Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to study two masters at the same time?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Sorry for a repeat of this but no one at nuim would answer me!!

is it possible to study two at the same time? like one part time and one full time at the same college? is there a limit?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

tuborg wrote: »

is it possible to study two at the same time? like one part time and one full time at the same college? is there a limit?

thanks in advance

almost certainally not. And in any case, if they were any decent level you wouldnt have the time.
    Why on earth would you want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

tuborg wrote: »

thanks in advance

Mine's part-time, i'm in college one day a week, but the amount of work that is expected is full-time, you would be mad to consider doing two at the same time and would end up failing both. Why would you want to do 2? The level of study is not the same as at undergrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Most places will have guidelines saying you can't be registered for more than one course at once (whether undergrad + postgrad or 2 postgrad courses). So almost certainly the answer is no. It is possible that you could be registered for two different masters in separate institutions, but why you'd want to (or whether it'd actually be possible to pass both of them) is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Some schools will run dual degree programs - I'm doing an MBA in the US at the moment, and there are some people in my class doing an joint MBA/MA in International Studies, for example. Takes slightly longer than the regular MBA.

I know some other people doing a joint MBA/MPP (Masters in Public Policy), where they split their time equally between our MBA program and Harvard's Kennedy School - they spend three semesters in each location if I remember right.

If you are interested this might be a way to do multiple degrees in parallel if you can find a similar program.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I wouldnt attempt it if you want to do well in either course. Even if you're evenings are free, you need them to study.

In the long run, two courses with bad results is not better than one good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I heard of one chap who did two taught MA's, one in UCD and the other in TCD about eight or nine years ago. He was absolutely mad though, think he was qualified for a few jobs as well. I wouldn't do it, cost too much as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

You'd need to, quite literally, be a machine to do that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deiseforever

Does anyone think it would be possible to do a taught masters and a higher diploma at the same time? The masters is 12 months and the h dip is 9 months with a thesis in the last 3 months of the masters. they are in two diff universities. I want to do both at the same time because 1. im a mature student and want to get qualified to be out starting work already and 2. if i pass up either one i cant defer them????also, how do i start a new thread i cant find the button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

NO.

There's your answer Deise!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Yes, it is possible. I did two postgrads at the same time in one university. You have to get your supervisor to ask his Head of School/Department and the Head of School/Department of the second School also signs a letter saying it is acceptable. Then the Academic Council OK it.

That's how it worked in practice for me.

In my case each postgrad was very different and it was tougher than I had expected, particularly at exam time. It would have been substantially easier if I had chosen a second postgrad that was closely related to my main postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Does anyone think it would be possible to do a taught masters and a higher diploma at the same time? The masters is 12 months and the h dip is 9 months with a thesis in the last 3 months of the masters. they are in two diff universities. I want to do both at the same time because 1. im a mature student and want to get qualified to be out starting work already and 2. if i pass up either one i cant defer them????also, how do i start a new thread i cant find the button

That is very doable. The three months difference between each course is a godsend; leave the writing up of the Masters until then if necessary. Go for it. The feeling you get at the end of it is pretty satisfying also. But expect some pain and stress - get into yoga, jogging or something. These are the days of your life!

Yours,

somebody who is going back to uni to finish another undergrad this September :)

Advertisement