Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No texts or private no.s

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Toots* wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I never answer any private numbers

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have something to hide generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    And quick straw poll: who amongst you blocks your own number (land or mobile?) ?
    I do when I'm making crank calls to people who have vans for sale on donedeal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I set out to buy a van this week, found one on donedeal on Thursday, sent a text asking a few questions, got a reply within half an hour, rang the guy on private number, asked some more questions and told him I would like to see the van.
    We both agreed Saturday would be best day for us, He asked for my mobile number and did i have a landline, gave him both, saw and bought the van today.
    I tended to ignore texts and private numbers when selling stuff as i was of the opinion it could be a time waster. I deliberately made contact with seller of van by text and private number to test my own opinion on the issue.
    My view now is I will accept all private numbers and answer texts the next time I sell something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

P.C. wrote: »
    My folks number is 'ex directory' - it is not in the phone book, if you call directory enquieries you will not get it, etc. but, when they call out, the number shows - solution.

When my door bell rings, there is a little screen, so that I can see who has rung the door bell, and I can speak to them on the intercom before I open the door.

I have caller ID at work - even if it is an internal call. Most work phones have screens showing the number (or name) of the caller.

You say that you loose 'confidence in the character' if they don't answer a private number, but fail to see that the 'character' has lost confidence in the person calling from the private number.

I was always under the impression that if your landline is exdirectory then it shows up as unknown, stand to be corrected but this has been the case for my last 3 lines and many people I know.

I don't live in an apartment so don't need a video intercom, and have no fear to have a face to face conversation with anyone on my doorstep without seeing them first.

Finally if your caller ID in work showed up as the fearful "unknown number" would you refuse to answer, alls I'm saying is who/what ya hiding from???
    Get real Lads , everyone that calls is not a Nigerian prince who needs your bank account number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They have something to hide generally.

No, but the people they ring think they do.......

Or, just 'cos you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when i phone up to buy a car or anything substanial i usually hide my number, if i find the item is what i'm looking for i will reveal my number & name to the seller

the reason i hide my number is that i don't want the seller phoning me back if i'm not interested in the item for sale > which has happen on a few occasions

> anyway i usually avoid ads with no private no's and texts - they come across as cranky f&ckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fryup wrote: »
    the reason i hide my number is that i don't want the seller phoning me back if i'm not interested in the item for sale > which has happen on a few occasions

...so you think if someone is advertising something, that he's automatically out to waste YOUR time ?

Like, your time is more valuable than his ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...so you think if someone is advertising something, that he's automatically out to waste YOUR time ?

Like, your time is more valuable than his ?

ya right

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

fryup wrote: »
    the reason i hide my number is that i don't want the seller phoning me back if i'm not interested in the item for sale > which has happen on a few occasions[/I]
    I don't hide my number and have *never* had a seller phone me back. Maybe if if they were selling something dodgy they might tho... dunno... never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

rasper wrote: »
    Half the landlines in the country are ex directory which means no number, if someone is offering goods or services to me in exchange for payment, yet won't answer the phone because they dont know who it is then I loose confidence in the character.
    BTW do you answer the door if someone knocks or freak out if the phone rings in work , sorry I just don't understand the mentality or maybe I'm just naive

if someone knocks i'll ask who's there! ;)
    it's rude not to show your number because you obviously know who you are calling; therefore it's also fair to let them know who they will be talking to, if they pick up.
    just my point of view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ive just sold another car by text!
    no voice interaction until we met up and haggled a price and then the car was picked up today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Just sometimes, And I mean sometimes....Potentional buyers are in work(or Other peoples company) where they cannot ring without drawing attention. Whereas they can with a txt. And rather than miss out on their dream purchase they send a txt on the initial contact.

Also no offense to anyone but for a a txt you do not need to understand an accent, unlike talking in person, It's in black n white as such.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Advertisement