Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proof of afterlife?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I know there are mediums ect out there that claim that they have contact with the dead, but ive yet to meet one. Thats not saying that there are no mediums that have the ability, id like to think of myself as a believer BUT the question is that everybody asks is WHAT REAL PROOF IS THERE OF AN AFTER LIFE? I know mediums hate that question because its like saying "yeah well, we dont believe you" its not that i dont believe you, its that i slightly if not greatly doubt many mediums, as i said ive yet to come across one that actualy has the true ability. Again im not saying that there are none out there that do not have the ability, but apart from even mediums what i mean is IN GENERAL is there any actual living proof and i mean hardcore solid proof??! Not hearsay or word of mouth or just stories! I mean physical proof?

Please do notuse this thread to produce an argument by jumping to defence, some may read this wrong and feel that what they feel so strongly about is being questioned, well it is being questioned but not with an intention without manners. I genuinly without being smart would like to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

There is no proof of an afterlife, no matter who it is that you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I think the only sufficient proof of an afterlife that you'll ever find will come from your own first-hand experiences. Whatever you personally believe to be the truth is what matters ultimately. No amount of external validation or substantiation can make you believe something unless it's something you've already experienced yourself. Follow your own instincts.

Personally, I do believe in an afterlife. But to each their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

It depends on the person, as does most things.Even the most emphatic evidence could be derided by a cynic or a skeptic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

there is no proof…yet i suggest we all just wait for a couple of years or decades and we will see…soon enough anyway…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

liamwhite wrote: »
    what i mean is IN GENERAL is there any actual living proof and i mean hardcore solid proof??! Not hearsay or word of mouth or just stories! I mean physical proof?

No, absolutely none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

IN GENERAL is there any actual living proof and i mean hardcore solid proof??! Not hearsay or word of mouth or just stories! I mean physical proof?

Not trying to poke fun at the OP, I just thought it was a funny turn of phrase that you were asking for living proof of life after death. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

There's no proof, but it's something thats down to yourself.. I for one do believe in the afterlife and no one can tell me other wise, same for people who don't no one can tell them otherwise.. I'm hoping one day we'll have 100% solid proof but until that day it's down to your own belief.

As they say

For those who believe, no explanation is needed.
    For those who don't, no explanation will ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭liamwhite

Nedermeyer wrote: »
    Not trying to poke fun at the OP, I just thought it was a funny turn of phrase that you were asking for living proof of life after death. :D

You know what i mean, is there proof from a living person that has done research ect i.e scientists ect, not from somebody that hears a whisper in there head and claim its from somebody in the afterlife.. EH HEM mentaly unbalanced lol

I joke, i would love to believe there is something there, part of me does. But when it comes to after life its like religion, people will believe what they want to believe even if there is no proof. I would take after life more serious than religon to be honest, i know both of them link in someway but i dont believe that we all go up in the sky and awnser to a great big figure at pearly gates. Each to there own beliefs, i believe that we keep on living but without out shells (bodies) kind of like what the buddah followers believe, just wish there was some sort of proof. I suppose im at a time in life were i worry about death. altough its one thing were all guaranteed it would be a nice comfort to know fore sure its not the end. :D going to take some prozak now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

You know what i mean, is there proof from a living person that has done research ect i.e scientists ect, not from somebody that hears a whisper in there head and claim its from somebody in the afterlife.. EH HEM mentaly unbalanced lol

I joke, i would love to believe there is something there, part of me does. But when it comes to after life its like religion, people will believe what they want to believe even if there is no proof. I would take after life more serious than religon to be honest, i know both of them link in someway but i dont believe that we all go up in the sky and awnser to a great big figure at pearly gates. Each to there own beliefs, i believe that we keep on living but without out shells (bodies) kind of like what the buddah followers believe, just wish there was some sort of proof. I suppose im at a time in life were i worry about death. altough its one thing were all guaranteed it would be a nice comfort to know fore sure its not the end. :D going to take some prozak now lol

Maybe this is could be your inspiration to start research of you own.
    You could start by clicking the sticky links in this forum.
    I was always interested in the spiricomm experiments,you might find it interesting.

I was just logged off after reading the last post, i hit www.yahoo.com to check my mail and lord behold a big advertisment for the news showed up on yahoo's homepage with this article on it http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2853270/A-pale-young-woman-appears-at-the-window-of-a-ruined-castle-in-a-photo-said-to-show-a-ghost.html :D i tought it was funny seen as i was questioning proof, now i dont know about anybody else but this has photo shop all over it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its all about what you experience. A lot of people see apparations, poltergiest cases and all sorts of unexplained things. I do believe their is something to it. I think there is far too many closed minds to it.

