Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Communication Masters in DIT or DCU?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at my options for a masters next year and I've narrowed it down to two choices. I think I'll go for either Public Affairs and Political Communication in DIT or Political and Public Communication in DCU.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these courses? The content seems quite similiar apart from the fact that there is a work placement involved in the DIT course. Do you think a work placement is beneficial? I think it would probably be good but is it enough to choose one course over the other?

As well as that people have said that employers might think more of a masters from DCU than DIT because DCU is a university, does anyone think that this is the case?
    The DCU course costs 2000 euro more, I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's a better course but why would it be more expensive?

That's a lot of questions but thanks if anyone can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

If it was me, I'd go with DCU. They have a good politics department, and they're fairly well respected in terms of their name. If you wanted to get a work placement, you could keep an eye on activelink.ie and apply to internships/volunteer while you're doing the masters, or maybe over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I may be a little biased as I used to work on the one in DCU - most of the students tend to be working already, so I dont know if that works to your advantage in terms of job competition? :)

On the jobs market, it is a well respected qualification which has had a consistently high application and uptake rate despite the 07 slump - as above, most graduates find employment quickly, of those whom are not already employed. You will get a good range of modules, and unlike some other institutions (sorry), you will get facetime from senior staff and Professors on the core modules.

I'm not sure if the part-time option is in place still (it was last year). If so, you have the option of working and taking your courses in the evening if you wish.

Any questions on the content, fire away or PM, it hasn't changed at all since I was there from what I can see.

On the Uni vs. IT side - I honestly dont think it is as important an issue as it used to be. Quality counts, and a first class MA from DIT will look better than a 2.1 or 2.2. from DCU. In some professions the 'industry experience' emphasis on teaching and research from IT's tends to be more attractive. Having said that, in DCU you have many senior staff whom have come from high profile administration/journalism/public positions, which is good both in terms of course content, and supervision. (Their connections will also serve you well when it comes to doing your thesis).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Thanks that's really helpful. Efla, do you know if the DCU course is hard to get into? I'm expecting to get a 2.1. And is the course itself difficult? My undergrad is history and politics and I find that fine but is a masters a big step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The masters is a big step up, but more of intensity. You will cover specific topics in great detail, but within a narrower range. The biggest problem is managing an accumulating workload. As long as you put in the time (which will be more than your undergrad!), and dont let assignments drift, you have nothing to worry about.

In terms of undergrad, I had graduates of communications, english, philosophy, journalism, biology, engineering, politics, so dont worry about matching experience to the new material, as you will have the time to familiarise yourself.

The course is more intense than difficult - keep on top of the workload and you will be fine - it wont be easy, but it can and should be good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Hey guys,

I hope to do a Masters in Politics and Public Communication in DCU. I just want to know how hard is it to get into the course. I know that there is 30 or 40 places on it, but do you think I have a chance?

I have high 2:2 degree and have much experience in the field of politics.

Any help would be great :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement