Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tea!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Daffs wrote: »
    Defo recommend Ditching the teabag. If you want regular tea (or what we Irish regard as regular) try an Assam or Ceylon Blend or even a single estate tea - Assam 'Corramore' or Assam 'Molkabari'.
    I never thought I could manage to convince my parents, who are too used to teabags & would assume that loose tea was too much bother. I filled up their press with some 'Corramore' tea at Christmas...and they thought the Barry box of tea, they bought was gone off when they went back to it...eh Voila! They're converted!

I haven't read the whole thread but I had to comment on this. I'm the same, I'm a big tea drinker and after a long time off the loose tea I've recently gone back to the bother of making it. I even got a special tea pot for it. Its so much better than in bags. I've just been drinking Barry's though. Any other ones? Nothing looking for anything fancy, just a good cuppa ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Hey David900, try any of the Loose Assam or Ceylon Blends - let me know how they'd compare to the Barrys Loose - things just keeping gettin better, i promise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Daffs wrote: »
    Hey David900, try any of the Loose Assam or Ceylon Blends - let me know how they'd compare to the Barrys Loose - things just keeping gettin better, i promise!!

Where can you buy them, and whats the price range?

I buy from www.clementandpekoe.com, an Irish online shop and the p&p is really reasonable. Or else, as others have mentioned. They are a few tea shops popping up around town. FYI, I don't recommend the tea from Georges Arcade. They look like they've seen better days & had bought from a few times before I discovered clement & pekoe.

Sorry meant to say Price ranges from €4/€6 per 100g. I spend about €50 to get p&p free but thats cos I like my tea. Works out about 10c a cup, so not really too steep for some proper cuppas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I will take maybe 3-4 cups of lyons gold blend during the day, just having one this minute at the desk.... only great..

In the evening I will have either a Rob Roberts Cineese green tea with some honey or a Camomile. Both equally pleasant and enjoyable.

Lyons is without a doubt the best tea....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Am I allowed resurrect this thread?? Mods please feel free to move to a new one if needed....

I'm looking to make up a (small) hamper of loose teas for my sister - she's a firm tea drinker first thing in the morning, although she drinks plenty coffee as well. I've heard her in the past saying that it's really hard to get good loose tea - which is where I got the idea for present.

Now, I'm a firm and incontrovertible coffee addict - I'd be doing well to drink one cup of tea per year. So I know diddly-squat about tea.

Can anyone recommend a few teas that she might enjoy? I think her tastes are fairly mainstream - ie no mad herbal or fruit concoctions (I've never seen her drink anything but "normal" tea).

Also places to buy? I've seen something-and-pekoe (sorry, can't remember the name) recommended on here - are they still on the go? Any shops that might be worth visiting?

My price limit is about €30 (we limit the present buying for each other) so I can't buy a huge big bumper hamper, but a nice selection would go down well.

Any help/advice/tips much appreciated in advance!

I'm in Dublin btw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

All you want here, and they'll post aswell. Been buying off them for a few months now. Brilliant tea. I collect my tea from them in Dunlaoighre.

http://www.kingfishertea.com/

Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast tea is nice. Normal tea :)
    Have bought a few greens and herbal / flavoured teas. All good. Cheap aswell.

You could go for a "Sampler Pack" initially. I did and it was good.

Planet X wrote: »
    All you want here, and they'll post aswell. Been buying off them for a few months now. Brilliant tea. I collect my tea from them in Dunlaoighre.

http://www.kingfishertea.com/

Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast tea is nice. Normal tea :)
    Have bought a few greens and herbal / flavoured teas. All good. Cheap aswell.

You could go for a "Sampler Pack" initially. I did and it was good.

That looks like just what I'm after! Where do you collect in DL? Have they a shop? All I could find on the website was an address in Enniscorthy..... Anyway, I'll get in touch with them.

Thanks for the link!

Dunlaoighre Peoples Park, Sunday morning from about 10am. on.....
    The Food Market.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Am I allowed resurrect this thread?? Mods please feel free to move to a new one if needed....

