Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New van conversion

• 14-02-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm hoping to start a van conversion this month...very exciting.
    I'm looking at a lwb, high roof, ford transit (front wheel drive,low floor)this week .
    I'm a carpenter and have worked for a furniture designer in the past so would be fairly confident with the internal furniture.I've limited experience with plumbing,electrics ect but am looking forward to give them a go.
    As far a lay out goes i was thinking something similar to the autocruise alto alto_day.gif
    http://www.autocruise.co.uk/van-conversions/360-views
    Also here's a link to a 360 degree view..

I've been reading a lot of conversion blogs and this forum of course and am hoping to do everything myself....
    Also i'm on a tight budget so any advice on money saving tips or were to pick up bargins would be much appreciated.
    So here's the shoping list.

1. Insulation....probably go for rockwool on the sides and kingspan (25mm) top and bottom...then battened out and ply.seen a good idea where a recess was left in the floor to take wiring and plumbing.
    2. Bathroom....proably the most expensive part....shower tray,toilet,flip up sink,3mm plastic sheets for walls,shower head....
    3. Windows, roof lights.....seitz seem to be the most popular but quite expensive..founds some on ebay that claim to be like seitz a lot cheaper...will need 2 for the sides (900*450) and one for the back door(500*450).I'd love a nice big rooflight for the front and a small rooflight/vent for the back
    4. Sink and hob...seen this one for £150 at www.camper-parts.net .seems to be a decent enough price considering the same one was £200 on another site.SMSerie500.jpg
    5. oven...again seen this one for £240F211.jpg
    6. Seats....so i'm going to need a new single passenger front seat,a pair of swevil brackets and move the the double front seat into the back along with new seat belts....have a friend who's a metal fabricater so hoping to get help from him making any adjustments.
    7. Bed....i really like the bed seup in the autocruise alto..it has a fold up frame that allows acces to the back door and under bed storage....http://www.autocruise.co.uk/uploads/Reviews/Autocruise%20Alto.pdf as for the matress ,might look at adjusting a standard matress or making one to shape from meomry foam.I also seen an idea for a bed to the front that hangs from the roof at the 4 corners to give a double bed but will need to look more in to this..
    8. Fridge....again a like the position of the fridge in the alto...it's up high so it's over the bottom of the bed giving more room for the the bed itself. Seen a 3-way fridge for £355 at www.rainbowconvertions.co.uk
    9. Water heater and air heater....I've seen some that run of gas that do both so will look more in to that.
    10. Electrics...this is something i don't now a lot about...i think i'll need a zig type unit and lots of wires:)internal lighting run of 12v and mains..3 mains plug sockets
    11. Plumbing...shouldn't be to tricky...fresh water tank,waste water tank....somewhere for gas .
    12. upholstery...not sur about this...my mother is handy enough with a sewing machine so might talk nicely to her about that one...i'd probably give putting material on walls ago myself.
    13. Furniture....Do this for a living so looking forward to this ..might go for a mix of wallnut and beech or cherry.....
    14. The outside....don't want to have to do a respay so probably just a good clean up and some nice graphics..

So that kind of the plan...still a lot of home work and of course try find the right van..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Just found a web site that sells rubber seal windows.
    http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/vehicle-window-brochures/Rubber-Fit-Window-Accessories-2009.pdf
    There a fraction of the cost of seitz windows although not as nice.
    Maybe go for a mix of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hi

Will be soon starting a conversion myself. In regards to a van, I did aquire a LWB transit like this one only with a single axle.

Windows. My van already has a window fitted on the sliding door, so I've sourced a few windows from a mini bus for €40 each. Much cheaper than a seitz version.

In terms of wiring, there is plenty of help out there on how to do it. Check out the Self Builders Corner thread, it has plenty of links to sites. Personally, I did buy the Haynes manual for building camper vans. A lot of the book is guff, but there are some good sections in it. I've spent some years as a spark so this part of it doesn't really bother me.

Plese let us know how you are getting on, and what van you get etc.... as tips and tricks as you go along will be a great help. I intend to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

del88 wrote: »
    Just found a web site that sells rubber seal windows.
    http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/vehicle-window-brochures/Rubber-Fit-Window-Accessories-2009.pdf
    There a fraction of the cost of seitz windows although not as nice.
    Maybe go for a mix of the two.

