflowing :(

Basically water comes from the well to the ballcock and fills the tank. Tank then supplies water to the central heating system, pipe going down with a stopcock in the hotpress. Then there is the pipe going back up for the vent, this flows back into the storage tank. Then there is the overflow.

I can't workout how water is pushing itself upwards or how it doesn't run out :confused:

Please help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Code Red

Thanks for the quick reply.

That sounds like it would make sense. Would this mean the pressure from the main storage tank is pushing through the broken coil and back up to the central heating storage tank ?

Is there anyway to check the coil before changing the cylinder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

try turning off the cold feed to the hot water cylinder and check if overflow stops.

Thanks, I will try that in the morning. :)

Turned off the supply to the cylinder and it does stop the overflow, so looks like I need to go shopping for a new cylinder :rolleyes:

I guess it's the only place the two systems can join, never thought of it :o

Thanks for your help guys. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement