Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No texts or private no.s

• 14-02-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Spurred on by dirty diesel's thread, I thought I'd post this in retaliation. I had my car for sale in various classified websites and magazines - had very little interest. At the end of each ad, I had clearly stated "No texts or private no's" - I usually won't answer an unknown number anyway.
    About a fortnight ago, I got a text "Ave you still got the BMW". I replied yes and over the next few texts he found out where I was located and arranged to meet me - a lot of it in txt spk so it took me a bit to decipher.
    Anyway, he met me the day we specified, had a friend look over the car and took it for a test drive. After 20 minutes, we agreed a deal - no messing around or fcuking me about.

I also had a set of alloys I wanted to sell off the new car I'd purchased - it was up on donedeal for 9 hours when I got a text "Are the alloys still available?" They were sold 24 hours later and the buyer drove 2 hours to get them off me.

I've sold a fair few cars and thought I could suss out the timewasters by assuming they were if they texted. Some people are just shy, I think, or for some other reason don't like talking to complete strangers who are willing to take (large) sums of money off them:p If you want something sold, you can't really be too fussy about who buys it - if they have the money, that's all that matters!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i almost never answer ads that say no texts.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Following from the mentioned thread too. I sold my car after receiving a few texts.

I got 3 people texting me who wanted to see the car. Another few people where just trying to bring the price down to their budget. And one guy email about taking a trade in against my car.

It took me about 4 days in total to sell the car. I had mine priced at the bottom of the carzone list and it was probably the best spec car out of every cars in it's year. FSH etc perfect condition. Price it right and it sells.

I bought my new car privately too. Amazing spec and the price after I negotiated was the bottom of it's year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I prefer a call with callers number on display. I have never sold anything to someone who contacted me by text as they have never shown up.
    later this week I will be buying a van and I am going to text the seller to see if they respond and call them on a private number just to see how serious they take me.
    Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always ring when buying a car. It's just easier and quicker, and polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Will let you know how it goes.

It probably wont go well.

But since you text him, he has your number. When you ring on private he will answer and will know you are serious about it. So actually, I think it will go well. Good luck finding the right van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

corktina wrote: »
    i almost never answer ads that say no texts.....

It's a bit silly to rule out a possible purchase because the seller states this - do you ring or text when replying to an ad?

One thing that stops me is "No timewasters" In my experience, they're not timewasters, they've seen that what you're selling is a pile of sh1t and don't want to waste their money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I always text first, never ring. From my experience of selling stuff a person phoning and talking ****e is a much bigger time waster than someone dropping me a text.

It probably wont go well.

But since you text him, he has your number. When you ring on private he will answer and will know you are serious about it. So actually, I think it will go well. Good luck finding the right van.

Yes i agree that you can tell if a person is serious or not by a phone conversation and I always try to build a mental picture of the caller but they never look like what I imagined they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The way I see it is it's hard enough to sell a car at the moment, why put another obstacle in your way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

From another point of view is a while back I had to deal with a lot of tradesmen while renovating an old house, my landline is ex-directory and as a test to how reliable a person is I'd call them from it, shows up "unknown number" and if they don't answer it would strike me as suspicious.
    If people have nothing to hide just answer the phone, unknown number most likely means calling from a ex directory landline.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I saw one ad for a car that ended -
    " No texts - email (with no grammatical mistakes) or call after 6pm only"

Your english teacher was selling their car?!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

sesna wrote: »
    I saw one ad for a car that ended -
    " No texts - email (with no grammatical mistakes) or call after 6pm only"

I wonder if that ever sold?

Your english teacher was selling their car?!

My English teacher was actually sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's a bit silly to rule out a possible purchase because the seller states this - do you ring or text when replying to an ad?

QUOTE]

not if you have hearing difficulties and find the phone very difficult to use.Id email if there was a choice, most often there isnt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ive sold three cars on Donedeal over the last year and every single one of them started with a chain of texts followed by a call to arrange the meeting!

when im selling something, i accept texts, calls, emails heck if a pigeon lands on my doorstep with a hand written note i'll follow it up as if somebody out there has the cash and wants your item then you cant be too fussy imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i have no problem getting texts about something i'm selling just as long as it has full words in it not stupid text speak. i would never take anyone who calls on private number serious. i will ask them to call back with their number on or take a number where i can reach them.

sean1141 wrote: »
    i have no problem getting texts about something i'm selling just as long as it has full words in it not stupid text speak. i would never take anyone who calls on private number serious. i will ask them to call back with their number on or take a number where i can reach them.

Whats the issue with text speak once you can understand it? Its not like you are forging some long-term relationship with a potential buyer.

If you were running a business would you turn away deaf/dumb people because communication was more difficult and not ideal to your preference.

I dont get this not answering private numbers. A lot of people might be ringing from a work number etc. When I'm selling a car I wouldn't care once I had their number before arranging a meet up. I always answer private numbers (in day to day life) as if I dont I will spend the next while wondering who it was.

People are funny when it comes to this sort of thing. I know a person that always uses private number when calling anybody but will never answer a private number themselves :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rasper wrote: »
    From another point of view is a while back I had to deal with a lot of tradesmen while renovating an old house, my landline is ex-directory and as a test to how reliable a person is I'd call them from it, shows up "unknown number" and if they don't answer it would strike me as suspicious.
    If people have nothing to hide just answer the phone, unknown number most likely means calling from a ex directory landline.

Am I the only person who sees the irony in this post?

How can you say that if somone does not answer an 'unknown number' it it suspicious without acknowledging that calling from an 'unknown number' can be seen as suspicios.

If people have nothing to hide, they would not call from an 'unknown number'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The only time I EVER use private numbers is when I ring to enquire about something I have a strong interest in buying (outwise I would not be wasting my time ringing).

The reason I use the private number is so that the seller won't keep texting and ringing me afterwards to see if I'm buyign it or not.

If I make the call and find out the info I require and am happy to buy I'll give the seller all my details on that call. If its not something I want to take further then i can leave it without facing hassle from them trying to sell to me.

If the seller doesn't answer my call then I'll never ring again, I'll look elsewhere to buy, its their loss, its a huge buyers market, you either want to sell your item or you don't

just my 2 cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I bought me last bike off donedeal all using texts. I made the deal and everything using texts without even seeing the bike. Still here from the chap the odd time. Personally if I see an ad that says no texts, I just ignore it. Whop cares if its by text, sure are'nt ya still getting your money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

All these stipulations of contact just make the seller look aggressive to me, and make me want to avoid them full stop. My favourite two are:

No dreamers

Christ, if i'm having dreams of a battered up, Black bonneted 96 Civic, then you should really just do me a favour and put me out of my misery

No timewasters

If the only details you've put in the ad, are "mint" or "never let me down", I might just want a tad more info. Based on this info, if I decide not to go ahead, have I wasted your time?

seanybiker wrote: »
    I bought me last bike off donedeal all using texts. I made the deal and everything using texts without even seeing the bike. Still here from the chap the odd time. Personally if I see an ad that says no texts, I just ignore it. Whop cares if its by text, sure are'nt ya still getting your money?

In my experience, it was just wasting my texts - I'd reply back to be offered some silly price or nothing would materialise out of it. I went through a phase of civics so maybe it was the type of buyer I was appealing to.
    daRobot wrote: »
    ........................No timewasters..............

I went to look at 2 different cars a while back, both about an hours drive from home and both descriptions greatly exagerated. I didn't buy either but remember seeing both being advertised for a while after with "readvertised due to timewaster":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

It seems hit & miss, I've had a good few texts for my car at the minute but they either relate to swops for car's I've stated I dont have any intrest in or just a low offer out of the blue.

On the other hand I've had a couple of calls that went one for circa 10 mins each asking me all about the car and them sounding very intrested only to say at the end "well are you intrested in a swop with x/y/z" again being a car that I wouldnt be looking for.

At the end of the day I couldnt actually care be it a text or a number from khazakstan calling once the car would hurry up and sell!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've put 'no private numbers' in ads, purely because I don't answer them if I see it on my phone. If it's someone I know, they'll either leave me a voicemail, or won't have their number blocked.

I'd have no problem responding to a text, providing it was legible, and not an idiotic offer of about half the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

What I've found is texts are great for little questions that might not have appeared in the add like how many owners, extras etc. but when it comes down to them asking to see it and when would be a good time etc. best to give them a ring. No point messing about trying to explain where you live by text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I dont want to be reading ****ing texts, for all i know it could be a 13 year old at the other end of the phone.

Also its quicker and easier to phone.