But then there is a lot of cons (nearly always mediums) who really do damage to geniune paranormal investigators. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

KeithAFC wrote: »

But then there is a lot of cons (nearly always mediums) who really do damage to geniune paranormal investigators. Shame really.
    well all i can say is watch this space,,,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

There is a professor in psychology from Arizona Gary E. Schwartz, who has conducted scientific experiments trying to prove the existence of an afterlife. I have read one of his books The Truth About Medium: Extraordinary Experiments with the real Allison DuBois, was really interesting; got a copy of the book that includes the actual experiments (as former just summarizes) havent finished it but so far id say its worth reading. At least someone is approaching the subject with serious scientific experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Sometimes we've had interesting debates over in the Skeptics Corner, before they descended into personal abuse. I have to say I really enjoyed the following debate because it was thought-provoking...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342458&page=4

There is documented phenomena that remains unexplainable to this day, whether or not that could be called 'paranormal'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Quantum John

If any of you guys want proof of an afterlife or proof of god or any of that you must first change your mental picture of the afterlife or of god. There is a workshop in dublin on March 12th www.quantumevents.ie/blog/ that is covering this very issue

If any of you guys want proof of an afterlife or proof of god or any of that you must first change your mental picture of the afterlife or of god. There is a workshop in dublin on March 12th www.quantumevents.ie/blog/ that is covering this very issue

ill be there

It should be great liamwhite. Can't wait for it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For the sake of balance, perhaps people should check out these links about quantum mechanics :)

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/quantum_quackery/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=quantum-quackery

http://polyticks.com/psi/novella.htm
    In reality, the gap between subatomic quantum effects and large-scale macro systems is too large to bridge. In his book The Unconscious Quantum (Prometheus Books, 1995), University of Colorado physicist Victor Stenger demonstrates that for a system to be described quantum-mechanically, its typical mass (m), speed (v) and distance (d) must be on the order of Planck's constant (h). "If mvd is much greater than h, then the system probably can be treated classically." Stenger computes that the mass of neural transmitter molecules and their speed across the distance of the synapse are about two orders of magnitude too large for quantum effects to be influential. There is no micro-macro connection. Then what the #$*! is going on here?
    Okay, Amit, I challenge you to leap out of a 20-story building and consciously choose the experience of passing safely through the ground's tendencies.

It would be great if you came along on the night and put your thoughts to Dr Goswami.

Would you consider doing that?

It would be a welcome contribution to the evening i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks but unfortunately (well, fortunately for me :)) I'll be leaving the country in a week, so couldn't attend !

Perhaps you could present the alternative (ie. conventional scientific) view to Dr Goswami yourself and see what his response is?

Or perhaps someone from the Irish Skeptics would like to attend for same

Doubt they'd be too eager to pay 70 quid for it though :eek:

• Advertisement

Thats a pity that you can't go but I will bring up your point with him if I get the chance.

If you would like to go into a little more detail or clarify exactly what your point is that would be great. There was a lot of ambiguity in the quote you gave earlier.

As I understand it, the 70 is for a workshop and the cost of attending the documentary screening and Q&A session is only 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Logan wrote: »
    For those who believe, no explanation is needed.
    For those who don't, no explanation will ever do.

That sums it up IMO.

The secret to understanding this issue is moving away from thinking of an afterlife as some sort of extension of this life.

Clearly our bodies do not live on. Our bodies are solid material governed by classical laws.

However, our consciousness or our mind is a quantum object governed by Quantum laws. Our minds exsist within the realm of sub atomic particles or smaller particles such as quarks and leptons. The properties that apply to the sub atomic world are nothing like our classical laws and therefore people are quick to write them off as pie in the sky.

For instance, the simple observation of a photon of light changes its properties from that of a wave to that of a single particle.

Electrons seem to communicate instantaneously over any distance

Nothing is ever totally right or totally wrong, that is why I am willing to investigate with an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Luke Kelly

When I was born and saw the light
    I was no stranger in this world
    Something inscrutable, shapeless, and without word's
    Appeared in the form of my mother

So when i die, the same unknown will appear again
    As ever known to me ,
    And because I love this life
    I will love death aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

KingKenny wrote: »
    That sums it up IMO.

Except it is completely false.
    A competent scientific explanation is all that is required.

Until then;
    For those who want to believe, any explanation will do.
    For those who don't, a good one is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Except it is completely false.
    A competent scientific explanation is all that is required.

Science doesn't reach that far.

loldog wrote: »
    Science doesn't reach that far.

Science reaches everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Science reaches everywhere.

What do you mean by everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

For instance, the simple observation of a photon of light changes its properties from that of a wave to that of a single particle.

Minor quibble here, but I believe light is both a wave and a particle simultaneously. There is one experiment that shows light acting as a wave, and another that shows it acting like a particle. That's my understanding of it at least.

• Advertisement

loldog wrote: »
    What do you mean by everywhere?

If it exists there must be some way of detecting it. It's effects have be be seen somewhere.

Advertisement