Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek premier criticizes EU stand on Greece's economic crisis

Options
  • 13-02-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly over the top headline granted but this statement seemed a little silly to me.
    "But above all there has been a big effort inside the EU to hide their responsibilities behind Greece. The responsibilities of the EU, the EU Commission, the Eurostat to be on alert and warn the previous Greek government that they were heading towards the wrong way," Papandreou said.

Comes across as well why didn't you protect us from ourselves years ago since we were posioning ourselves.

I imagine the answer is that they didn't want to get involved in their business.

Anyway it seems very similar to some of the excuses you read here or from the government. Its all the financial crisis, we did everything right line and the general sense that we are somehow not responsible for our own actions and that sure they practically threw the mortgage at me to buy the house attitude when people start to struggle to make payments on loans they have taken out.

It makes me think we are correctly being throw in with the PIIGS and we need serious reform and a hard look at our outlook to turn things around. I'm not saying other countries aren't in the same boat but not listed as PIIGS nations either btw.

edit --
    Apologies forgot to reference quote above:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-02/13/c_13174151.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yeah I read that recently, I honestly cant believe he stood up and said that. It basically makes Greece look like a country that cant manage itself (not like were much better), and is not only happy to admit it, but asks why the EU didnt wipe its arse. I would actually feel ashamed if any Irish politician stood up and said something like that, I would never vote for him or his party again full stop.

The Greek attitude bodes ill for the EU in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I knew that Italy had fiddled the figures to join the Eurozone, as did Greece apparently. I wonder how many other countries were involved in creative accounting to jump on the Euro bandwagon, and how much the crisis is worse than it should be as a result.

Advertisement