Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flushing toilet problem

• 14-02-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

We're having trouble flushing our toilet. It has water in the cistern and refills no problem. Its just trying to kick off the flush, seems to fail. It was always a little difficult to get it to start, but since all the water stoppages its stopped altogether. Previously we had a plumber out to fix it and he said that some dirt that got into something.

Any ideas on what it could be, or how I would go about cleaning out any bits?

thanks
    Vincent.
    P.S. I've just noticed it looks like there is a hole in the white piece through which the water seems to flow when I try to flush. A little squirt of water comes out of it each time I attempt a flush. Compared with the other toilet downstairs which does not seem to have this hole. Thing is the hole feels smooth, almost like its supposed to be there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Could be a couple of different things. I am guessing its a lever flush. The hole in the side is pine. Sometimes there is a pce of plastic in it to change the litre of flush but its not a bigh problem that its not there.

If its hard to get going it could be either

The lever arm is stretched a little.

The plastic sheet in the syphon is ripped

or if the plastic was in the hole it may have come out.

Do you use blu loo. I find it cloggs up toilet cisterns terriable.

Have you checked that water is actually flowing in up to the fill line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 stvincent

Interesting you should mention blue loo... yes we do, but wont now!

>Have you checked that water is actually flowing in up to the fill line.
    yes water fills up no problem, until the ball cock stops. Its fairly high up. I have being able to get to it to flush a few times now, by pumping the flush handle a 5 or 6 times, it eventually goes.

I did notice there that there seems to be loose sealant at the bottom of the white plastic that the water flows through when you attempt a flush.

But I wont put any more of the blue stuff down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Take some toilet roll and clean out the bottom of the cistern of the blue loo. See does this improve things. I am not saying it may but its what i do first, This stuff is like superglu it fecks up everything....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

stvincent wrote: »
    I have being able to get to it to flush a few times now, by pumping the flush handle a 5 or 6 times, it eventually goes.

Often this happens in a case where the handle lever is to short. If you take the arm off the handle itself, and just pull completely vertical in one gone, and if the cistern drains fully on one pull thats your probably. If it doesn't well least it rules this out. You would be surprised how often this is the case!

Thanks guys. Lever not too short though, its pulling plunger up fully. I'll give cleaning the blue a go.

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

stvincent wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Lever not too short though, its pulling plunger up fully. I'll give cleaning the blue a go.

thanks again

And you will let us know how you go on - won't you?

I have the same problem too! ---- blue loo (also) I think :(

dh0661 wrote: »
    And you will let us know how you go on - won't you?

Yep, will do.

Advertisement