You do realise that with their aluminium frame even in the double glazed version they will be a cold bridge in your insulation and a source for endless condensation and thus ...eventually... rust?

Also, Rockwool (or similar) is not very suitable for insulating vans. It has a tendency to sag, exposing naked section of sheet metal and, much worse, it also absorbs water (condensation), chanelling it into metal folds, breeding rust

Materials that come highly recommended are armaflex or x-treme isolator. Those are closed pore foams that do not absorb water and that can be glued straight to the metal panels.

Hi

Will be soon starting a conversion myself. In regards to a van, I did aquire a LWB transit like this one only with a single axle.

Windows. My van already has a window fitted on the sliding door, so I've sourced a few windows from a mini bus for €40 each. Much cheaper than a seitz version.

In terms of wiring, there is plenty of help out there on how to do it. Check out the Self Builders Corner thread, it has plenty of links to sites. Personally, I did buy the Haynes manual for building camper vans. A lot of the book is guff, but there are some good sections in it. I've spent some years as a spark so this part of it doesn't really bother me.

Plese let us know how you are getting on, and what van you get etc.... as tips and tricks as you go along will be a great help. I intend to do likewise.
    Hi fingers
    Cheers, i'll try get the haynes manual...i'm trying to get as much info as possible at the moment so that should come in handy....
    ye thats a good idea for tip and tricks...if i see anything that looks good i'll stick it up..
    That van looks the job .....Whats your plan for the lay out?

peasant wrote: »
    You do realise that with their aluminium frame even in the double glazed version they will be a cold bridge in your insulation and a source for endless condensation and thus ...eventually... rust?

Also, Rockwool (or similar) is not very suitable for insulating vans. It has a tendency to sag, exposing naked section of sheet metal and, much worse, it also absorbs water (condensation), chanelling it into metal folds, breeding rust

Materials that come highly recommended are armaflex or x-treme isolator. Those are closed pore foams that do not absorb water and that can be glued straight to the metal panels.

Hi peasant.
    That's just the sort of feedback i was hoping for...What sort of windows would you recomend?
    Would this type be the same?
    Won't be using rockwool so ...dampness is probably the biggest thing i want to avoid...once the insulation is closed in there will be not way of changing it....i think i'll use a vapour barrier as well.
    Any more advice would be greatly appreciated .

• Advertisement

...What sort of windows would you recomend?

Firts off, I have never converted a van, so I'm by no means an authority on the subject.

I would prefer the seitz type window for better insulation and less condensation.
    Having said that, their framing is different and they don't just fit into the cutout like the rubber seal windows do, afaik they need some sort of wooden sub-frame.

If you could place the rubber seal windows in such a way that condensation from the frame doesn't soak/rot anything and if you were prepared to take them out again after a few years to treat the cutout underneath for signs of rust, they may well do the job

That van looks the job .....Whats your plan for the lay out?
    Thats not actually my van, but mine is a very similar one. Don't have any pics yet

As for the Layout, I haven't planned one yet so I'm open to suggestions. Will be workin on a layout this week. Honestly don't think i'll bother with a toilet, but again, I'm open to correction on it so would appreciate any feedback.

Any ideas of who does them locally round Sligo Pesant by any chance?

unfortunately not

what you're looking for is material that's like those thin foam mattresses that are used for hiking and camping.
    like this: http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/50022-x_trem_20mm_1450breit_lfm/

Full?id=2236807

Seen this on donedeal...new shaped fiat ducato extra long wheel base ,high roof,33000 miles for E11,900..looks nice and clean.
    I've sent an e-mail off for more info....don't want to rush in but this looks a good deal.

Thats not actually my van, but mine is a very similar one. Don't have any pics yet

As for the Layout, I haven't planned one yet so I'm open to suggestions. Will be workin on a layout this week. Honestly don't think i'll bother with a toilet, but again, I'm open to correction on it so would appreciate any feedback.

I'd defo go for a toilet...as for the layout ,find one you like ,thats suits what you plan to do with the van then copy it....
    I like the autocruise alto because of the way the bed flips up...i do Kayaking so will have no problem getting them in down the centre of the van...

