Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mobile Data Plan for Nexus One?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dublin geek

Kiter101 wrote: »
    I've heard that some operators block ports e.g. Meteor doesn't allow google calendar to sync, some don't allow voip.
    I use Google Calendar on Meteor with HTC Hero. In general, sync works fine. Syncing did stop at one stage, but I think it was a Google sync problem rather than a Meteor problem. I followed the troubleshooting guide on Google, and that fixed the problem.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'm not sure if you can get the Advance plans on O2 unless you have an iPhone or Blackberry handset. Also, their "unlimited" data is actually limited to 3GB a month. Have you looked at their O2 Clear 350 plan on a 30-day SIM though?

Generally, you're best off sitting down and working out which mobile network you contact most as it's a lot cheaper to contact the same network that you are on (eg. Vodafone give you free VF calls and texts, O2 give you free O2 calls OR texts).

BTW. Meteor do have problems with Google, using Google Contacts, Google Calendar and most of the Android twitter clients if you use them, due to ports being blocked. This is well reported both on Meteor's own forum and on this one. Also, not sure if the problem applies to other Android handsets, but the HTC Hero has major problems jumping between Meteor's 2G and 3G coverage - also well documented both on this forum and on Meteor's. As I say though, this may only affect the Hero - the Nexus may work perfectly fine. It's a pity because Meteor do have some very competitive plans, both for calls/texts and for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Kensington wrote: »
    It's a pity because Meteor do have some very competitive plans, both for calls/texts and for data.

You get what you pay for :D

I use Vodafone Simply myself with a Mobile Internet addon that gives me 1GB of data. Last month I used about 250MB of that. The main reason is that both at home and at work the Nexus One connects to Wi-Fi, so I don't really use 3G that much. The huge advantage of Vodafone's Mobile Internet addon is that you can use it also while roaming, without incurring additional charges. No other operator in Ireland (or perhaps even in Europe) offers this.

To the op: Can you give an example of how you use your phone on a typical day? How long do you browse the Internet? How many Youtube videos do you watch? Do you have Wi-Fi at home and at work? This might give us an indication of how much data you will really use, as 1GB might be perfectly enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

Have been using Meteor Bill-Pay Surf since November on a Hero and now on the Nexus, no problems as of yet - I do most of my app downloading using WiFi at home or at work so have been pretty light on mobile data though (Maps, the odd few searches, etc.) but I've never even come close to the 1gb limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kiter101

Thanks for the replies

You're right about the advance plan with 02. I went into the store today and was told it was exclusive to the iphone. He also suggested to sign up there and then for 12 months as o2 "might" :rolleyes: release this package to cover other phones in the next few months but he couldn't guarantee it.

I'm mostly browsing web, frequent google calendar updates as well as email. So you're right I'd be doing well to get over the 1gb limit.

However, I'd like to start downloading some youtube vids,using google listen and backing up photos .

Maybe best bet is to just do this over wifi at home. If I'm connected to wifi at home does the traffic go preferentially over this or should I switch off mobile network connection?

• Advertisement

Kiter101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

You're right about the advance plan with 02. I went into the store today and was told it was exclusive to the iphone. He also suggested to sign up there and then for 12 months as o2 "might" :rolleyes: release this package to cover other phones in the next few months but he couldn't guarantee it.

I'm mostly browsing web, frequent google calendar updates as well as email. So you're right I'd be doing well to get over the 1gb limit.

However, I'd like to start downloading some youtube vids,using google listen and backing up photos .

Maybe best bet is to just do this over wifi at home. If I'm connected to wifi at home does the traffic go preferentially over this or should I switch off mobile network connection?

With the usage pattern you are describing 1GB will be perfectly enough. Just check your usage daily for the first month to get a feel for the amount of data you are using.

The Nexus One switches to Wi-Fi automatically if it can find an access point that you have connected to before. It is also very easy to see if you are connected to 3G (there is a clearly visible 3G icon at the top) vs. Wi-Fi (there is a clearly visible "antenna" icon at the top and the 3G icon disappears).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

blaz wrote: »
    You get what you pay for :D
    The huge advantage of Vodafone's Mobile Internet addon is that you can use it also while roaming, without incurring additional charges. No other operator in Ireland (or perhaps even in Europe) offers this.

Are you sure? I thought they charged $12 per day . Very interested to know as i travel in the north a bit and am on access + 700 and am paying enough without any any additional fee's. Switch off all connected apps leaving letterkenny . (to be sure to be sure). Does the same apply to isp as to live apn.

roryj wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought they charged $12 per day . Very interested to know as i travel in the north a bit and am on access + 700 and am paying enough without any any additional fee's. Switch off all connected apps leaving letterkenny . (to be sure to be sure). Does the same apply to isp as to live apn.

No, ISP APN is expensive as hell while roaming. Never ever even think of using it while roaming. The "Mobile Internet Addon" uses the live.vodafone.com and the inclusive roaming is available only on this APN.

This fact is (probably intentionally) very well hidden on Vodafone's web site.

http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/internetmobile/faq

"What about roaming and Mobile Internet?

Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a 3G or GPRS roaming agreement."

Advertisement