Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Newry

Options
  • 14-02-2010 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am doing a undergraduate thesis on cross-border shopping and would be interested in your views on shopping in Newry and what are the bargains still to be made after VAT and excise duty changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best thing to do is simply compare Dublin to Newry prices by opening up www.argos.ie and comparing it to www.argos.co.uk, for groceries go to www.superquinn4food.ie and compare it with www.sainsburystoyou.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

I am doing a undergraduate thesis on cross-border shopping and would be interested in your views on shopping in Newry and what are the bargains still to be made after VAT and excise duty changes.
    ttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744799

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The fact that there is a thread with the last post in 2009 on the first page of the forum as I write this should answer your question. When it was created, this forum was very popular.

Conclusion?: People aren't as interested in cross border shopping now.

Reasons?: Less disposable income for the big purchases, poorer exchange rate, UK VAT increase, and for smaller shops, fuel costs exceed the smaller savings made in grocery shopping unless you're near the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SofiaKarlsson

Thank you for your replies!

I would greatly appreciate if you would take a few minutes of your time out to fill out my online questionnaire.

Please reply to both links:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SVJ29DW
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SVWJC9T

Thank you! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

does anyone know if the sainsburys refurbishment in newry is finished.the last time i was there it was hard to see the goods and the sit in lunch area was about to close.

• Advertisement
    M

horse7 wrote: »
    does anyone know if the sainsburys refurbishment in newry is finished.the last time i was there it was hard to see the goods and the sit in lunch area was about to close.

Not complete but the shop itself is all open and functioning, lunch area is gone now. Aisles have been extended and there's a bit more room walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

horse7 wrote: »

Was up there last friday Atlantic Dawn is right, it's not complete finished just a small area still boarded off but is up and running with no problems.

thanks,lighting ok now in shop,some change in the parking ,you get a bar code at the checkout and scan it in the car park machine outside the store,still 2 hrs free.you cant use the road to b&q ,its closed temp,so if your going there make some enquires.for all the solphidne addics,semi chem have their own brand,about £2 a pack,thats including the codine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Apparently the Newry store is closing for 1 week for renovations starting on Wednesday. Nothing on their website and I've tried ringing them but cannot get through.

M

jos28 wrote: »
    Apparently the Newry store is closing for 1 week for renovations starting on Wednesday. Nothing on their website and I've tried ringing them but cannot get through.

Yes it's on the shopping centre's website...
    Sainsburys will be closing for refurbishments from 6pm Tuesday 16th March and will reopen at 9am on Wednesday 24th March

http://www.thequays.co.uk/news/viewsingle.asp?link=332

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The fact that there is a thread with the last post in 2009 on the first page of the forum as I write this should answer your question. When it was created, this forum was very popular.

Conclusion?: People aren't as interested in cross border shopping now.

Reasons?: Less disposable income for the big purchases, poorer exchange rate, UK VAT increase, and for smaller shops, fuel costs exceed the smaller savings made in grocery shopping unless you're near the border.

Without creating an arguement, I would respectfully beg to differ.....70% of the cars in the Quays yesterday were southern reg....I met many of them coming up the Dublin road, so they travelled further than just surrounding areas....there are still many many bargains to be had in NI that will save you 100s....not sure why the posting on that thread has lapsed...probably because most people know their way around now and are quietly getting on with shopping there....but believe me.....there are a LOT of southern people shopping in Newry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Cicero wrote: »
    Without creating an arguement, I would respectfully beg to differ.....70% of the cars in the Quays yesterday were southern reg....I met many of them coming up the Dublin road, so they travelled further than just surrounding areas....there are still many many bargains to be had in NI that will save you 100s....not sure why the posting on that thread has lapsed...probably because most people know their way around now and are quietly getting on with shopping there....but believe me.....there are a LOT of southern people shopping in Newry...

went to newry for the first time last week, it was quiet in both shopping centres. as sanisburys was closed had to travel to lisburn.
    to be honest i didnt see any huge price diff food wise. the stuff i usually but here in dunnes or tesco was the same in sainsburys, some of them dearer. the only thing that i noticed was a lot cheaper was medical stuff and some some tolieteries. was it worth a 4 hour return trip from dublin to lisburn and 30 euro in petrol. probally not if i was honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

As you say, it depends what you buy- I certainly wouldn't travel weekly (80 miles) to do my weekly shop--- but booze is cheaper, Cigs, many clothes are a lot cheaper....so it's worth it every few months, but agree, not on a weekly basis..

agree not on a weekly basis.i would go every few months,because its a lovely road ,the people are a little different,and there are some different stores also,in all its a very pleasent day out.

Advertisement