Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 volt tv

• 14-02-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

hi campers

Just wondering where to go about getting a 12 volt flat screen tv and what type to get .

And that we can see it from different angles in the camper van/ motorhome should i get an lcd tv or another type.

pick up my newer motorhome in six weeks counting the days:).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Take a trip down to DID/Currys/Tescos or the likes and have a look at each. Check around the back of the TV to see which use a 12v transformer, most of the 15" TVs have a transformer these days. Mine came from Currys (up North) and I think it's a Daewoo or something.
    Here's a link discussing same a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SamSloan

Just signed up and was not going to post,but saw your post and I just went through this same thing for my trailer. There are a lot of websites to get a 12 volt tv on. Examples are ivyrose77.com, roadtrucker.com, trucking comfort.com and a more. You can use Google products to search for 12 volt tv. They range in size from about 13" to 22" and some of the main brands seem to be Skyworth, Naxa and Supersonic. I purchased a Skyworth because it had a 1 year warranty, while the others only had 90 days. Great tv with good picture and sound. I purchased a vesa 100 wall mount from wallmart to mount it. The one thing I noticed is that the viewing angle is not as good as the crt viewing angle. So you may want to look for a crt. I went with the lcd because they use less power (about 50 watts) and take up a lot less space. I think the crt gives a better view angle because it is oval shaped (not sure) and the lcd is flat. The viewing angle from side to side is not so bad, but the up and down could be better for sure. One thing though is that you can easily adjusts the lcd with the wall mount. Also consider that the crt is not so readily mountable, as they get quite heavy. I think, the last one I had was at least 25 or 30 pounds. Hope this helps. Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nelly111

12 volt 16" tv/dvd combi can now be bought at Ennis Electrical in Ennis Co.Clare. just ask for Suzanne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

nelly111 wrote: »
    12 volt 16" tv/dvd combi can now be bought at Ennis Electrical in Ennis Co.Clare. just ask for Suzanne

Thanks for the heads up, spammer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

nelly111 wrote: »
    Saorview compatible? How much? Thanks btw !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

What are the viewing angles?.

Lots of the smaller screen tv's have very tight viewing angles like this one which are only 90/65 degrees.

For all the viewers to see a good picture from the different seating positions in the small area of a motorhome you should really buy at least something like this one which has 170/160 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

anyone know if they are 12v?

yes they are 12v

yes saorview compatible also , check price at ennis electrical, ennis co clare

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-05&cat=TV,%20DVD,%20Camera,%20Laptop,iPad&action=brandstory

some real nice led tv's I want to get one from my karmann, and I think 16" is the perfect size, if i just remove inverter and fit the plug before the inverter will she work in the camper on 12v. or is it just plug and go and it will regulate itself.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I have one of these and they are fantastic with very little power consumption.

One slight issue is the view angle in the up or down plane is not the biggest but it's fine for us.

just bought one of those 12v tv/dvd , anyone know if you can get a lead to go into a 12v supply ? see attached photos
    the lead it comes with is a 3 pin 12v transformer at one end and a 4pin thingy at tv end

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/159884/222274.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I bought this lead (from the same ebay seller) and it did the job perfectly....

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/12V-LCD-TV-cigarette-lighter-adapter-lead-/150891012064?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2321ce1fe0#ht_1099wt_1271

If you're getting this lead, just check the connector matches what your TV takes (The one Karmann posted is different to mine).

The previous owner of our motorhome had a 300W inverter plugged into the 12V port, then the TV's transformer plugged into that - bit crazy - getting one of these leads really cuts your power consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

karmaan wrote: »
    just bought one of those 12v tv/dvd , anyone know if you can get a lead to go into a 12v supply ? see attached photos
    the lead it comes with is a 3 pin 12v transformer at one end and a 4pin thingy at tv end

If you ring walkers they will send you the correct 12v lead for that tv, about €16 i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I got one on a UK site can't remember what it was but most people cut off the plug ans wire it to 12v direct.

cipro 55 wrote: »
    If you ring walkers they will send you the correct 12v lead for that tv, about €16 i think.

Thanks,
    i rang Walkers they will have them in next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 gerryt50

Bought one of these for my parents for Christmas http://www.harveynorman.ie/techwood-19-lcd-dvd-combo.html
    widescreen,saorview and 12v. Rear of tv is same as pictures posted by karmaan. Good value at E139, I paid E154 on their 15% discount day before Christmas.

gerryt50 wrote: »
    Bought one of these for my parents for Christmas http://www.harveynorman.ie/techwood-19-lcd-dvd-combo.html
    widescreen,saorview and 12v. Rear of tv is same as pictures posted by karmaan. Good value at E139, I paid E154 on their 15% discount day before Christmas.

What's it viewing angle spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

i got the bush 19" in argos with the 160/170 angle and its a cracker,

would recommend it to anybody, its 12v also but i have my one running off inverter so i cannot comment on the 12v operation side of it, it has a transformer/adapter between 230v plug and the plug that goes in the back of the unit has 12v, so if a lad wanted to use it from 12v supply cutting wires and re joining or getting the proper connection would be the job,

i got it for €149 at the time and the wall bracket was €17 when purchased with the tv, soar view/dvd/led, im happy,

i cannot comment on the hardly normals one.......i mean harvey normans!

• Advertisement

i got the bush 19" in argos with the 160/170 angle and its a cracker,

would recommend it to anybody, its 12v also but i have my one running off inverter so i cannot comment on the 12v operation side of it, it has a transformer/adapter between 230v plug and the plug that goes in the back of the unit has 12v, so if a lad wanted to use it from 12v supply cutting wires and re joining or getting the proper connection would be the job,

i got it for €149 at the time and the wall bracket was €17 when purchased with the tv, soar view/dvd/led, im happy,

i cannot comment on the hardly normals one.......i mean harvey normans!

I got a Bush from Argos too, it's 19" LED and the viewing angle is 178/178 so it has a good picture even looking at it side on.
    It is only mains but as all my sockets are inverter powered when off hook-up that doesn't matter to me.

Advertisement