Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding puppies...help!

Options
  • 13-02-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi i was just wondering is it ok to give puppies cow milk when they are just 3 weeks old....i know we should enquire to the vet about this but I was going to try it tonight and i'm really not sure, the mother doesn't seem to be feeding them we think it is because their claws are hurting her, any advice would be apprciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

with such young pups I'd call the emergency vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Puppies don't tolerate cows milk too well... Gives them... How can I put this delicately... It gives them a 'dodgy tummy'...

Your vet or pet shop will have replacement milk formula... But perhaps Mum could need a vets visit.... My friend's lactating bitch was having similar difficulties... Turned out she had mastitis....

Poor Mummy dog..... Babies are so demanding!...

Hope it works out well....

Darth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would get the mother/pups to the vets, see if they can find out why the pups aren't feeding from her, they really need her milk best. Cows milk probably won't go too well, might give them the runs which you don't want. If the mother can't feed them then the vet should be able to recommend a forumla for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with what the others said. I gave our pup a little bit of goats milk watered down and he got the runs from it and he was about 15 weeks at the time. Cows milk is too harsh you'll end up with dehydrated puppies from the runs. Best off with a visit to the vet, perhaps also once mum is feeling better and pups are weaned getting her spayed.

Emz,

Is there any news of Mum and pups???...

Hope all's well...

Darth....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

You can start supplementary feeding when they are 3 weeks old. I soak puppy nuts in goats milk, never had the slightest problem. You can also trim the nails on the pups - very carefully though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emzxxx

thanks very much for advice guys it was very helpful, didn't feed them the cows milk afterall, went to the vets and she gave us the puppy formula milk and all is good now

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Emz,

Is there any news of Mum and pups???...

Hope all's well...

Darth....

all is good now thanks, mother dog was checked and shes fine thankfully giving her some conditioning tablets now and plenty of food as she is quite run down with them all, but pups seem to be perfectly healthy so glad we got the milk sorted:D

thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Great news, Emz.....

Delighted all's well....

Congratulations on the new additions!... Hard work they are!...

Thank God for neutering!....

Darth...

Advertisement