Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we get a westie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The only thing to bear in mind is that they bark non-stop. Mine barks at other dogs, birds, clouds, horses, diseal engins, ominous shadows and concentrated spots of light.

Your not the lady I've just knocked around to (Dublin 13)? .. :D

Westies, well my mother had one - horrible thing which barked day and night.

I've just returned from a neighbours house, their's barks day & night. Unfortunetly I've been in from work since 09:30am and its 11:30 now and I've still not slept yet and this has been an on going situation for most of the last 12 months.

I've no doubt for their owner's they're a great companion but they'll drive your neighbours nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I'm a male culchie from Clare :p

I've had Gardaí at the house about the dog's constant barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Westies, well my mother had one - horrible thing which barked day and night.

I've just returned from a neighbours house, their's barks day & night. Unfortunetly I've been in from work since 09:30am and its 11:30 now and I've still not slept yet and this has been an on going situation for most of the last 12 months.

I've no doubt for their owner's they're a great companion but they'll drive your neighbours nuts.

I think that kind of barking is more the exception than the rule. My fella doesn't bark non-stop, he's got specific things he barks at. If a dog is barking non-stop then he has issues and its not because of his breed. Our fella doesn't bark at night time or during the day and we've asked our neighbours to be sure that he doesn't. Its a bit of a generalisation to say all westies will drive you nuts.

The only thing to bear in mind is that they bark non-stop. Mine barks at other dogs, birds, clouds, horses, diseal engins, ominous shadows and concentrated spots of light.
    I second all those and my fella hates airplanes and helicopters, police sirens and next door's sister when she comes for a visit - I think he can hear her talking through the fireplace!
    I think that kind of barking is more the exception than the rule. My fella doesn't bark non-stop, he's got specific things he barks at. If a dog is barking non-stop then he has issues and its not because of his breed. Our fella doesn't bark at night time or during the day and we've asked our neighbours to be sure that he doesn't. Its a bit of a generalisation to say all westies will drive you nuts.

So your dog barks at other dogs, birds, clouds, horses, diseal engins, ominous shadows and concentrated spots of light.
    I second all those

Plus airplanes and helicopters, police sirens and next door's sister and your neighbours aren't driven nuts!..

I'm not slagging you off, and I love all types of dogs - esp. the terrriers. But anyone thinking of owning a Westie should bare it in mind that they are a vocal dog and thats something you and your neighbours might have to live with for the next 10-15yrs!.

Speaking for myself, I'm at the end of my tether with this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

So your dog barks at other dogs, birds, clouds, horses, diseal engins, ominous shadows and concentrated spots of light.

Plus airplanes and helicopters, police sirens and next door's sister and your neighbours aren't driven nuts!..

I'm not slagging you off, and I love all types of dogs - esp. the terrriers. But anyone thinking of owning a Westie should bare it in mind that they are a vocal dog and thats something you and your neighbours might have to live with for the next 10-15yrs!.

Speaking for myself, I'm at the end of my tether with this thing.

2 airplanes a day, the odd helicopter, sirens when we're out walking the odd time they pass, and thank God next door's sister only calls couple of times a week. Now while I said he barks at those things, I didn't say he barks non-stop. He'll give a bark, I tell him 'thank you' and he stops. Either the dog next door to you isn't trained or there's something wrong with him, such as separation anxiety. I've always been around Westies and they can all be trained to stop, as can any other dog. All terriers bark and a lot of owners neglect to train their dogs the correct responses.

And him barking at concentrated light spots is hilarious, its like he's seeing ghosts, then he stops because I tell him everything is ok.

Why have you not approached your neighbour? If they're out all day they might not be aware of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Your neighbour sounds like they leave the dog outside all day . My dogs ae indoor dogs so only go out to pee and poo . They may give the odd bark but dogs bark so what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I love my Westie - he's full of character and has always been great with kids. He was our first 'baby' but he adapted really well when we had kids but would I get another one after he departs for doggie heaven (he's 12 now).....to be honest, no. He used to bark nonstop when he was younger, the slightest thing would set him off and I found it very stressful worrying about neighbours. As he's aged the barking isn't so bad but the skin problems started when he was about 7 (I though he'd escaped that Westie problem as my Mom's Westie died at age 8 having spent 3 years on steroids due to his skin problems) but we have to bathe him once a week in very expensive shampoo(Malaseb) or he'll smell dreadful.....washing him so often isn't good for his coat but the smell is unbearable! When the skin problem really flares up and he scratches himself almost raw it's back to the vets for anti biotics, ointments ear drops (ears really get red and itchy)...thats about twice a year. Now, the poor dog has diabetes so it's endless visits to the vet, a very strict diet and we're on a strict timetable with his twice daily injections of insulin.....that's just unfortunate that he should get diabetes, it's not specific to Westies but it's hard to deal with on top of all the skin problems.:(

He's part of the family, will be devastated when he's gone, but whether we get another dog or not, it won't be a Westie....no matter how adorable I think they are.

RH149 wrote: »
    I love my Westie - he's full of character and has always been great with kids. He was our first 'baby' but he adapted really well when we had kids but would I get another one after he departs for doggie heaven (he's 12 now).....to be honest, no. He used to bark nonstop when he was younger, the slightest thing would set him off and I found it very stressful worrying about neighbours. As he's aged the barking isn't so bad but the skin problems started when he was about 7 (I though he'd escaped that Westie problem as my Mom's Westie died at age 8 having spent 3 years on steroids due to his skin problems) but we have to bathe him once a week in very expensive shampoo(Malaseb) or he'll smell dreadful.....washing him so often isn't good for his coat but the smell is unbearable! When the skin problem really flares up and he scratches himself almost raw it's back to the vets for anti biotics, ointments ear drops (ears really get red and itchy)...thats about twice a year. Now, the poor dog has diabetes so it's endless visits to the vet, a very strict diet and we're on a strict timetable with his twice daily injections of insulin.....that's just unfortunate that he should get diabetes, it's not specific to Westies but it's hard to deal with on top of all the skin problems.:(

He's part of the family, will be devastated when he's gone, but whether we get another dog or not, it won't be a Westie....no matter how adorable I think they are.

The poor lad.

From memory I'm sure there's a thread here dealing with issue's related to dog diabetes - issues & management, if your going to search I'm almost positive the poster 'Anniehoo' (I think thats the spelling) gives some good input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

So OP . Gave you decided what you are going to so as you have heard both sides of the Story .

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

the answer is undecided, we are debating what to do as westie was num 2 on our choice list, but dont have the money to get an english bulldog at the moment!

• Advertisement
Advertisement