• Advertisement

Clearly your idea of a tight budget and my idea of one are two different things. Going with €11.8K as a budge for a van, I would recommend:

This. Serious bit of machinery
    Full?id=2323249
    03 Wagon for €3.5K and a crew cab, so will have windows etc in back.

Or This:
    Full?id=2367541
    05 LWB Hi Roof for €6K

Or This even:
    Full?id=2336748
    This is a 07 LWB HI ROOF and is coming in under 10K. Much better value imo.

Then again, maybe this:
    Full?id=2199421
    06 LWB HI Roof for €7.3K

Can you tell that I'm a fan of the Iveco? They are serious machines and are massive, if its size you're looking for with that budget. I think you'd need to be bonkers to get a fiat over these wagons.

Do you know anywhere that has plans or layouts laid out online that I can look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I recently purchased new shape ducato for conversion.Figured will want it to last 20+yrs so should be in good order to start.Have fitted 2 seitz windows.Insulation is foil backed fiberglass plus a layer of 2L2(silver bubble wrap)This comes with aluminium foil which when sealed acts as a vapour barrier.

Clearly your idea of a tight budget and my idea of one are two different things. Going with €11.8K as a budge for a van, I would recommend:

Do you know anywhere that has plans or layouts laid out online that I can look at?

ye the van budget has gone up ...talked my father into partly funding my project with the promise of shared usage....
    ye the iveco is some van...i'm going looking at vans on saturday inside and out so will try look at some ivecos as well..

Here's a few sites with layouts that are possible in panel vans.

http://www.tributemotorhomes.co.uk/layout.htm
    http://www.autocruise.co.uk/van-conversions
    http://www.swiftleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/mondial/mondial-range/layouts
    http://www.chaussonmotorhomes.co.uk/chausson_twist_02_2010.php
    http://www.motorhomechooser.co.uk/featured-timbdestiny-d.php

defike wrote: »
    I recently purchased new shape ducato for conversion.Figured will want it to last 20+yrs so should be in good order to start.Have fitted 2 seitz windows.Insulation is foil backed fiberglass plus a layer of 2L2(silver bubble wrap)This comes with aluminium foil which when sealed acts as a vapour barrier.

ye i love the ducato...lovely shape
    where did you get the bubble wrap...hey it would be fantastic if you could stick up a list of everything you bought and where you got it...
    would be great if you could stick a few photos up also:D

ye i love the ducato...lovely shape
    where did you get the bubble wrap...hey it would be fantastic if you could stick up a list of everything you bought and where you got it...
    would be great if you could stick a few photos up also:D

I dunno, Ducato's are just Meh to me.. I think the Iveco give more of an 'I'm Big, get outta my way or I'll pummel you' sort of feel, which I like. Pity I can't afford one though, I'm stuck with a transit. Still though...

I think something along the lines of this thermawrap would be the bubblewrap type thing.

Will be doing my own conversion soon (hopefully making an actual start next friday) so will start my own thread on how and what I'm doing then.

Before applying any insulation I would make sure that all the seams, folds, nooks and crannies where water could run into or sit in are waxoyled.

You'll never get at those areas as easily again

Bought it from a company in Cork.120euro for 30sq m. Easily found on google.

Bought it from a company in Cork.120euro for 30sq m. Easily found on google.
    Thanks...where did you buy your windows??
    photos look great...keep em coming
    Before applying any insulation I would make sure that all the seams, folds, nooks and crannies where water could run into or sit in are waxoyled.

just watched a few vids on waxoyled...looks like good stuff...will give that a go...
    I dunno, Ducato's are just Meh to me.. I think the Iveco give more of an 'I'm Big, get outta my way or I'll pummel you' sort of feel, which I like. Pity I can't afford one though, I'm stuck with a transit. Still though...

I think something along the lines of this thermawrap would be the bubblewrap type thing.

Will be doing my own conversion soon (hopefully making an actual start next friday) so will start my own thread on how and what I'm doing then.
    That thermawrap looks great ...i've seen something similar been used on a van on the SMBCC web site...

Windows fridge cooker/sink from O learys campervan supplies in england.
    Posted over for 100 pounds.Check their website.

