Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed, MEng in Communications Systems, Network Security and Music Technology.

Options
  • 14-02-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello board,

I am trying to decide on a masters and would greatly appreciate feedback on my questions from students currently taking the masters in question.

MEng in Computer and Communications Systems & MEng in Information and Network Security

1) When looking at the prospectus I didn't see a maths requirement. Is there a mathematical element to the course and if so, how did you find it (level of difficulty)?

2) How did you find the programming element to the course? Were you taught everything you needed (in relation to programming) to complete the course or did you need experience in programming before taking the course.

3) How difficult do you find the course?

4) Are these courses funded, NDP or otherwise.

MSc / MA in Music Technology

I don’t know what this course is, I've read the prospectus and still don't feel like I know what it is a student of this course does. Could someone fill me in? E.g. what skills are required, what the subjects are like etc.

When answering don’t forget to specify which masters you are talking about.
    Regards,
    David.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I'm currently doing the MEng in Information & Network Security

1) Theres one module of Maths. Its pretty tough. Elliptic Curves, Factors etc The exam was fine, but the module its self is a slog

2) Theres a C++ module in 1st semester, and a Java module in 2nd Sememster (Under the Web module) While you are taught it from the beginning, experience is beneficial.

3) If you already have a Comp Science/Engi course it shouldn't be too difficult as you will have done much of it before, but coming from something else might be a different kettle of fish

4) No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davidlpower

Peteee wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the MEng in Information & Network Security

1) Theres one module of Maths. Its pretty tough. Elliptic Curves, Factors etc The exam was fine, but the module its self is a slog

2) Theres a C++ module in 1st semester, and a Java module in 2nd Sememster (Under the Web module) While you are taught it from the beginning, experience is beneficial.

3) If you already have a Comp Science/Engi course it shouldn't be too difficult as you will have done much of it before, but coming from something else might be a different kettle of fish

4) No idea

Thanks Peteee,

I really appreciate your feedback. What did you study before going into the course? How would you regard your mathematical ability, I'm not very good myself. Lastly would you be able to send the notes for that class (Your talking about the Cryptographic Mathematics module right?), I'd really like to see them for myself.

Thanks again Peteee.

I studied Computer Systems as my undergrad and have 18 months experience as a software developer.

Will send on the notes when I get home, I'd rate my maths ability as quite poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davidlpower

Peteee wrote: »
    I studied Computer Systems as my undergrad and have 18 months experience as a software developer.

Will send on the notes when I get home, I'd rate my maths ability as quite poor!

Thanks a lot Peteee, I will PM you my email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

So is there anyone else looking at doing this in September. Petee how did you get on with the course.
    I have gotten acceptance to do it but I am not sure about whether I will or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

I'm definitely doing INS in September anyway, and I know of at least 4 more from the graduating classes of Computer Systems/Games Development are as well. I quite like the look of it.

Got on fine.

Got a 2.1 from the exams and am currently doing the thesis.

Advertisement