Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a dax hound

Options
  • 14-02-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    I need a bit of help. I am looking to to do something really special for my girlfriend and since i have known her she has wanted a dax hound so i am looking to buy a pup but i have been unable to find one anywhere.
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to look and what kinda price i would be talking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Dachshound aka Teckels come in different varieties. "Dachs" is German for Badger. They come in short-(smooth), long - and wirehaired. They also come in three different sizes: standard, miniature and Kaninchen (again, a German name for rabbit).

Maybe you need to find out first WHICH of those take her fancy?
    :)

And once you know contact the IKC for a list of Irish breeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

EGAR wrote: »
    Dachshound aka Teckels come in different varieties. "Dachs" is German for Badger. They come in short-(smooth), long - and wirehaired. They also come in three different sizes: standard, miniature and Kaninchen (again, a German name for rabbit).

Maybe you need to find out first WHICH of those take her fancy?
    :)

And once you know contact the IKC for a list of Irish breeders.

Thanks its actually short (smooth) miniature variety i should have added (as you can see i am far from what you call an expert :p). I have tried the IKC but their list of breeders doesnt seem to include any miniature short haired
    Thanks for the help it is very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Have you tried the UK KC for breeders in NI?

Or you can check here for breeders:

http://www.champdogs.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres a dog show in Swords on 17th March, you should pop out and chat to some of the exhibitors there and enquire if any of them might have puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, no need for a pet passport.
    We bought one of our dogs to London at christmas on the ferry and train, no problems. You will need a carry case for the dog, no need for ticket or anything. On the way over we were told to leave her in the baggage locker on the deck(beside reception), but on the way back we had to leave her on the car deck in their containers.
    Stenaline allow dogs with foot passengers or in cars but irish ferries don't, only with cars.
    Best give the ferry operator a call, just to check.
    Just remember to bring water and if a long journey a little food, as a young pup wouldn't do well with no food for more than a few hours.

I know a lot of airlines don't take dogs anymore but aerarann do(or did up to recently) and when my sister in law used them they kept the pup at the back of the plane not in the baggage area. But they have rules about the age of pup etc, so you would need to call them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi OP
    These puppies seem to be what you are looking for.
    They are registered wormed etc

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just keep in mind that they can have back problems, I was considering this breed but with their delicate backs wouldn't of suited our home.

Advertisement