I'm looking to make up a (small) hamper of loose teas for my sister - she's a firm tea drinker first thing in the morning, although she drinks plenty coffee as well. I've heard her in the past saying that it's really hard to get good loose tea - which is where I got the idea for present.

Now, I'm a firm and incontrovertible coffee addict - I'd be doing well to drink one cup of tea per year. So I know diddly-squat about tea.

Can anyone recommend a few teas that she might enjoy? I think her tastes are fairly mainstream - ie no mad herbal or fruit concoctions (I've never seen her drink anything but "normal" tea).

Also places to buy? I've seen something-and-pekoe (sorry, can't remember the name) recommended on here - are they still on the go? Any shops that might be worth visiting?

My price limit is about €30 (we limit the present buying for each other) so I can't buy a huge big bumper hamper, but a nice selection would go down well.

Any help/advice/tips much appreciated in advance!

I'm in Dublin btw.

My Regular Clement & Pekoe, I think is who you meant.
    They are Irish & have opened a shop in Dublin recently on South William St. Loads of Teas on offer, they do coffee too. I know they do Gift Boxes and should point you in the right direction on teas in general

Thanks a million guys, that's a few leads for me to try. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Barrys Classic Blend (the one with the black box) is actually rather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Quick question, since it looks like this tread is alive again.....I am big into tea....Love green tea and peppermint tea etc

Use loose tea as much as possible......

until a couple of years ago I always made strong tea with milk in it (talking barrys gold label)

but for the last few years i prefer no milk just black....it means I dont make the tea as strong anymore...

What way do most people who really like tea drink it? is it a waste to buy really tasty tea and put milk in it?

I guess it is really a personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

cuculainn wrote: »
    Quick question, since it looks like this tread is alive again.....I am big into tea....Love green tea and peppermint tea etc

Use loose tea as much as possible......

until a couple of years ago I always made strong tea with milk in it (talking barrys gold label)

but for the last few years i prefer no milk just black....it means I dont make the tea as strong anymore...

What way do most people who really like tea drink it? is it a waste to buy really tasty tea and put milk in it?

I guess it is really a personal preference

Most of the tea sold here is normally some permutation of Assam/Kenyan/Ceylon varieties which lends itself well to milk. And then there's also chai tea which is blended specifically to be mixed with milk/sugar.

But something like a Darjeeling first flush or Earl Grey with milk? Nope, pointless in my opinion. Rest assured, there's a world of great tea out there if you prefer to drink it straight

Belated many thanks to those who gave me tips for my present-buying recently. I got a lovely selection from the Kingfisher Tea guys, at a very reasonable price, and the presents went down a treat.

Best of luck to them.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeaDude

Thank you for the recommendation! I'm going to give it a try :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

white tea (any!)
    green tea (decaff) + dash of mint.

black tea: (for the occasional slight caffeine):
    Twinnings breakfast with unsweetened almond milk.

White is the healthiest, aside from the detox(nettle etc.) type ones of course. Coffee==bad.
    And yes, my farts smell like flowers...

Coffee isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Joe Doe wrote: »
    White is the healthiest, aside from the detox(nettle etc.) type ones of course. Coffee==bad.\

where did you get this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

White tea is totally loaded with antioxidants, even more so than green tea {esp. catechins/flavonoids} all of which may help thin the blood and improve artery function {plague reduction}. White tea increases good cholesterol, while decreasing the bad. Could also assist with antibacterial & antiviral functions....

A study at Kingston University in 2009 showed that white tea has high anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-collagenase, and anti-elastase properties which could potentially reduce the risks of developing rheumatoid arthritis, some cancers, heart disease and slow the enzymatic break-down of elastin and collagen, traits which accompany aging...

The single biggest issue with coffee is that it is acid forming, akin to white sugar and white bread. Also over stimulating the adrenalin glands is all well and good if your spear hunting, pillaging and fending nomadic shelters from foes, but if you're a desk jockey, typing querty keys, not so much...

Advertisement