Safety wise too, i want to know what kinda person is that im dealing with, when making assumptions about the person at the other end of the phone they're rarely wrong.

No texts and private numbers FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

P.C. wrote: »
    Am I the only person who sees the irony in this post?

How can you say that if somone does not answer an 'unknown number' it it suspicious without acknowledging that calling from an 'unknown number' can be seen as suspicios.

If people have nothing to hide, they would not call from an 'unknown number'.

Half the landlines in the country are ex directory which means no number, if someone is offering goods or services to me in exchange for payment, yet won't answer the phone because they dont know who it is then I loose confidence in the character.
    BTW do you answer the door if someone knocks or freak out if the phone rings in work , sorry I just don't understand the mentality or maybe I'm just naive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

All mobile operators except Tesco offer free webtexts. Makes sense to copy and paste a number from an ad.

Why waste money on a phonecall to find out the car (or whatever) is sold?

(Rather than putting in "no private numbers" just put in "No calls from tax man please":))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I rang a number for an ad on donedeal and agreed to meet the seller yesterday as she said that she would be home all day. I drove 30 miles to the village near her then rang her for directions. She said that she was up the road and would be back in half an hour and was going to hang up until I asked her how to get to her house. She gave directions calling a Y cross before her house a cross of four roads, it took me half an hour to find her house a half mile from the village. I had to ask for directions in a shop. I found her house so I rang her and asked was that the house which she confirmed it was. I asked her was she inside she muttered that her mother was inside and hung up as I asked her when would she be back. I parked beside the house and asked someone there when will she be back he said shortly so I waited and waited and waited no sign of her so I rang her again but she wouldn't answer her phone I said fcuk this and drove off. The point of the story is that some sellers are time wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I rang a number for an ad on donedeal and agreed to meet the seller yesterday as she said that she would be home all day. I drove 30 miles to the village near her then rang her for directions. She said that she was up the road and would be back in half an hour and was going to hang up until I asked her how to get to her house. She gave directions calling a Y cross before her house a cross of four roads, it took me half an hour to find her house a half mile from the village. I had to ask for directions in a shop. I found her house so I rang her and asked was that the house which she confirmed it was. I asked her was she inside she muttered that her mother was inside and hung up as I asked her when would she be back. I parked beside the house and asked someone there when will she be back he said shortly so I waited and waited and waited no sign of her so I rang her again but she wouldn't answer her phone I said fcuk this and drove off. The point of the story is that some sellers are time wasters.

happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Toots* wrote: »
    I've put 'no private numbers' in ads, purely because I don't answer them if I see it on my phone. If it's someone I know, they'll either leave me a voicemail, or won't have their number blocked.

I'd have no problem responding to a text, providing it was legible, and not an idiotic offer of about half the asking price.

..if it's someone you know, why would you need to advertise it ?

I Was VB wrote: »
    I dont want to be reading ****ing texts, for all i know it could be a 13 year old at the other end of the phone.

Also its quicker and easier to phone.

Safety wise too, i want to know what kinda person is that im dealing with, when making assumptions about the person at the other end of the phone they're rarely wrong.

No texts and private numbers FTW!

FTS (Seller..;) ), more like.......if you do not want texts, then don't put in a mobile number. It's the same with email. Why advertise something, on the internet, and then say 'no emails' etc? It's like putting an ad in the Golden Pages and saying 'no phone calls'. You either want to sell the item, or you don't. And why do you care who's money you receive ?

And, a phone call is not quicker, btw, especially if you don't answer, and it goes to voicemail..........at least by text, you have my number to reply to. I could call from a blocked no and keep you talking shyte all evening, and you still wouldn't have my number. Safety?...unless you're pshycic, you still won't know anything about whether I'm serious or not

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I prefer a call with callers number on display. I have never sold anything to someone who contacted me by text as they have never shown up.

...I've had people with visible no's, make appointments and still not turn up - you can't blame text for that - that's the calibre of person, not the type of communication that's to blame.

Oh, and, there's a big market from whom text is a god-send. Partially or fully hearing impaired, for a start. Wouldn't it be rude to not answer their texts ? Fair is fair you know.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have no problem with texts provided they are legible and come from a valid number. I would never answer a private number regardless. If they want to say something they can leave a fecking voicemail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I answer private numbers. People who dont are the type who have a few too many people they dont want to talk to. I wouldnt have much faith in those type of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Texts are just another form of communication and to dismiss them on the premise that all texters are timewasters is a bit foolish if you ask me.