Windows fridge cooker/sink from O learys campervan supplies in england.
    Posted over for 100 pounds.Check their website.

CAK tanks have a massive catalogue and a price list to go with it. Worth a look, they seem to have everything. You can download both of them

http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Thanks Peasant.

Can these be reached with just the aerosol can? Is there a need to get the gun and all for it?

Went out yesterday looking for vans.....think i've decided on a fiat ducato/peugeot boxer/citreon relay...their basicaly the same van.i'm on the look out for the maxi van version (extra long wheel base and high roof)
    allthough the long wheel base version would work fine.
    The big plus was the fact that the hand break is not in the centre of the cab so dosen't effect with fitting the swivel seats.
    So still trying to price everything....finding it tricky to get my head around the electrical side of things.
    I found one site that seemed to explain things a bit.
    http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/electrics.html
    Still not to sure what i need ..there seems to be lots of diffrent set ups.

looks like i need a leisure battery charger..
    some sort of control panel for it (zig unit or similar)
    12volt fuse board
    a leisure battery
    switches for water heater,water pump,
    water level indicators
    cable
    mains inlet
    mains consumer unit with rcd
    sockets

thats all for now but i'm sure i've missed a few things

Thanks Peasant.

Can these be reached with just the aerosol can? Is there a need to get the gun and all for it?

Best to do it with a long brush and sort of stipple it in. The gun is handy for where the brush doesn't reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Hi I bought my Electrical panel from O Leary, comes as a complete unit with ELCB Tripswitches, charger low voltage outlets fuses pump switch and battery indicator and a few more bit, I got everything else electrical wise from a wholesaler yesterday.

pandos wrote: »
    Hi I bought my Electrical panel from O Leary, comes as a complete unit with ELCB Tripswitches, charger low voltage outlets fuses pump switch and battery indicator and a few more bit, I got everything else electrical wise from a wholesaler yesterday.
    Hi pandos
    Just had a look at their web site...which one did you get??
    By any chance would you have a list of everthing you needed...cheers

Aaaaaaaaaarrrghhhhhhh RATS!

I'd found a caravan for €650 today as a donor and drove about 2 hours to see it. Got there, different caravan and yer man wanted 1800 for it. Turns out he sold the one that I was after and never removed the ad from the net. Baxtard.

Feck. I was hoping I'd get it and that would have given me 95% of bits.

If anyone knows of a donor going (storm damaged, crashed etc) caravan, fairly cheap in the North West can you let me know please, I'd be interested....

Thanks, and again.... Feck!

I feel your pain ....
    Check out done deal.....http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/all/Ireland/caravan?sort=price&start=30

keep the faith ...good caravans come to those who wait..

Well had a look at a van yesterday...it was a fiat ducato maxi.
    Not a bad van but the guy wouldn't move on the price and he had already started converting it himself and the window layout didn't suit so the search contiues.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Hi pandos
    Just had a look at their web site...which one did you get??
    By any chance would you have a list of everthing you needed...cheers
    del88

Sorry no list, but if I had one it would keep getting longer.

Am nearly finished now and might make out a list when I am finished but if you are working with self use in mind then a caravan is the cheapest source, I intend to sell this one and build another identical one so only new gear is being used,

If I was starting again on a tight budget I think a trip to the UK pick up a van cheap and go directly to caravan scrapyard, buy a complete caravancut out all of the bits that are usable and bring them home in the van,

I built my first camper from a donor caravan and it was really cheap and easy.

• Advertisement

pandos wrote: »
    del88

Sorry no list, but if I had one it would keep getting longer.

Am nearly finished now and might make out a list when I am finished but if you are working with self use in mind then a caravan is the cheapest source, I intend to sell this one and build another identical one so only new gear is being used,

If I was starting again on a tight budget I think a trip to the UK pick up a van cheap and go directly to caravan scrapyard, buy a complete caravancut out all of the bits that are usable and bring them home in the van,

I built my first camper from a donor caravan and it was really cheap and easy.

Trouble is gettin a donor that has everything you want for cheap.

Not so easy really. Wonder has anyone been to caravanbreakers.net in wales?

Advertisement