I have no problems answering private numbers as I am not hiding from anyone. I always wonder why the Irish have a phobia of answering private numbers.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have no problem with texts provided they are legible and come from a valid number. I would never answer a private number regardless. If they want to say something they can leave a fecking voicemail.

..ok, what's an 'invalid' number, then.........?

And quick straw poll: who amongst you blocks your own number (land or mobile?) ? And if you do, what to you think of people who don't answer your call ?

Ode To The Motorist

I had spammers and chancers than text from a name which has no valid number behind it.
    And quick straw poll: who amongst you blocks your own number (land or mobile?) ? And if you do, what to you think of people who don't answer your call ?
    I have a blocked landline. I release my number on a call by call basis. Generally I only use it to call companies who I do not want them to know my number. If anyone asks if I have a landline I tell them no. Landline is only for family and friends.

For answering mobile number ads, I has a few unregistered phones that I use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have a blocked landline. I release my number on a call by call basis. Generally I only use it to call companies who I do not want them to know my number. If anyone asks if I have a landline I tell them no. Landline is only for family and friends.

For answering mobile number ads, I has a few unregistered phones that I use.

Jeez, you must be a difficult man to track down.. :D

Yeah I don't understand people who dismiss texts as a means of contact. Especially in this current climate. They obviously aren't in a hurry to sell the car or are just stuck up and only want to deal with a specific type of person.

Email I can understand as they might not have access to email on a daily basis or might not know how to use it.

Whatever the reason, as long as the money is not fake, I'd take it off whoever is willing to buy a car I was selling.

Tox

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...I've had people with visible no's, make appointments and still not turn up - you can't blame text for that - that's the calibre of person, not the type of communication that's to blame.

Oh, and, there's a big market from whom text is a god-send. Partially or fully hearing impaired, for a start. Wouldn't it be rude to not answer their texts ? Fair is fair you know.......
    Have to say I agree with you now. We have been talking about texts and private numbers at work and a few of the lads have the same point of view as you.
    So I am prepared to bite the bullet and admit my theory is some what naive on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

If I'm selling something and I get a text about it I'll just ring the person and give them whatever info they want.

If they don't answer I'll prob text them and also leave a voicemail.

As regards private numbers, beggars can't be choosers, and if I have something to sell I'll take calls from anybody.

I have nothing to hide and nobody to fear so I don't have the issue some people have with private numbers.
    Never really understood it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Sold my Car on donedeal through texts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

mickdw wrote: »
    I answer private numbers. People who dont are the type who have a few too many people they dont want to talk to. I wouldnt have much faith in those type of people

+1

They're probably afraid it's the last chap they sold a lemon to, calling again :pac:

The answering machine is a godsend for dealing with private numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rasper wrote: »
    Half the landlines in the country are ex directory which means no number, if someone is offering goods or services to me in exchange for payment, yet won't answer the phone because they dont know who it is then I loose confidence in the character.
    BTW do you answer the door if someone knocks or freak out if the phone rings in work , sorry I just don't understand the mentality or maybe I'm just naive

My folks number is 'ex directory' - it is not in the phone book, if you call directory enquieries you will not get it, etc. but, when they call out, the number shows - solution.

When my door bell rings, there is a little screen, so that I can see who has rung the door bell, and I can speak to them on the intercom before I open the door.

I have caller ID at work - even if it is an internal call. Most work phones have screens showing the number (or name) of the caller.

You say that you loose 'confidence in the character' if they don't answer a private number, but fail to see that the 'character' has lost confidence in the person calling from the private number.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..if it's someone you know, why would you need to advertise it ?
    :rolleyes: I never answer any private numbers, not just ones that phone me when I have something in the buy and sell.

The answering machine is a godsend for dealing with private numbers.

Answering the damn phone is an very simple and obvious solution to finding out who is calling. I dont get this not answering private numbers. Its just childish tbh or are avoiding people due to previous dodgy deals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

In fairness I would answer smoke signals for any ad if I could. Its you who is selling your car and every query is a lead to a potential buyer in some shape or form so its up to you as the salesperson to sell what you are advertising.
    On another note I have 2 phones and my work one has the number barred so is always private.

Handiest solution, use a disposable mobile when selling something. Toss the phone once the deal is done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement